Is it Too big??

Bratcat
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Is it Too big??

#1 Unread post by Bratcat »

I have been riding for about 8 months, the bike I had started on was a honda shadow ace 750. Recentley my husband bought a honda VTX 1300 and after takin it out I decided that I was ready to upgrade. Well my new bike is also a VTX 1300 R with all the trimmings I feel very comfortable on it except for one incident everythings been great.
Last weekend I rode out to a local bike shop and when I was backing into a parking spot I came VERY close to dropping it, my guess is that I had the wheel cut too much, well pulling that bad boy up almost was too much for me (its a bit heavier than the 750) four days later and I can still feel it, I am about 160 lbs and 5'6 tall I work at keeeping my strength up but I'm now second guessing myself, did I make a mistake in getting a bigger bike so soon ? or is it just a little embarrassment coupled with a large dose of uncertainty? maybe I'm making more of it than I need to, But you guys have alot of experience and I value your opinions.

Would appreciate your input

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#2 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

I love the Honda VTX's. If I were just getting into the sport and ready for my fist expensive machine that would be my choice. More bang for your buck,eh.

What you've experienced we've all experienced from time to time. Even the most experienced rider will still get "caught" every now and again. Have a laugh about it, shake it off and full speed ahead. When a bike is going with regards to falling after it reaches a certain point alls you can do is slow the fall down. The fact you were able to prevent it at all was excellent.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#3 Unread post by dr_bar »

That bike is a bit heavy, but like the bad boy said, just about everyone has their moment like you've described, and probably more than once. Just use it as a learning point and go on from there. Be careful backing that puppy up next time... 8)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

dr_bar wrote:That bike is a bit heavy, but like the bad boy said, just about everyone has their moment like you've described, and probably more than once. Just use it as a learning point and go on from there. Be careful backing that puppy up next time... 8)
Yup. My wife rides a Triumph Trophy, it's only about 530 lbs dry, but the weight's all up high. She's had it for 2 1/2 years, has taken an ERC on it and flung it around pylons at low speed, and is very good at it. Nonetheless, she had a "stop and drop" incident last month. It happens even to experienced riders - once that bike tilts over a certain amount, it's just not coming back up unless you're extremely strong.

So, you learn to do whatever is necessary to avoid situations like that and hope you never get caught.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#5 Unread post by Loonette »

Just don't drop your bike! :wink:

Seriously though - my bike weighs nearly 700 pounds. I came close to dropping it once, and am amazed that I was able to keep it from crossing that point of no return. In the moment, I was aided by good 'ole adrenaline most probably accompanied by endorphins. I didn't notice the muscle pain until the next day. That's just how it goes.

If by chance you do drop it, you'll find someone to help you lift it. If not, practice this little skill (on a good day) - it does work. http://ibmwr.org/otech/pickup.html

Whatever you do, don't panic and attempt to pick up the bike in poor form - you could really mess up your back (or the bike) by doing so. Stay calm, and do a proper lift.

Enjoy your bike!

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

jrdudas
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by jrdudas »

I had a Honda CX 500 that I never dropped, and I just acquired an old Suzuki GS 850. The 850 is by far the heaviest bike I have owned and I am aware of the fact that it will be difficult to pick up if it goes down, so I intend to be really careful. Ironically, the only bike I dropped recently was a Ninja 250. I put the side stand down before I got off and the bike must have moved forward a bit as I got off causing the side stand to go back up. I didn't notice that and in a flash I was standing there with the bike at my feet. Luckily the Ninja 250 is light and I had no trouble lifting it.

I have not tried the technique shown in the link one of the responders listed, but it looks like it should work well. Might be a good idea to try it when you have some help handy.

JR

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

Congrats on the bike, I also have a VTX1300R and love it.

Sometimes backing it up into a space is a bit of a task, especially towards the end of the day. Never cut your bars too much, regardless of the size of the bike, it will end up on the floor. Make sure that you are wearing oil resistant boots, it helps to be able to have some good traction when pushing the bike back. The boots will also give you some additional height so you can flat foot the bike better. You'll get used to it....enjoy the bike!!
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!

Bubba
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Re: Is it Too big??

#8 Unread post by Bubba »

Bratcat wrote:I have been riding for about 8 months, the bike I had started on was a honda shadow ace 750. Recentley my husband bought a honda VTX 1300 and after takin it out I decided that I was ready to upgrade. Well my new bike is also a VTX 1300 R with all the trimmings I feel very comfortable on it except for one incident everythings been great.
Last weekend I rode out to a local bike shop and when I was backing into a parking spot I came VERY close to dropping it, my guess is that I had the wheel cut too much, well pulling that bad boy up almost was too much for me (its a bit heavier than the 750) four days later and I can still feel it, I am about 160 lbs and 5'6 tall I work at keeeping my strength up but I'm now second guessing myself, did I make a mistake in getting a bigger bike so soon ? or is it just a little embarrassment coupled with a large dose of uncertainty? maybe I'm making more of it than I need to, But you guys have alot of experience and I value your opinions.
Would appreciate your input
I laid mine over once. Bike weighs 750 lbs. Because it is so well balanced, there was no problem if setting it back on two wheels.
If you should lay it down, I'm sure there are some big Bubba's out there that would give you a hand. :)
All kidding asside, if you can't handle the weight when out of balance, maybe the bike is a bit too heavy for you or the weight distribution is too high for you.
2004 Yamaha Midnight Silverado
<-------------------------------------

blackmouth
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by blackmouth »

Great replies here.

I agree...don't worry so much about this one incident. It was an accident that furtunately didn't result in anything worse happening to you or the bike.

Even a 250cc bike can strain a few muscles if you try to keep it up and just catch that weight at a bad angle so don't think your aching muscles is a sign of your not being able to handle the larger bike. If the near-drop is your only reason for thinking this new Honda is a bit too much for you...relax. Let the recent near-drop go...it happens to all of us.

As a side-note, I wondered if you have crash/engine guards on your bike. Getting some engine guards may be a good idea. This may keep the bike off of your leg if/when it were to ever tip over. It would also make it easire to get the bike back up if you ever dropped it. Just a suggestion because I happen to LOVE engine guards. They have been MY friend in the past. It's a nice looking accessory for less than $200 AND it's functional...you can't beat that.

Good luck.