Had a scary moment today

Ian522
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

Had a scary moment today

#1 Unread post by Ian522 »

Ive been having a problem recently with my bike cutting out for some reason...I think it has something to do with a fuel/petcock issue. But anyway it was running good for the past week without any issues so I decided to go for a nice long ride today.

I left my house and hopped on the highway on-ramp a few miles away. I got up to speed and moved over to the left lane to pass some cars. When all of a sudden the bike totally lost power. Its a scary feeling to twist the throttle and feel nothing happen when you are in the fast lane at 70mph with cars behind you! :shock: Luckily there werent any cars next to me so I coasted across all three lanes and was able to pull over to the shoulder without incident.

After some messing around with the petcock I was able to get it started again. But I was too afraid to get back on the highway, thinking it might cut out again. So what did I do? Luckily I pulled over right next to a big huge open field, part of a series of fields owned by the utility company. I knew the fields eventually led back into town, so I pulled a Steve McQueen and went offroading to get back home!

That part was actually pretty fun! I may want a dual sport for my next bike just so I could do stuff like that.

nate1714
Veteran
Veteran

#2 Unread post by nate1714 »

i love off roading with my bike...i think i need to get a dirt bike before i break something...lol....and when my bike is running squirmy i dont go too far from home...

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Shorts »

psshh...offroading with a streetbike - that's stupid...

:laughing: refere to ride 242

BMK
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by BMK »

That was pretty risky. Knowing that there was even a possibility the engine would suddenly cut out, I would not have taken it out in 70mph highway traffic before having it looked at or fixed.

You were lucky you didn't become a hood ornament.

Just my .02
I'm not young enough to know everything.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#5 Unread post by JC Viper »

Time for you to get a Triumph Scrambler for the next time you want to get your Steve McQueen fix.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

Ian522
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by Ian522 »

BMK wrote:That was pretty risky. Knowing that there was even a possibility the engine would suddenly cut out, I would not have taken it out in 70mph highway traffic before having it looked at or fixed.

You were lucky you didn't become a hood ornament.

Just my .02
True, but I had no way of knowing really. It had only happened once before about a week earlier, so I thought it was just some fluke thing. Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess. Ive drained the carbs and fuel tank, tonight I am taking off the tank and petcock to try and see whats up. I dont really feel safe riding the thing now until its fixed.

That Scrambler is one cool bike!

And Shorts I watched your 242 ride, ouch! That was some pretty gnarly terrain. At least you came out ok.

RandalSeeler
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by RandalSeeler »

That does sound bad. It could possibly be a pinched or collapsed fuel or vacuum hose, or an obstructed vent in gas cap or carburetor float bowl vent circuit. Also, sediment in float bowls may cause similar problems. Is it possible to get motorcycle insurance that covers the cost of minor repairs?

Rand

RandalSeeler
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by RandalSeeler »

btw, viper, that's a kick "O Ring" signature pic :wink:

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Re: Had a scary moment today

#9 Unread post by paul246 »

Ian522 wrote: That part was actually pretty fun! I may want a dual sport for my next bike just so I could do stuff like that.
There ya go. I do that all the time, anytime I see fit, and love it. That is why I went over to a dual sport...it just opens up so many new opportunities.

Forget the Triumph Scrambler, it is really about "the look" and doesn't work worth a darn off-road. Its heavy and the suspension is easily overwhelmed. My old Honda CL350 Scrambler would be a better bet but is still no match for a good dual sport.

There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by Shorts »

I wish dual sports were more "short person" friendly, Sometimes I look at the dual sport 250s around here. But I guess if they were shorter, they wouldn't be so good at their dual sport purpose.