I can't decide.

damooster
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

I can't decide.

#1 Unread post by damooster »

Based on my budget, I have identified a few bikes I wouldn't mind having, but I can't decide! My primary use would be a short 12 mile commute on the interstate to work and then weekly rides with the local motorcycle group that can go for about 2 hours a trip.

The bikes I like are (in no particular order):

Harley XL 883
Shadow Spirit 750
Vulcan 500
Boulevard S50
V Star Custom 650

I know that's a pretty broad range of bikes but I really can't decide. I was hoping some of you could debate and let me know which one you would get?

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

Re: I can't decide.

#2 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

damooster wrote:Based on my budget, I have identified a few bikes I wouldn't mind having, but I can't decide! My primary use would be a short 12 mile commute on the interstate to work and then weekly rides with the local motorcycle group that can go for about 2 hours a trip.

Harley XL 883
Shadow Spirit 750
Vulcan 500
Boulevard S50
V Star Custom 650

I know that's a pretty broad range of bikes but I really can't decide. I was hoping some of you could debate and let me know which one you would get?
Well, I guess two questions come to me.

How much experience do you have?
How big of a person are you?

I like the 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 that I have so far. Admittedly, I've only put 35 miles on it so far.

The down side to the bike so far - for me - seems to be the amount of lower-speed shifting that I have to do.

I'm 5' 9", 175 lbs, 30 inch inseam.

I like the 883 myself, but it was weird. The magazine price guide I was looking at had one for less than what is the lowest price on the web page - but I don't see that model anywhere.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

SHADOW1100T
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by SHADOW1100T »

All the bikes you have listed are good for what you want to do, the 883 has been around for a long time so if you needed something there's a lot of used parts out there but the 883 has for a number of years got the award for having the most uncomfortable seat ever made.
The Shadow is a darn good bike, reliable as heck and with reasonable care will last a very long time.
The V Star has gotten very good reviews, the engine is based on a design that been around for a long time so should be very reliable.
The other 2 I don't know that much about but I will say that Suzuki is one of the most under rated bikes around and in the past have proved to be a lot of bike for the money.
narrow things down, pick a style you like, color always plays a big part, narrow down the field and make a choice, leave the 500 out, you want the cc's but not necessarily the 883, the 750 and the 650 will leave it in the dust when push comes to shove but if you want the sound of a Harley
the 883 is it, personally I would go with a rice burner, I love there reliability.
HOPE THIS DIDN'T MAKE IT WORSE FOR YA.
Ted

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#4 Unread post by dean owens »

if you're looking at budget... have you considered used? if so i would look at a cx500. you'll have to check craigslist. but these bikes (if taken care of) are just about bullet proof and will get you about 50 mpg (in good running order). you can also look for the gl500. both of these also have a 650 but the 650 was only made for one year (83).

but if you're looking new... all those bikes sound great. they're all v-twins except the vulcan. if you care about the v-twin then the vulcan would be out. otherwise, go sit on 'em and see how they feel. my father-in-law just bought a bike. he was leaning heavily towards a sportster and a little towards a shadow. went and sat on bikes and walked out with a boulevard c50. moral of the story, go sit on 'em.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#5 Unread post by koji52 »

SHADOW1100T wrote:All the bikes you have listed are good for what you want to do, the 883 has been around for a long time so if you needed something there's a lot of used parts out there but the 883 has for a number of years got the award for having the most uncomfortable seat ever made.
Yea dude...if you get an 883, buy an aftermarket seat, the stock seat is a piece of crap. I got the corbin solo and I absolutely love it.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

oxbow1
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by oxbow1 »

the only negative thing I've heard about any of those bikes is that the 883 has a small fuel tank, other than that I don't see how you could go wrong with any of them.
I Only Kill Deer Because The Live One's Are Hard To Eat.

93 Nighthawk 750

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#7 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Check the Suzuki M50. Call the guys out at Romney cycle in WV and you'll be surprised at the prices they have on any of those bikes. No inside the beltway prices- just awesome huge warehouse prices
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Koss
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#8 Unread post by Koss »

Yea, those M50's are really sharp looking!
http://www.livevideo.com/Koss

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#9 Unread post by jonnythan »

The more I see M50s in person, the less I like them.

The design looks so.... busy, I guess. It just feels like there are unnecessary accents and panels all over the place. Feels very overengineered for looks.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

whisper15
Elite
Elite

Re: I can't decide.

#10 Unread post by whisper15 »

damooster wrote:Based on my budget, I have identified a few bikes I wouldn't mind having, but I can't decide! My primary use would be a short 12 mile commute on the interstate to work and then weekly rides with the local motorcycle group that can go for about 2 hours a trip.

Harley XL 883
Shadow Spirit 750
Vulcan 500
Boulevard S50
V Star Custom 650

:wave: I bought my V star silverado custom the first part of December. I ride it to work sometimes it is 15 miles, no problem. Most I have ridden in one day is 325 miles. It is very comfortable and a great ride. The tank on a 883 is small. That is why I did not get the Harley. The Shadow 750 has a little more power. But I decided on the V-Star and I think it was a great choice for me.
:roll: Hope this helps you a little. Most of all you should try them out for yourself. But if you are going to ride a distance the 883 probably isn't the bike for you. Any of the others might work better.
Ride Often and Ride Safe.