Different type of bike...for a different type of ride?

BlueBomber
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Different type of bike...for a different type of ride?

#1 Unread post by BlueBomber »

I like my bike, but I never end up doing the type of riding I bought it for.

I bought my Suzuki Boulevard M50 under the false impression that all the guys I know with cruisers that actually do ride all the time...would actually like to do it with me from time to time.

Apparently we live on different schedules. So I end up zipping around town and around some curves and twistys and hills...all by my lonesome. I end up being a small hooligan...in an underpowered and heavy for what it is bike.

My problem is that I know all too well that an 800cc cruiser is no FREAKING match for some 600cc sport bike...but I don't really know where the "rest" of the bikes line up.

For example, if I end up buying a 2003 Nighthawk 750...is that going to be a total joke underneath my large frame? (6'3" 279lbs) If I splurged in the end of year and got a late model Triumph Speed Triple would I end up killing myself before I even got the beast home?

Basically I'm just looking for people to suggest more "standard type" or "street fighter" style bikes that I can look at and dream about. Things I already know I like the looks of etc are:

Nighthawks (all used now of course)
V-Strom
Speed Triple
saw a Yamaha 850 special that looked nice
the new Euro only harley LOOKS about right too.

if you've got any on your wish list with the same ideas, let me know.

\/\/
Suzuki Boulevard M50 - Bright Blue

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Personally I'd love to ride that Speed Triple.. But for the type of ride, I'd also throw in the SV 650 and 1K... The Yamaha FZ6 is another good choice. So is the Honda 599 and the Kwaka Zr-7 and Z750. All good mid sized bikes for more of a sport ride...
Oh, and from experience, it depends on the rider, I used to smoke the squids through the twisties! lol
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#3 Unread post by storysunfolding »

The Xs 850 is awesome... but doesn't get great gas mileage. I love it as my tug because it has nice torque and pulls the sidecar well. By itself, it isn't remarkable and is very heavy.

The V-strom is awesome though. :laughing:
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

oxbow1
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by oxbow1 »

I'm 5' 10" 240 lbs and I ride a Nighthawk 750, it gets me around pretty good, it has enough power to get me from 40 to 60 when I need to get a little distance between me and the cages.
I haven't been on the highway with it yet (NEWB) but it has some get up and go, I was told before I bought it that a 750 was minimum for someone my size (fat kcuf).I would love to have the Vstrom 650 and one of the site guys here (Mike) got one last year look around the site and ask him what he thinks.
I know my first bike after my rookie years (3) is going to be a Honda VTX 1300.
I Only Kill Deer Because The Live One's Are Hard To Eat.

93 Nighthawk 750

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#5 Unread post by gsJack »

I'm 6' and 240# and a 500cc gets me around very well.
407,211 miles in 30.1 years for 13,528 miles/year average. Started 7/21/84, updated 8/26/14

oxbow1
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by oxbow1 »

PS
I have a 30" inseam and I have to stand up on my peg's once I get rolling to TRY and get comfortable.I also have arty ritis in my knees,thats why I'm looking to get the VTX 1300, it's more comfortable,I'd have it now except my wife wants to pay the mortgage and feed the kids.
I Only Kill Deer Because The Live One's Are Hard To Eat.

93 Nighthawk 750

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#7 Unread post by jstark47 »

Will! doood!! Where ya been? Nice to see ya back here on TMW.

As a large man myself, I can recommend a V-strom. The frame is large and comfy for a big guy, and the engine, especially the 1000 version, has gobs more power than your M50.

Speed Triples are seductively comfortable, but that throttle is twitchy. It's an overally smaller bike than the V-strom, and way more powerful even. I can't say anything bad about the Speed Trip, just be careful at first if you go that way.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#8 Unread post by flynrider »

I like the Nighthawk as a good all-around bike. It doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but it does everything pretty well. The seating position and big flat seat are great for long road trips, as is the smooth inline 4 engine. It's also at home on twisty backroads, although you won't be waxing a whole lot of sportbikes, unless they ride like dumbasses (actually happens a lot around here).

With around 70hp at the rear wheel it's got enough power for just about any street application. The motor has been detuned to deliver more low end torque for the street. With hydraulic valve adjusters and an o-ring chain, it's about as close to "maintenance free" as you can get.

As others mentioned, there are other standards you can get, and most of them fall into this same general category. Decent (but not stunning) performance with a standard riding position. It's a nice combo if you don't need a specialized bike for a particular type of riding.

I used to ride a friend's XS850 and XS750 triples a lot. Those are great bikes if you can find one in good shape.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#9 Unread post by mgdavis »

You actually like how the V-Strom looks? You might want to go talk to an optometrist about that. :laughing:

The Strom is a great bike; jack of all trades, master of none, if you will. Power should be plenty even with the 650, and there's always the 1000.

If you want more of a streetfighter/naked bike, you could check out the SV650 too.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

Big B
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#10 Unread post by Big B »

vfr :twisted: god, those things are sweet, am really struggling to not trade the vtx in on one of the anniversary editions
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!