Insurance: Cheap!

R3sp4wN
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Insurance: Cheap!

#1 Unread post by R3sp4wN »

I am 25 and am about to purchase my first bike. I went to my insurance agency today to get a quote and was utterly shocked! Full coverage on a 250cc Ninja is only $18/month; for the 500cc Ninja, $23. This is the $50 comprehensive and $500 collision deductible option. I am not sure, but I was expecting the insurance to be WAY more.

I am insured by State Farm and have been an accident-free customer for almost 10 years. This fact may have something to do with the cheap rates; but if you are looking for cheap insurance that offers great protection, you may want to give State Farm a call. Once again, I am not quite sure if this is regular pricing for motorcycle insurance, but I had the impression that I would be spending a pretty penny for insurance.

*State Farm does not offer a discount for the completion of the MSF course, but I am ok with that. :wink:

_R3sp4wN
Last edited by R3sp4wN on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrueFaith
Veteran
Veteran

#2 Unread post by TrueFaith »

Ditto. My insurance company quoted me $415 for the FZ6 I considered buying and a measly $354 a year for the Ninja 250R I ended up with. I'm an old guy with a good driving record, but here in Massachusetts I expected to pay a LOT more than that. I should've asked what they charged for a newly licensed driver buying an F1 for comparison, because I'll bet it's considerably more.

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#3 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

Ditto as above, cheap insurance for me, too. Funny, considering I have two tickets to my name, and I'm only 21 :laughing: $450 a year, full coverage on the ninja 650r. True Faith, who's the company you're through? I've got Safety Insurance, not sure who else is out there for MA. I'm happy with them, well moreso the agent. Small town place, great customer service, and they know me first name.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

TrueFaith
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by TrueFaith »

I have Arabella Mutual Insurance from my agent, Eastern Insurance out of Wakefield, MA. Give 'em a call for a quote. Couldn't hurt. (781) 245-3700. Don't forget that things should be a lot more competitive next month when other insurance companies like Geico and Progressive are finally allowed to to business in Mass. again.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#5 Unread post by Brackstone »

Ditto on cheapo insurance.

Insurance for me in Jersey is like $300.

The guy said "Ok your total comes to $300" I was like "...a month?"
The guy burst out laughing "No that's for the year"
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

desper
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by desper »

for my scrambler, with 10 years perfect driving record and nearly maxed out on the discounts, I'm paying $1800/year with no collision insurance. And another $1800 for my 4 dr sedan!

At least the weather's nice.
'07 Triumph Scrambler 900

TrueFaith
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by TrueFaith »

Pretty high, but you also get free health care when you fall off the bike.

TrueFaith
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by TrueFaith »

Ooops! My bad. Should've said IF you fall off the bike.

desper
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by desper »

TrueFaith wrote:Pretty high, but you also get free health care when you fall off the bike.
Well, I do spend more than 2 grand a month on taxes plus $55/mnth on healthcare premiums(not to mention my extended healthcare costs), so I don't know about free.

So theres the dilemma, i don't get my money's worth unless I do fall of the bike.
'07 Triumph Scrambler 900

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#10 Unread post by Skier »

State Farm does most of their calculations by engine displacement. The smaller the engine, the less you pay. State Farm was about $800 a year cheaper for motorcycle insurance for me than Progressive or Geico.

I have a special deal for state employees for a different insurance company so I am even cheaper than State Farm. ;)
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]