Riding: an - aherm - older person's sport?

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Riding: an - aherm - older person's sport?

#1 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Just wondering why there's less and less interest in motorcycling among younger people?

Granted, there are always individual exceptions, and there's a lot of age variance depending on several factors (sportsbike owners vs. cruiser owners, for instance).

But why does it seem like the age of the average motorcyclist is increasing?
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Because now all of the older generations that watched Harleys cruise by and were never able to afford them now can. Look at your average sportbike rider and you'll see he's probably around 23 or 24. Look at your average cruiser/touring rider and he's in his 40s, 50s, 60s...
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#3 Unread post by Kal »

I was kind of surprised how few, with the exception of Daytona, Bikes I saw in Florida

Most of the bikes I did see over there seemed to be hobby machines. It isnt unti we are in our late 30's/40's/50's that most of us have that kind of money spare.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#4 Unread post by KingRobb »

Wrider wrote:Because now all of the older generations that watched Harleys cruise by and were never able to afford them now can. Look at your average sportbike rider and you'll see he's probably around 23 or 24. Look at your average cruiser/touring rider and he's in his 40s, 50s, 60s...
Wrider
:shock:

So at 35...am I below average? :lol:
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#5 Unread post by gsJack »

So at 75...am I above average? :D
407,211 miles in 30.1 years for 13,528 miles/year average. Started 7/21/84, updated 8/26/14

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#6 Unread post by flw »

I would agree there seems to be a general decline in younger people getting into bikes, even used cheaper bikes. So the baby boomers will stop riding at some point and the total ridership is going to tank.

The only reason the numbers have not tanked yet is because of the baby boomers and more pricey riding or show type bikes for them.

I don't know if it the current craze of safety and health that we might live forever if you take certain pills or start exercising regularly or eat a certain diet. Living in a bubble or with false assumptions about what is really dangerous or harmful can be a boring and regretful life in my opinion.

I was friends with a guy some years ago that die of his first heart attack the fall after he ran a "Iron Butt" run. I'm not really sure what the rules are on this run other than you ride non-stop for numerous days getting signatures/receipts along the way.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#7 Unread post by Johnj »

I rode when I was in my twenties, thirties, forties, and now my fifties. That should make me extraordinary. :mrgreen:

So why do I feel extra ordinary?

Kibagari
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by Kibagari »

Out here, it doesn't look like a shortage of motorcyclists. They're around, there are just less of them than one would expect. Kids today want four wheels. They want to look cool, cruising around. The biker image that the 50's-60's-70's cultivated doesn't fit them anymore. Why would anyone want to be on a noisy thing that just makes a lot of noise and can't carry around chicks and groceries and things that most people need?

In my eyes, it's because people have a poor idea of what is economical. Gas prices go up? Get a motorcycle, slap some saddlebags on it, go to the grocery store. Sure, you don't buy as much all at once, but due to the overeating issue the US has, isn't that a good thing?

Pretty soon, a motorcycle will be the ONLY economical method of transportation. Hell, it's up there right now. Only thing close is a small diesel car that gets 50+ or so mpg. Why do you want a four wheel heap of junk that gets 20 mpg (if you're lucky), when you can have a two wheel dream that gets 50+ mpg?

People are afraid of motorcycles because they're "not as safe" as cages are. They want their stereos, their heat, their a/c, and all those creature comforts. They don't want to interact with the world around them, no! God forbid they have to actually pay attention to what's going on!

As long as we keep doing what we're doing safely and efficiently, more people will move over to the light side of the force. But as I've seen on a log of blogs here, a lot of people have always wanted to, but never have. Sometimes all a person needs are a few words of encouragement to go out and get on a bike.[/b]
"Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot."
D. H. Lawrence (1885 - 1930)
-------------------------------
1976 Honda CB360T

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#9 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I started riding in college and know a whole bunch of guys my age riding. I'd say that at least a third of the riding classes I teach are guys/girls under 25. Considering how big an investment that is for a young person compared to an older one- I say this myth is busted!
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Kibagari
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by Kibagari »

storysunfolding wrote:I started riding in college and know a whole bunch of guys my age riding. I'd say that at least a third of the riding classes I teach are guys/girls under 25. Considering how big an investment that is for a young person compared to an older one- I say this myth is busted!

But Jamie, you know that a week after this episode is aired, we're going to get TONS of emails from fans who said we did it wrong.
"Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot."
D. H. Lawrence (1885 - 1930)
-------------------------------
1976 Honda CB360T