A freak for riding my sportbike more than 100km a month?

Kaiser Soze
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

A freak for riding my sportbike more than 100km a month?

#1 Unread post by Kaiser Soze »

I'm a little baffled. I was briefly floating the idea of selling my GSX-R750, and something really caught my attention. At exactly one year old my bike has 6500 km on it, which is 2.5 to 20 times as many kms as similar bikes on the market.

If anything, I thought I rode *less* than most people. I did one long trip out to BC last year (maybe 1800 km) with the rest being mostly local. I see bikes advertised with 300-600 km, a bunch around 1000-1200 km, and a *very* small number at around 3000. I can't imagine having a bike this expensive and only putting 200 km a month on it. Do these guys pull out, go up and down the main drag a few times for some wheelies, then go home?

I had people call me about the bike and question the mileage, in a "why would you do that" tone. One guy asked about the trip to BC, saying "whoa, what would a long ride like that do to the engine?" :frusty:

I'm planning on another trip to BC next month, and I'll probably top 12,000 km by the end of the season. That's like 20 years worth of riding!! :lol:

Maybe I'm just some weird physical specimen who actually finds this bike comfortable for long periods, and everyone else can only stand half an hour in the saddle, who knows.

Someone out there tell me I'm not the only one who rides his sportbike this much! :)

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#2 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Hi Kaiser

No you are not the only one. There are a load of us. But I also know plenty of riders who wouldn't dream of taking their bike out for more than the occasional sunday blast - and never in the wet! A sportsbike engine is good for 100,000 miles if properly used and looked after. I'm sure your engine would have loved a long trip.

I've put just under 40,000 miles on my SV1000 in three years and I'm told I'm crazy. I also have a Daytona. I haven't ridden that as much as I would have liked so far because of injuries. I think the SV is bloody comfortable for up to 200 miles though the Triumph is a bit of a muscle cruncher at that distance. (I did 750 miles on the SV in one day, once and have to admit I was a bit stiff that evening :? ) I'm looking for some good bar risers for the Daytona. It's a beauty to ride and I want to be able to get the best out of it on some long rides. It loves to stretch its legs.

If you don't ride it you won't enjoy it - unless you are the polishing and gazing type (mind you, you can ride it and be that too) - so I'll add my voice to yours. Sod them. Just get out there as often as you can and get on it!

Cheers
Last edited by sv-wolf on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: A freak for riding my sportbike more than 100km a month?

#3 Unread post by jonnythan »

Kaiser Soze wrote:I see bikes advertised with 300-600 km, a bunch around 1000-1200 km, and a *very* small number at around 3000.
Who sells a bike after 300-3000 km... except for people who really aren't interested in owning a bike (and are thus selling them)?

The people putting more than 100km a month are the ones riding their bikes and not selling them after 2000km.

I've put over 400 miles on my bike so far this month and about 900 miles last month.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

DieMonkeys
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2015/Kawasaki/Versys 650 LT

#4 Unread post by DieMonkeys »

The Nighthawk I'm getting has under 15,000 miles on it. I'm already trying to plan out some long distance trips, I don't even have the bike yet.
[img]http://content.ytmnd.com/content/8/c/f/8cfad8ebc281805945b49541a1f00d48.gif[/img]
1980 Suzuki GS550E "Miranda" (Retired)
1986 Honda Nighthawk CB700SC "Valarie"

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: A freak for riding my sportbike more than 100km a month?

#5 Unread post by Gummiente »

Kaiser Soze wrote:Maybe I'm just some weird physical specimen who actually finds this bike comfortable for long periods
Uhhh...no, not yet you aren't. But you've got a good start at becoming a hard*ss rider, just keep piling on the miles and ignore what the amateurs try to tell you.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

ericeverson
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by ericeverson »

What good is a bike if it’s sitting in the garage? I’m not a salty year-round rider yet, but I’m working on it. :D

telefunkin
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by telefunkin »

lol, I put 1000+ kms on mine this year and the season really is just starting.

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#8 Unread post by Gadjet »

Heh. That's really low mileage compared to what I routinely do.

I've been riding for three years now, and so far I've wracked up ~61000km between my two bikes - 28000 on my Suzuki GS before I traded it in after only a year of riding for my KLR.

So far this year I've got ~4500km on the mighty K, and that's without any serious long haul trips.

Of course, I am a certified IBA member, so what do you expect.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#9 Unread post by Gummiente »

Gadjet wrote:Of course, I am a certified IBA member, so what do you expect.
Hmmm... maybe I should look into that. Since 1 Jan I've put 5,120km on the Ural and since 9 Mar the Harley has rolled 12,120km. So my total so far for the year is 17,240km... and I'm just getting warmed up. :wink:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#10 Unread post by High_Side »

The 11 season-old VFR I picked up last fall had only 20000km on it when I got it. It will gain another 5000km this week! H-el-l-o- Southwestern Oregon (and many things inbetween)!