$275 for my 400 mile checkup - Did I get ripped off?

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#1 Unread post by Brackstone »

This is for my Ninja 250

According to the check list.

Checked Tire Pressure, Nuts, and Bolts
Checked Brakes and Coolant
Checked Filter, Steering, and Clutch
And they adjusted my Brake Light Switch
They charged me $25 for oil+disposal?

Cost $275 all together.

Is this the usual price people pay or did I just get gouged? :|
Last edited by Brackstone on Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#2 Unread post by ofblong »

I pay about $20 for all that stuff. Basically I pay for the oil and oil filter and do it myself. I cant imagine what they charge for chain and sprockets to be replaced. I mean for me the parts themselves were $140 plus I paid $75 for the tool to break and reinstal new chain. so I would say total for first chain job it cost me $270 and thats with my labor cost. (3hours at $20/hr which is on the low side).
Last edited by ofblong on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#3 Unread post by NorthernPete »

all that for an inspection basically?

seems a little steep.....but for a new bike, youve got to make sure nothing wiggled loose....and from what I hear that oil would be an interesting shade....alot of crap gets into it from the breaking in.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#4 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

that over twice what I paid for the same thing.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#5 Unread post by flw »

Since you did not mention a valve inspection or adjustment, I'd say it sounds high if your list is comlete.

You also didn't mention what type of bike was serviced. A Harely, Gold Wing etc.. will cost you more for anything you have done or checked.

Next time let your fingers do the walking and call around with what you want done and get estimates first. Just don't delay oil changes due to cost if you can't get it on your own.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Dragon on Wheels
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by Dragon on Wheels »

I think it's high, but apparently some dealers are charging that for an inspection(which may or may not be complete). I guess it could be the usual price because I was charged a similar price for probably a similar inspection, though mine didn't list everything they did. (I should have asked for a list).

If you are able to, you might want to check each of those items to make sure they did inspect all of them. I'm taking a maintenance course so I will be able to do some things myself in the future and/or at least check to make sure the dealer did everything they said they would because I think I got gouged for my first 500 mile 'service' too.

The dealer I took it to didn't even find a problem I asked them specifically to check. I was able to find it and fix it during the maintenance course I am taking now with the help of the instructor. It was such a simple fix too that it makes me believe that the dealer didn't do diddly squat. They also told me they would do things before I took it in, but afterwards, they said that they don't do those things(check valves mainly) during the first service. I won't be taking my bike back to them for 'service'.
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Meanie
Legendary
Legendary

#7 Unread post by Meanie »

Considering you could have done it all yourself for $20 or under, you were screwed.

That price is not uncommon for the first service. I have no idea what dealers are thinking to charge that much for basic visual inspections. When I purchased my bike years ago, I called the dealers in my area and asked what they did for the first service. When they told me compared to their $175 cost, there was no way I was having them do it when I could do it myself.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Shorts »

Yes. Less than $20 (or $30) for oil and filter, the rest you just "look at". Unless removing fairings these days costs an arm and a leg. (Reminds me of the Duc needing random fairings removed to get to reservoirs/filters/plugs...)

But for that, do it at home and check the fluids for yourself.

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#9 Unread post by scan »

I had the same service for around $100 when I had a new bike in for its first check up and oil change. Dealers vary greatly though on what the charge. Getting work done by someone else is costly though. If you have more dealers around get some estimates before you bring it in, if you don't want to do the work yourself. I know some places seem to insist that you bring the bike to them if you want them to back the warrenty, but any authorized service department should be able to sign off on that stuff.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

xsyamahadg
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 55
My Motorcycle: 2007 1100 V-Star Silverado

#10 Unread post by xsyamahadg »

I paid $76.00 for my 600 mile check up on the 07 V-Star 1100 Silverado, and back in 03 I paid the same dealer $85.00 for the 600 mile check up on the 03 V-star.

Just saying....
1981 Yamaha XS650H
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado
1979 Honda PA 50
1970 Rupp mini
Stop in and visit my web site sometime:
http://rideohiomc1.proboards.com