Why do OCC bikes make that noise?

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

Why do OCC bikes make that noise?

#1 Unread post by canuckerjay »

Okay -- for someone more technically inclined than I:

I used to like American Chopper (like a lot of other people) and as the years worn on, so did the show. Now it's more about them socially as opposed to the mechanix.

But I digress. . .

Over the years, on the occasion where I watch a bike finally come to the point of test ride, I've noticed that many of them make a high pitched 'chirp' noise. The throaty exhaust note is still there, but it sounds like a budgie is desperatly trying to escape a cylinder head.

Just wondering if anyone knows why this is?
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#2 Unread post by fireguzzi »

Poorly lined up primary belt? Shitty chromed brake rotors. Squeaky chromed painted themed spinners that were made in house by a bunch of horses bottoms. incorrect tolerances inside the unlubed five thousand cubic inch s&s motor with some crazy a$$ air intake that whistles.
Most likely though it is paulies whiney a$$ in the background yellin at his daddy.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

SHADOW1100T
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by SHADOW1100T »

Beleive it or not the exhaust can make that sound, it's caused by the pressure wave of sound creating a vacuum and sucking in air, had a flat tracker one time that sounded like it had a bunch of birds liveing in the muffs.
Ted

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

I'll agree with FireGuzzi... Although I think that high pitched chirp you're hearing is the air intake on the motors... When you've got that big of a motor running on two intake valves per cylinder it's gonna try to take in more air than it can...
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha