Dealing with impatient drivers

Aragorn
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Dealing with impatient drivers

#1 Unread post by Aragorn »

So, here is a typical scenario. Actually happened to me yesterday (a Sunday, if it makes any difference).
There were 5 red traffic lights in the row, really close to each other, so I didn't get to go over 15 mph between each one. There were 3 teenagers in a car behind me, very impatient, tailgating me all the way. At the last stop, which had a one-way stop sign before entering a major road, I stopped and waited for a nice large gap. Apparently, this was too long for those kids to wait and they honked. I continued waiting for another 5 seconds and then proceeded. They barely stopped and continued following me. At this point, the road turned into a 20-30* hill and I was on top of it in a much shorter period of time then they were (went to about 45mph in a 2 seconds) leaving them behind.
What do you do in a situation like that? I'm sure I did the right thing by waiting for a safe time to proceed but what about afterwards? Should I have continued riding normally or speeding up fast to "pee" of those idiots was a right thing to do? I wasn't looking for a race, just wanted to leave them behind.
[b]2005 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C[/b]

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: Dealing with impatient drivers

#2 Unread post by jonnythan »

Aragorn wrote:So, here is a typical scenario. Actually happened to me yesterday (a Sunday, if it makes any difference).
There were 5 red traffic lights in the row, really close to each other, so I didn't get to go over 15 mph between each one. There were 3 teenagers in a car behind me, very impatient, tailgating me all the way. At the last stop, which had a one-way stop sign before entering a major road, I stopped and waited for a nice large gap. Apparently, this was too long for those kids to wait and they honked. I continued waiting for another 5 seconds and then proceeded. They barely stopped and continued following me. At this point, the road turned into a 20-30* hill and I was on top of it in a much shorter period of time then they were (went to about 45mph in a 2 seconds) leaving them behind.
What do you do in a situation like that? I'm sure I did the right thing by waiting for a safe time to proceed but what about afterwards? Should I have continued riding normally or speeding up fast to "pee" of those idiots was a right thing to do? I wasn't looking for a race, just wanted to leave them behind.
Pull over and let them by.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

Re: Dealing with impatient drivers

#3 Unread post by Brackstone »

jonnythan wrote: Pull over and let them by.
+1

If there is someone that is tailgating me and I come up to an intersection with a red light I wave them by. Even if it means I have to let a lot of other cars go by I do it.

It's just not worth fighting with them.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

Aragorn
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by Aragorn »

Pull over and let them by.
Hmm, I see. I guess I'm still thinking like a driver and not like a rider...

nate1714
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by nate1714 »

i let them by....but im also a dick and would wait a little bit longer at that stop light just to be a dick...lol yea i know...but then i go slow and they pass...

Aragorn
Regular
Regular

#6 Unread post by Aragorn »

I guess it depends on the road and situation. In this case, I just felt that it made no sense for me to pull over if in the next 30 seconds I can easily leave them behind w/o much effort. :twisted:

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Shorts »

Aragorn wrote:I guess it depends on the road and situation. In this case, I just felt that it made no sense for me to pull over if in the next 30 seconds I can easily leave them behind w/o much effort. :twisted:
I'm in the same thought as you on this. If its a road that someone can pass, I pull over a bit and let them pass. If its a road that 'must be taken' as in in there's no choice for stoplights and junk like that, one lane road, I don't pull over. Granted, I try to keep up the pace on the road so it isn't slower than posted.

I think the reason for riding slow between lights is to be able to catch greens so you don't have to stop, and I do that as well. But if there's a considerable amount of traffic or I know the lights will not change quickly, I just ride to each. A lot depends on the driver who's behind me and the road I'm on.

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

Honking doesn't bother me, but once they invade my personal space and start tailgaiting, then it's a problem. Remember the one with the most lug nuts wins.

A couple of options:

a. Change lanes and let them pass if they are to dumb to figure it out for themselves.

b. If you can't change lanes turn off at the next intersection, parking lot, whatever and get away from them.

c. If it's a two lane road and there is no way to switch lanes or turn off then, wait for the oncoming traffic to clear, get on the right side of the lane and signal them to pass you. This happens quite often around here when traveling on some of the outer rual roads.

d. Gun it and get the hell out of the way, but this only works with older drivers. Younger drivers are just gonna gun it right behind you.
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!

Aragorn
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by Aragorn »

All great point, Shorts and Sweet Tooth!
I wonder if there are drivers who tailgate and honk at mean looking Angles?

:shooting2:

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#10 Unread post by ceemes »

The evil side of me says to put down the kick stand, dismount, walk up to the driver and beitch slap him silly..

The practical side of me i.e. the rational side of me says to pull over, let them pass and make a wish for traffic cop to be sitting up just a head waiting for them.
Always ask why.