Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#11 Unread post by Wrider »

Gummiente wrote:
Wrider wrote:I guess what I meant was that it's no traditional H-D with the perennial 45 degree Pushrod Air-cooled V-Twin.
That is a much better and more helpful response than "Lol the V-Rod is no Harley! It may say it on the name badge but it's a Porsche, literally" doncha think? Porsche helped design the engine, that is true. However, the rest of the bike - frame and all - came from Harley. Porsche isn't exactly in the bike building business. :wink:

And FYI, if it says Harley on the tank then that's good enough for me. Personally, I wish they would concentrate more on the water cooled motors. I think my Road Glide would benefit from a large displacement wethead v-twin, but Harley knows what the majority of their customers want... and apparently they still want a large, air cooled 45 degree v-twin.
Fair enough bud! :cheers: And yeah, about the liquid cooling. I think because of the EPA the current Twin Cam 96 may very well be the last air-cooled Harley engine. Even with the EFI and running it lean it's getting so that the air-cooled engines are having more and more trouble passing emissions standards. I really think that the next engine H-D puts out will be liquid cooled.
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

DustyJacket
Site Supporter - Platinum

#12 Unread post by DustyJacket »

If you want to look at a Vrod, don't overlook the Street Rod variant. It has mid-controls and a larger gas tank.

Much less of the folded taco feeling I got from sitting on the original version.

I know some folks that have the Vrod, and they ride them short and long distances.

It just depends what works for you. Each person is different.

I highly recommend going to demo days. The first time I did, I rode the models I was looking at buying and they didn't do it for me. I ended up buying a different model.
Bikers Against Child Abuse - Kansas City Chapter
www.bacainternational.org

Bill and Pete do the Dragon's Tail at Deal's Gap:
www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#13 Unread post by slimcolo »

Gummiente wrote
Unlike most (if not all) of the other manufacturers, Harley will actually let you test ride one before you sign on the dotted line.
must be a Canadian thing Only times I was turned down for a test ride was with Royal Enfield, Boss Hoss, Hysung, Agusta and Biomota. Buell (same dealer as Agusta, Hysung and HD) gave a major hassle but still let me ride (just wanted Hydro pack anyway) In 2006 Buell would not let me test ride without a Full Face but would let me test ride a HD w/ a 3/4.

I have ridden (on test rides) Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaski, BMW (several different dealers), HD(several different dealers), Triumph, Ducati, Guzi(at old dealer-APEX- not new one-PPHD) , Cagiva and Ural.

Never tried to test ride a Dpner, Suzuki, Victory, Ridley, MZ or Aprilia

Once I even had a Honda shop let me "test ride" a used BMW for an entire day (about 5 hours 200mi) I was serious about that bike but bought an identical one from an private seller cheaper w/ less miles.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#14 Unread post by Gummiente »

slimcolo wrote:must be a Canadian thing
Could very well be, I guess. None of the bike shops I know of will allow a demo ride; a lot of it has to do with insurance rates, I've been told.

Just to clarify, Harley has a "Demo Ride" truck that makes the rounds of all the dealers across the country, but I've only seen demo rides offered from the other manufacturers at special events like Ride For Sight. Most Harley dealers will not let you take one of theirs off the floor for a spin, you have to wait for the demo ride truck to show up. And none of the other brand bike shops I know of will allow you to take one out for a spin, either.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#15 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Our local ducati, victory and harley dealers have bikes devoted to being demo bikes. It's nice being next to a big metropolitan area.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#16 Unread post by paul246 »

Same here, we have Victory, Harley, Ducati and Suzuki demo days locally. Honda seems to be every once in a while and I have never seen a Kawasaki demo day.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#17 Unread post by shane-o »

dont do it
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

baltimorebayside
Regular
Regular

#18 Unread post by baltimorebayside »

Wrider wrote:Lol the V-Rod is no Harley! It may say it on the name badge but it's a Porsche, literally... As for the gas tank, he's right, it's only 2.2 gallons IIRC. Instead of it being in the regular traditional spot, that's where the airbox is on a V-Rod, the gas tank is a plastic box underneath the seat. And yeah, it's the ONLY liquid cooled offering from H-D.
Some people love the seating position, others don't.
To be honest if you're looking for a fast comfortable cruiser, look at the M109R or T. Long distance capable, shaft drive, 140 HP on tap, one of the fastest cruisers out there, and still has the V-Twin, liquid cooled.
Wrider
Fuel Capacity 5.0 gal.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Cont ... cale=en_US

dan
2008 Suzuki C50T

NewGuy
Elite
Elite

#19 Unread post by NewGuy »

On the issue of test rides:

Last year when I was looking at bikes two different H-D dealers would let me take out new bikes to test. I only had to let them photocopy my DL with the motorcycle endorsement and sign an agreement saying if I wrecked it I bought it and that I would not hold the dealer or H-D liable if I got injured. Helmet was required.

No other dealers would let me take a test ride on new bikes. A couple would allow me to buy the bike, and return it within a day or two if I didn't like it. That seemed like a bad deal to me, as I'm sure the dealer would have made it very difficult to actually return the bike after the sale. A couple would allow test rides on used bikes in their inventory.