SBK15
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Bulloney

#1 Unread post by SBK15 »

Here in Tennessee they for Years, have let 14 year olds get their motorcycle licences. They've restricted us to 125cc. 15 yr. olds are restriced to 650cc & under. When your 16..they skys the limit.
Well, not to long ago a 14 yr. old had a street legal DR125. He had a riding buddy that was 16 yrs old, and they where riding down the street and something happened to the 14 yr. old and he got in a huge wreck, and it killed him :shock: . Well, now the 16 yr. old says that 14 & 15 year olds, SHOULDN'T be on the street PERIOD. This law has passed the first part of passing a bill. :( The 16 year old stated: "14 & 15 year olds just Aren't cordinated enough to be on the streets. they should be taken off"

But if you think about it, thats WRONG, my dad's buddy is 42 years old, and he was on a black 919 hornet, and he put it down in a turn going about 60 MPH. So it's not age, its the amount of experience the rider has. But here in Oak Ridge the old blue haired grannys call the cops on you when you ride in the back yards...so theres NO WAY we can get any sort of experience. I think it's a good idea to start someone when there 14 on a motorcycle...it gives them experience on a 125cc bike, and it keeps from some punk from gettin a 600 GSXR for his first bike.

Well, i sure hope this law WON'T pass!!!! :evil:
- SBK15
Last edited by SBK15 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Current Ride
-2007 Suzuki DR650 - Sold
-2007 Kawasaki Eliminator - Sold

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#2 Unread post by jonnythan »

There's no way 14 and 15 year old kids should be operating motor vehicles on public streets, sorry.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

SBK15
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

#3 Unread post by SBK15 »

Why?
Give me a GOOD explanation.
-2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Current Ride
-2007 Suzuki DR650 - Sold
-2007 Kawasaki Eliminator - Sold

pinger05
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha V-Star 650

#4 Unread post by pinger05 »

As the father of an 11 year old - I can tell you that there is no way I would trust my son on a 125 or any other motorcycle until he is at least 16.

At the end of the day it all comes down to how involved the parents are in their children's life. That 14 year olds dad must have either really trusted him (and there was a freak accident) or the dad was not involved at all and had no idea what was happening.

This is another effort to regulate common sense. Cant be done effectively.
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
Ural Patrol <Wish list>
All it takes for evil to triumph is good me to do nothing

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#5 Unread post by High_Side »

In a different time a DT200 Yamaha carried me to school everyday that the snow wasn't too deep from the time I was 14 y.o. onward. I wouldn't have wanted to ride in the city, but given the situation it was reasonably safe ......if not really legal....

ElChado87
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by ElChado87 »

I remember how I was on the road when I first got my license at 16. I also remember my recklessness at 14. Honestly, I don't think 14 year olds are even ready for their Learner's Permit.
I certainly would not trust my sister driving ANY of my vehicles. I don't care how big their engines are. A 125 can still provide the necessary power to break laws and cause injuries.
Even a pedal powered mountain bike can kill.
If you want experience on a motorcycle, find some friends with a farm. No, you won't get street experience, but you might learn how a bike works. At least when your 16, protected by a metal cage and some airbags, you might get a feel for how the roads really work, and learn some judgement. Then you can get on 2 wheels.
Learning to drive at 14 was a scary experience because your judgement skills are not there. Your brain isn't even developed enough to make proper decisions.
And as said by somebosy else on this forum, experience is not what matters. What matters is the TYPE of experience. If you get away with making mistakes all the time, then you learn those behaviours to be good ones, while in fact they are wrong.
What also comes (but not always) with AGE is MATURITY. Yes, some kids are mature beyond their years, but not most kids. And thats just what, 14 to even 18 19 and 20 year olds are, is Kids.

I'm 21. I do my best to be a mature adult. Put me beside an elder, and I'm STILL a kid.
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: FZ6

#7 Unread post by intotherain »

Yeah it's too young but I got my bike when I was 15, and I turned out alright, but I also got pretty lucky. -_-, Seriously, the difference in those few years are huge.

ElChado87
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by ElChado87 »

True. I'm not saying ALL kids are bad, but there is a factor of luck in there too lol

I would have loved to have a bike at 16, but knowing what I know now, it's better that I didn't. :mrgreen:
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#9 Unread post by storysunfolding »

A good reason?

Lack of experience navigating roads filled with traffic? A great time to get that experience is AFTER drivers ed and navigating it in a solid metal cage!

Wait... maybe science has something to say? NIH, go!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... usat_x.htm
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: FZ6

#10 Unread post by intotherain »

ElChado87 wrote:True. I'm not saying ALL kids are bad, but there is a factor of luck in there too lol

I would have loved to have a bike at 16, but knowing what I know now, it's better that I didn't. :mrgreen:
Yeah, same here... I'm 18 now, and looking back at all the stupid crap I did when I first got my bike, I wish I didn't get it until later, even maybe now.. I think I'm pretty responsible but I might look back at myself when I'm 20 and think the same thing. hehe