intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: FZ6

V-Twin vs Inline 4

#1 Unread post by intotherain »

SV650 vs FZ6

I'm impressed. With almost 30 HP less than my FZ6, the SV650 managed to be ahead of my bike until I hit 9,000 RPM, at which I pulled ahead.

That's all.

SBK15
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

#2 Unread post by SBK15 »

But with a V-TWIN bike, when you open it up, you wont have to wait for the RPMs to come up. the minute you slam the throttle, it'll be immidiate power. I've noticed with Gixxers you have to wait till the RPMs come up.
-2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Current Ride
-2007 Suzuki DR650 - Sold
-2007 Kawasaki Eliminator - Sold

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum

#3 Unread post by Skier »

Thankfully most motorcycles have this "shifter" doohickey that allows you to keep the engine in the powerband.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: FZ6

#4 Unread post by intotherain »

Skier wrote:Thankfully most motorcycles have this "shifter" doohickey that allows you to keep the engine in the powerband.
Yeah but the bad thing about is that I can only stay in the powerband in 1st gear before I go over the speed limit for any road in CA, unless of course I'm at the track, which I can usually get to 4th or 5th gear!. :|

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Sev »

About 60km/h is where hp takes over from torque. And V-twins will always be better at producing torque then inline fours.

The 600 inline fours have this really neat HIT at about 10,000rpm. Makes things a lot of fun. Keep the engine boiling and you'll get somewhere fast.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

SBK15
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

#6 Unread post by SBK15 »

Skier wrote:Thankfully most motorcycles have this "shifter" doohickey that allows you to keep the engine in the powerband.
Maybe so, but say an SV pulls up next to ya. when he pins the throttle down, he's gonna imediately take off, but you have to either shift down a couple gears, or wait for the RPMs to come up. Now a 4 cyl sounds 10 times better, and thats the only reason i'd want inline 4 over a V Twin
-2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Current Ride
-2007 Suzuki DR650 - Sold
-2007 Kawasaki Eliminator - Sold

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Sev »

SBK15 wrote:
Maybe so, but say an SV pulls up next to ya. when he pins the throttle down, he's gonna imediately take off, but you have to either shift down a couple gears, or wait for the RPMs to come up. Now a 4 cyl sounds 10 times better, and thats the only reason i'd want inline 4 over a V Twin
Really depends on what speed and rpm range both are riding at. Generalizations like that will get you in trouble.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Skier

#8 Unread post by Skier »

SBK15 wrote:
If he's in a high gear with low engine RPMs and I'm sandbaggin' with very little throttle, just at the bottom end of my power band, he's going to be seeing taillights. Generalizations are easy to shoot down.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#9 Unread post by Brackstone »

All I care about is beating other cars at the line. I'm pretty sure my Ducati 696 can do that to most automobiles.

As for other bikers? I prefer to think of them as allies :)
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#10 Unread post by KingRobb »

I am always amazed at the number of different length vs girth arguments riders can get into. Do any of you just like to ride?
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke