flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

What do you do to stay warm?

#1 Unread post by flw »

I'm at 3 layers top/bottom with a head/neck pull over (thin but warm) and its only in the mid-40's. I almost feel like and look the michelin man. 8) I'd like to ride down to the upper 30's but since all the roads are at least 55 mph, it gets cold quick.

What do you do at these temps? Pack it away or pack more on?

I'm at long johns/sweats/jeans, I think I need a barrier type on the outside like rain pants maybe? On top I have t-shirt. sweat shirt, hooded sweat shirt, leather coat, and winter coat with winter gloves. On my noogin I have a head/neck thin pull over and helment which is fine. Its my legs that feel most of the cold at this time.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by slimcolo »

At 40 degrees I wear leather coat gloves and jeans. Not cold enough for leather pants.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#3 Unread post by dr_bar »

When it gets cold out I wear a pair of long johns instead of my shorts, (athletic shorts :| ) under my riding pants.

Long sleeved t-shirt and a heated vest show up under the jacket. If it's a long ride, I'll zip in the rain liner for a barrier to keep the heat in as much as to keep the cold out.

I have a couple of different pairs of winter gloves. I can't wear the warmest for long as they cause pain from too much fabric between the fingers, so when I start to feel too much pain I swap them with my not so warm gloves.

I think I'm going to look for a heated mitten (3 finger style glove) so I don't have that "fabric" problem...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by mgdavis »

Shiver. :lol:

Seriously though, layers are the way to go. When it's cold I'll wear jeans and a t-shirt, then a sweatshirt, with overpants and my Kilimanjaro jacket over the top. I've got big puffy winter riding gloves to keep my hands warmish. If it's real cold I have a face/chin mask that goes on under my helmet.
Of all the things I've tried, I think overpants made the biggest difference by themselves, they go a long ways toward keeping you warm.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

Flting Duck
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by Flting Duck »

Buy an electric heated vest if you're riding in the 30s. It keeps your body core warm. Aside form that, it keeps you pumping warm blood to your extremities so it keeps you generally warmer overall. You will also fatique less as your body won't be using as much energy to keep you warm.

I also layer up with a North Face base layer with fleece over that. Great stuff - if you seal up, it keeps you nice and toasty, if you open up some venting you can cool odwn quickly so it works for a wise variety of temps.
93 BMW K1100LT "The Green Hornet"
91 BMW K100RS 4V "Kato"
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)

Veda
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by Veda »

For me it's all about the windproof outer layer. I was up to 4 layers on top and freezing on my commute earlier in the month when it was still in the 40s. Friday I switched out the top two layers for my fancy ski jacket and I was fine riding in to work at 31 degrees.

I do also wear the electric gloves when it's below 50, and they make a world of difference.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#7 Unread post by Wrider »

Snowmobiling gloves, thermal underwear, full face helmet, and a not-so-vented jacket, works great!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#8 Unread post by Gadjet »

For me:

Wool socks - Riding boots
Jeans - Waterproof/windproof overpants
t-shirt, turtleneck,electric vest - riding jacket with liner
Insulated waterproof/windproof gloves
skullcap - full face helmet

If it's really cold (below freezing), I'll wear a polypro balaclava under my helmet.

I've ridden comfortably in -5C in this gear.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

niterider
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Re: What do you do to stay warm?

#9 Unread post by niterider »

flw wrote:I'm at 3 layers top/bottom with a head/neck pull over (thin but warm) and its only in the mid-40's. I almost feel like and look the michelin man. 8) I'd like to ride down to the upper 30's but since all the roads are at least 55 mph, it gets cold quick.

What do you do at these temps? Pack it away or pack more on?

I'm at long johns/sweats/jeans, I think I need a barrier type on the outside like rain pants maybe? On top I have t-shirt. sweat shirt, hooded sweat shirt, leather coat, and winter coat with winter gloves. On my noogin I have a head/neck thin pull over and helment which is fine. Its my legs that feel most of the cold at this time.
I wear much of what you describe but I also wear a thick cover alls over every thing else. I commute 25 mles to work it gets cold if not covered up well.
1993 750 Vulcan
one seater
ear shave, pod filters
rear turn signal relocation
lowered rear 2" soft tail
converted to manuel cam chain tensioner
horn relocation

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#10 Unread post by flw »

Today I tried the usual but with a cheap plastic rain pants under my jeans but on top of the other layers. It worked very well.

The thin head/neck pull over I have is nice because I don't feel like my head is being crushed by my helment.

With my winter gloves they do keep the hand warm but I do get that irration from the material between my fingers. If it becomes a real problem I can always switch to mitten syle.

My regular Army boots wth a extra pair of thick white socks do just fine for my feet and ankles.

With all the layers its always a challenge to be sure that all overlap each other.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold