SBK15
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Finnaly, a fuel injected dual sport.

#1 Unread post by SBK15 »

Yamaha has released a WR250R for 2008, and while i was reading the specs i noticed in big black letters "FUEL INJECTION". The first thing i said was "No WaY!" but as a read on and on the bike really is fuel injected. I'm hoping suzuki, kawasaki or honda will catch on to this and put fuel injection on there big 650cc dual sports. I dont understand why ATLEAST one of their dual sports arent fuel injected...

I heard on some yamaha forum that yamaha claimed this bike at 30 Horsepower, and 18 ft. lbs of torque.

Does anyone know if they're bringin this bike to the states???

Here some pictures...

They also make a SuperMoto version.

-2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Current Ride
-2007 Suzuki DR650 - Sold
-2007 Kawasaki Eliminator - Sold

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#2 Unread post by paul246 »

Most dual sports are single cylinder. IMHO, fuel injection on a single is unecessary overkill as far as fuel management goes. A carb works just fine, I give my bike a bit of choke on the handlebar mounted lever, fire it up and turn off the choke a few seconds later, simple.

Now here is why I really don't want fuel injection.... it requires a fuel pump. My bike works fine on simple gravity feed. Gravity is always there for you. A failed fuel pump means your bike won't run, and that will happen out in the middle of nowhere, almost guaranteed. It recently happend to a buddy when his fuel injected touring bike quit out in the boonies on a road trip last summer.

To me, if riding a dual sport, especially off-road, you want to keep things as simple and reliable as possible. The less you have, the less will break. Hence I selected my machine because it has no radiator, and no fuel injection. But, it does have what counts, lots of ground clearence, a tough long travel suspension and a tough proven engine.

I guess I should point out that I ride the bike off-road quite frequently.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#3 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

I asked a local dealer about this bike when the 08's hit the floors late last year. He said that they wouldn't be getting them until febuary or march. So, we ARE going to get this bike, it IS on yamaha's website.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/produ ... /home.aspx
we're getting BOTH the off roader AND the 'tard. I want one. Of each.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

Big B
Site Supporter - Platinum

#4 Unread post by Big B »

it'd be even better if yamaha made the wr450 street legal

i'd buy one in a heartbeat
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

SBK15
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

#5 Unread post by SBK15 »

Is the WR450 Fuel injected...?
-2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Current Ride
-2007 Suzuki DR650 - Sold
-2007 Kawasaki Eliminator - Sold

Big B

#6 Unread post by Big B »

no, it's still carburated
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#7 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

Big B wrote:it'd be even better if yamaha made the wr450 street legal

i'd buy one in a heartbeat
yesyesyesyesyesyes!!!

though I'd take a street legal CRF450X over that.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#8 Unread post by slimcolo »

Wow didn't the 1995 GS dual sport have this? (R-twins) The 650 GS FI in 2002. (first single dual sport FI)

So now that Yamaha has caught on maybee Honda and the other Japs will too. BMW had ABS on street bikes in 1988 but took HD 30 more years!

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#9 Unread post by paul246 »

The WR250R certainly is a nice design, I look forward to trying one someday.

But can someone please explain to me why all the fuss about FI on a single? What are the real advantages ( no choke isn't one of them, either)?

Honda has FI on many of their bikes, even the little 49cc scooters are FI, but Honda and most others up til now use carbs on their serious off-road machines, even the king of the Baja 1000 (XR650R) runs on a carb.

KTM is another example, all their off-road machines use a carb, the Adventure Bikes (not off-road) use FI. If KTM seems to know that it is best to stay with a carb for anything off-road, then the rest must be on to something as well.

FI doesn't save weight and it adds to complexity(high pressure fuel system and pump). It may make the mixture more consistent throught the RPM range and under various loads, but that isn't permanent either. One major problem with FI that does not exist with a carb is pintel fouling. Every time the engine is shut down after a good run a small amount of gas is cooked on the pintel while the engine heat soaks. This will affect fuel atomization over time and lower efficiency. It can be corrected by cleaning of course, but not with any "pour out of a can remedy" Kind of sounds like a similar problem with leaving a carb sitting around with old fuel in it. :|

editted: I just thought of one good advantage to FI on a dual-sport, riding in mountainous areas, the FI will adjust automatically to altitude changes. Never thought of it til now as the biggest altitude change I ever see is +/- 800 feet. :lol:
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport