Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

Questions for people who upgraded from their 250 sport

#1 Unread post by Brackstone »

Hi Guys,

Well I just recently clocked over 1,000 miles on my bike! (Yay Me!) I've been thinking about upgrading more and more. I love my ninja and it's going to be hard for me to sell it because I'm pretty attached to it. But I want to get on something bigger.

I was thinking about getting an Honda F4i for my next bike.

What about everyone else. Successful upgrading stories? Thoughts? Concerns? WTB my old ninja? ;)
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: FZ6

#2 Unread post by intotherain »

I upgraded from my little 200 to my FZ6. No problems whatsoever; nothing related to too much horsepower. It's awkward at first because the bike seems so big but now it's all second nature and anything under 600 looks tiny.

I put 3,800 miles on the 200 and have put 4,000 on my FZ6 so far.

Fast Eddy B
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 02 Fazer FZS600

#3 Unread post by Fast Eddy B »

I jumped from at 50hp bike to a 108hp bike (F4i). No problem to speak of. You can get yourself in a mess if you get too eager though.

Might also be time to take an advanced class?

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#4 Unread post by Brackstone »

Fast Eddy B wrote:I jumped from at 50hp bike to a 108hp bike (F4i). No problem to speak of. You can get yourself in a mess if you get too eager though.

Might also be time to take an advanced class?
Hmm yeah I'll have to check out the advanced class. I just don't want them to put me back in the box.

Not The Box!!!

Zohw
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by Zohw »

I think weight is going to be the most evident issue at first. I went from a 650 to a 750, but it was also a light weight cruiser to a standard that's 150+ pounds heavier.

The new position was something I had to get used to over the rest, but from a sport to a sport I think you'll only have to get used to the new weight. The bike will have a bigger performance gap, but if you take it easy for the first bit, it's a more gradual change.

Position was my biggest issue, but I think yours will only be weight at first. Make sure to sit on the bike and push it around first.
Current Ride: '99 ZRX 1100
'91 Zephyr 750
'96 Suzuki LS650

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#6 Unread post by Brackstone »

Zohw wrote:I think weight is going to be the most evident issue at first. I went from a 650 to a 750, but it was also a light weight cruiser to a standard that's 150+ pounds heavier.

The new position was something I had to get used to over the rest, but from a sport to a sport I think you'll only have to get used to the new weight. The bike will have a bigger performance gap, but if you take it easy for the first bit, it's a more gradual change.

Position was my biggest issue, but I think yours will only be weight at first. Make sure to sit on the bike and push it around first.
Those are very valid points. I heard several people say that the Ninja 250 rides "Like a Standard" but the other sport bikes are more forward leaning. I guess the difference isn't that much since the 250 is "Like a Standard".

Also yes the weight is a concern. People tell me lighter bikes are more nimble cause you can push them around a bit more. I wasn't sure what, if any, movement I was compromising by upgrading to a larger bike.

Veda
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by Veda »

Brackstone wrote: Hmm yeah I'll have to check out the advanced class. I just don't want them to put me back in the box.

Not The Box!!!
If you can't do the box on a 250, maybe you need some more experience before upgrading.

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#8 Unread post by scan »

Veda wrote:
Brackstone wrote: Hmm yeah I'll have to check out the advanced class. I just don't want them to put me back in the box.

Not The Box!!!
If you can't do the box on a 250, maybe you need some more experience before upgrading.
Good point. I'm within riding distance of where I took my MSF course, and I go there and ride the parts of the course for practice as often as I can. Keeps me from getting rusty on the slow moving skills. Also I practice hard stopping on almost every ride. You can always use stopping practice.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#9 Unread post by scan »

intotherain wrote:I upgraded from my little 200 to my FZ6. No problems whatsoever; nothing related to too much horsepower. It's awkward at first because the bike seems so big but now it's all second nature and anything under 600 looks tiny.

I put 3,800 miles on the 200 and have put 4,000 on my FZ6 so far.
Loonette and I did the same. Actually we had a Rebel and got an FZ6. It was a good bike. A bit tall for her. It also has that surprise of power about the 7 or 8000 RPR range. Below that it seems docile. You don't want to forget that when you are gunning it out of a driveway or something. It can be a lot of bike rather quickly.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#10 Unread post by Brackstone »

Veda wrote:

Not The Box!!!
Hah I was just playin around :)

I can do the box now no problem, I was just remembering how much it scared me :)