2003 Harley Heritage Classic FLSTCI

Tazman1296
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

2003 Harley Heritage Classic FLSTCI

#1 Unread post by Tazman1296 »

Hi Guys..My 2003 Heritage has about 38000 miles on it and had a small oil leak on the rocker box cover.. After opening that up, I noticed a burnt smell from the oil and ended up pulling the heads. The base gasket had a small perforation in it and had to be replaced. The pistons had eveidence of carbon on them but the cylindre walls did not have any scouring or excessive wear. After reassembly, the bike appears to be fine but I can hear what sounds like the counterbalance chain rattle around periodically. Does anyone else have any experience with this and what are my options to repair this? The oil pump appears to be OK and no sign of any blocked orfices.. I don't want to tear the engine down unless I have to... Thanks for any good advice...

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#2 Unread post by dr_bar »

Might want to move this to the trouble shooting topics, it may get more action there...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#3 Unread post by KingRobb »

Before you go tearing anything down check your primary chains adjustment...doesnt take much slack to get noisy.
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke

Locopez
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 09 HD Electra Glide Classic

#4 Unread post by Locopez »

is the sound coming from the right side....there is a small possiblity that it could be your cam chain tensioners.....This is a problem for the TC 88............I replaced mine around 40k and one looked awesome the other was about ready to go?????
07 Suzuki DR650SE & 03 HD FLHT Elctra Glide

Rubber side down....shinny side up!