Anyone ride with a dust mask

brian12
Regular
Regular

Anyone ride with a dust mask

#1 Unread post by brian12 »

Ive been having massive sinus problems lately and its kept me from riding. Its gotten so bad that I cant sleep at night from post nasal drip and I decided to go to the doctor and was given a shot of steriods/antihistimine. The shot made me feel well enough that I went out and rode my bike even though I knew it would aggravate my problem. Only riding once in over two weeks just wasnt enough. I meant to ask the doctor while I was there if I could ride my bike if I wore a dust mask. A good portion of the locals around here wear them while mowing there lawn and Im wondering if it works. The only other alternative I think I have is to wait until they stop harvesting the peanuts/peanut mold before I start riding again which really isnt an option for me.
Thanks

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Shorts »

Hey man, start trying nasal irrigation...you know, where you rinse out your sinuses with warm mild saltwater solution. Clears out junk and suppose to help alleviate allergy flare ups.

I do this when I get congested or feeling the twinge of allergies in the spring time here in JPN. Previous to this place, I've never gad allergies to anything.

storysunfolding
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#3 Unread post by storysunfolding »

You can ride with a mask sure. It might feel weird but some helmets even come with the option to add a mask like device for winter riding. Not sure if that would help. My main question is are you allergic to peanuts?

Steroids aren't commonly given for sinus inflamations. If it's a peanut allergy and it's harvest time, it may just be safer to cage it for awhile.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#4 Unread post by Brackstone »

http://www.sinucleanse.com/

I use a Neti-Pot, I also do this because I have sleep Apnea and it helps me breathe though my nose.

I know it may seem weird, but it works good.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

qwerty
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#5 Unread post by qwerty »

Back in the olden days I always wore a paper dust mask when riding offroad in dusty conditions.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

Bobsaschmuck
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by Bobsaschmuck »

A little while back i read a post about anti-fog face masks by Respro, they also make antipolution masks that claim to filter out pollen. I dont have any personal experience with the company but i heard good things about them in the other post. They look like they'd stay on better and let you breath easier than a carpenter's/gardener's dust mask.

Bob

SHADOW1100T
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by SHADOW1100T »

Skip the Neti and go with the second part,,,it will make you PND a lot easier to put up with :P
Ted

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#8 Unread post by ofblong »

Shorts wrote:Hey man, start trying nasal irrigation...you know, where you rinse out your sinuses with warm mild saltwater solution. Clears out junk and suppose to help alleviate allergy flare ups.

I do this when I get congested or feeling the twinge of allergies in the spring time here in JPN. Previous to this place, I've never gad allergies to anything.
be careful. Too much of that stuff WILL cause you to become dependant. We sell nasal spray max of 3oz bottles and we are constantly getting mail asking us to make a 32 oz bottle because people are basically using 1oz/day of that stuff. Very addicting and not good for you to use it that much. Course I get the stuff for free and max 10 cents.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Shorts »

ofblong wrote:
Shorts wrote:Hey man, start trying nasal irrigation...you know, where you rinse out your sinuses with warm mild saltwater solution. Clears out junk and suppose to help alleviate allergy flare ups.

be careful. Too much of that stuff WILL cause you to become dependant. We sell nasal spray max of 3oz bottles and we are constantly getting mail asking us to make a 32 oz bottle because people are basically using 1oz/day of that stuff. Very addicting and not good for you to use it that much. Course I get the stuff for free and max 10 cents.

Oh, I wasn't meaning the OTC stuff sold at drug stores but rather just a simple glass of warm water and some kosher salt :wink: You make the mixture similar to the strength of tear drops. Use one of those bulb syringes to squirt the stream up your nose. (there is actually a technique, I'm just speaking in generalities here).

I use this method often, pretty much when I feel my head/sinuses congested from allergies, cold, whatever it is I try this first before going to OTC meds or finally getting sick enough to warrant a Drs call (which at that, is only once a year for annual checkups).

tjrace
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#10 Unread post by tjrace »

I just got a wolfsnout-I like it. its lighter then those other ones.
you cant get them in stores only there site , i think.
any way- it keeps the dust out of your mouth and nose. i like it too cause it doesnt cover your nose it only cover your nostrils-
it goes under your nose to keep the dirt out of your nose
so ya dont have to mess with it under your goggles.
its www.wolfsnout.com