Med Kit

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

Med Kit

#1 Unread post by Apollofrost »

Hey everybody in general and Geoff in particular.

I wanted to know what types of things I should have in a motorcycle first aid kit. I figured since I'm finally getting a tank bag I should get a kit to keep inside of it just in case. I was hoping to be able to fit all of the stuff into a handgun case (a rigid plastic case sounded like a good idea and Big 5 is running a special) but a pre-packaged kit would be fine as well.

So... any suggestions?
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#2 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#3 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

http://cheaperthandirt.com/MHR315-46722-1394.html :peep:

leeetle bit over kill that one. Though even that I'd be changing stuff. I mean, only two different airways? Come on!

I've honestly yet to find a pre-made kit I'd want to get and leave as is. Just make sure you learn how to use the stuff in what ever you get. And CPR. Never a bad thing to know CPR. Your friendly local community college most likely has a good CPR course.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

Veda
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by Veda »

Re: packing it in a handgun case

I have a little pre-made first aid kit and the thing I like about it is that it is bright yellow and is very clearly a first aid kit. I would like to think that if something happened to me and a stranger stopped to help they would recognize the first aid kit and use it. I wouldn't think someone is going to open a gun case looking for something to help.

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by roscowgo »

Ninja Geoff wrote:http://cheaperthandirt.com/MHR315-46722-1394.html :peep:

leeetle bit over kill that one. Though even that I'd be changing stuff. I mean, only two different airways? Come on!

I've honestly yet to find a pre-made kit I'd want to get and leave as is. Just make sure you learn how to use the stuff in what ever you get. And CPR. Never a bad thing to know CPR. Your friendly local community college most likely has a good CPR course.
/me looks wideyed at Geoff, searches self frantically for other undiscovered breathing regions.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#6 Unread post by slimcolo »

Just checked my kit, and need to eliminate some stuff.

I found:
2 small battle dressings
1 large battle dressing
1 package of civilian band aids
1 package GI issue band aids (dried up)
3 Elastic bandages
Liquid Benzodine (exp 2008)
Iodine tabs (h2o pureifer)
Snake bite kit (unopened new in 2005)
1 Thigh injector to counter nerve agent (dated 1978)
1 Tube oral gel (exp 1991)
1 Small bottle clove oil
1 Bottle Chig-guard (exp 1997)
1 Can flea and lice powder (60s GI issue, label says can also be used as foot powder for Athlete's foot)
Bayer (undated 12 in metal box)
4 pairs latex gloves and 4 pair nitrile (dry rotted)
2 Bic lighters
Also in sealed package unopened until today
1 USMC field first aide guide
Surgical needles and thread
Liquid Iodine for wounds (dried up)
2 Ampules morphine (dated 1965)
1 pack cartierizing powder
1 pack waterproof matches
Some of this has been in first aide kit since my Uncle sent it back from Nam in 69. I just quit using this kit last year, but was thinking of using belt pack (about 9x9x2 GI issue pouch) to carry my new kit in.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#7 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

roscowgo wrote:
Ninja Geoff wrote:http://cheaperthandirt.com/MHR315-46722-1394.html :peep:

/me looks wideyed at Geoff, searches self frantically for other undiscovered breathing regions.
lololol i mean these:
oral pharyngeal airway:
They're used to keep the tounge of an unresponsive patient from falling back and blocking off the airway. I'd imagine that kit threw in the most common size for male and female. Though the fact of the matter is, two people, same height, size, and weight can have different sized airways. It's measured from the corner of the mouth to the lobe of the ear, laying the OPA from end to end between those two points. You insert it hook end first and up (so it doesnt catch the tounge) and twist it 180 degrees as you push it in. Unless they gag, then you go for an NPA (Nasal to the oral). Unless there's head trauma, then you're holding the jaw thrust for a while :laughing:
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

Texfire
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by Texfire »

Ninja Geoff wrote:Unless there's head trauma, then you're holding the jaw thrust for a while :laughing:
Because it's right embarrassing to ventilate the cranial cavity. Not to mention the conversation with the Medical Director that will follow.

But I agree. Only slightly less important than having a first aid kit is knowing how to use it. You don't have to go to an EMT course, Red Cross first aid and CPR wouldn't be a huge time commitment and could be very useful.

The mininum I would consider adequate for a first aid kit is stuff to stabilize unstable trauma patients. Airway adjuncts, like the OPAs Geoff was talking about for patients with trauma to the airway. Trauma dressings for applying pressure to bleeding. An occlusive dressing for a sucking chest wound, a glad bag or saran wrap can be an improvised one. Cloth tape for securing all of the above. Cravats are good for securing broken limbs with improvised splinting. A SAM splint isn't too large and could be used for splinting joints. Isotonic water for irrigating glass out of eyes and wounds, cooling burns, flushing fluids off the skin.

There are plenty of other things that would be nice to have, I'd consider these the minimum.

Kibagari
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by Kibagari »

If you take the first responder class and keep a med kit with you (just basics like bandages, airways if you REALLY think you need them and the like), you'll have more than enough to keep the victim stable and alive until EMS arrives.
"Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot."
D. H. Lawrence (1885 - 1930)
-------------------------------
1976 Honda CB360T