I need help

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#11 Unread post by jonnythan »

metalhead0216 wrote:i know asking if its a good begginer bike is a stupid question but i knda just jumped into this with no research at all me and my friends wich only one of them has ever riden a bike went to look at bikes and they tell me this deal is good and doesnt come around often so i bought it a little stupid i know now i wasnt inormed that it was very diffecult to ride a bike hats off to all who do know how ty for the responce
Riding isn't very difficult.

There are a few reasons you're finding it very difficult:

1) You have no idea what you're doing.
2) That bike, a supersport, is designed expressly to translate even the most subtle inputs of the rider into movement. It's designed to do this very quickly.

See, a bike like a Ninja 500 or V-Star 650 or whatnot is a forgiving bike. This means that the bike does not have razor-sharp steering, super sensitive brakes, incredible amounts of power, or a very high center of gravity. Your ZR-7S has all of these things. When you make a small mistake (as we all do, especially when starting out) on a supersport bike, the bike immediately translates that mistake into motion. Sometimes this is violent motion, as you have already discovered since you laid the bike down. The amount of power the bike has just exacerbates the violence with which the bike will respond to your inputs; the power itself is not the only factor that makes it dangerous.

Your options are well-outlined above. I think that if you sign up for and take the MSF class, you will realize almost immediately that a smaller, more forgiving bike is significantly easier to manage.

Riding isn't hard. When you're on the right bike.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#12 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

I think you guys are thinking of the Zx7...

The Zr7s is a naked/semi-fared bike that competed with the SV650, and was a step up from the ninja 500. It has 70 hp and 45 ft-lbs of torque. It is more of a sport tourer.

It is actually a good second bike, and could be a first bike for someone who takes the MSF, and practices in a parkinglot for 100 miles or so, and isn't completely mentally challenged (but if spelling is any judge, might be hit or miss in this case).

My buddy started on my 84 VF700F, which has similar horsepower specs, with more torque, he took his time and it turned out to be an excellent first bike for him. So it isn't as terrible as you all are making it out to be.

However, he took the MSF, practiced on an old UJM of mine, and took it easy.

If this guy had taken the MSF, and even half-way picked up what he was supposed to be doing, he probably wouldn't have crashed, and could have worked into the bike.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

metalhead0216
Rookie
Rookie

#13 Unread post by metalhead0216 »

im taking the msf next week and im going to buy gear to then im take it to a parking lot and get lots of practice

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#14 Unread post by jstark47 »

metalhead0216 wrote:im taking the msf next week and im going to buy gear to then im take it to a parking lot and get lots of practice
Sounds like you're on the right track now. Just be a little careful with that thing- I don't have specific experience with the zr7s, but inline 4's tend to have some torque "pop" at the upper RPM's. It can surprise you if you're not looking for it.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S