Like info on Yamaha FZ 600

frankjohnson
Rookie
Rookie

Like info on Yamaha FZ 600

#1 Unread post by frankjohnson »

My last bikes 2000 interceptor and 91 ninja 1100. For sport touring and winding ride, i'd like your input. Thanks. I'm a little older and like the idea of a smaller bike if not squirly.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

You mean the FZ6? I love the thing... As soon as I have the money, I'm either getting on one of those or a naked 03 SV1000... I've ridden one, it was smooth, fairly powerful, and quick!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Darth Snootchie
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by Darth Snootchie »

I think you'll be in for a pleasant ride. I love my FZ6. I bought it as a commuter bike, and do about 70km a day during the riding season. The seat is comfortable enough for the commute, but if my wife wants to do more days trips this year, I'll be looking for an aftermarket seat.

Other than that, it has good enough power and is a hoot in the twisties.

The only drawback I can see is the battery. It's underneath the gas tank, and I hate having to drain the gas to get at it. With my wife's CBR125, I just have to pop the seat to get to it.
2003 Suzuki GZ250 (sold)
2006 Yamaha FZ6

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#4 Unread post by dean owens »

Darth Snootchie wrote:The only drawback I can see is the battery. It's underneath the gas tank, and I hate having to drain the gas to get at it. With my wife's CBR125, I just have to pop the seat to get to it.
that's a horrible design (and i'm not talking about safety - i wouldn't attempt to know anything about that). as often as bike batteries can go bad or need charging...

even with that info, i wish i had the money for one.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

frankjohnson
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by frankjohnson »

Thanks for the responses. I thought the bit about the battery location a joke till i read the following post. Wow, that an unexpected fly in the ointment but i'm saving my money for an 08. The u.s. model is really cool looking with blacked out engine and frame. I'm wondering if it will be stable at speed. Any thoughts on that, thanks.

Big B
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#6 Unread post by Big B »

the fz6 is a wonderful bike. as far as the battery location, if you have a battery tender (and you should if the bike ever sits for any length of time) the leads for the tender will come out far enough that you don't have to mess with the tank to charge the battery
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

ManicFZ6
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by ManicFZ6 »

Another FZ6 owner her. This bike is so much fun to ride! Handles so good in them there curves! And it has enough power. Mine is a 05, so I'm sure the new ones are even better. A good sport tourer too, right guys?
Alan Cargile

Darth Snootchie
Regular
Regular

#8 Unread post by Darth Snootchie »

Big B wrote:the fz6 is a wonderful bike. as far as the battery location, if you have a battery tender (and you should if the bike ever sits for any length of time) the leads for the tender will come out far enough that you don't have to mess with the tank to charge the battery
Never thought of that...I'll have to remember that for winter 08/09.

:laughing:

Not that I'm writing off the '08 season or anything!
ManicFZ6 wrote: A good sport tourer too, right guys?
I think it is, I've only been riding for two years, but I've ridden several bikes, and the FZ6 is tops for me.
2003 Suzuki GZ250 (sold)
2006 Yamaha FZ6

ManicFZ6
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by ManicFZ6 »

Oh man, I couldn't stand that kind of cold. Today It was 72 F here, and I rode all day! I wish the same for all of you! :)
Alan Cargile

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#10 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Oh man, I was really thinking of getting an FZ6 until I decided it was too much bike for my experience level. But anyway, did a lot of research on it, and you might find these comparos useful . . .

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadt ... omparison/

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/146_0412 ... index.html
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."