How do you handle an unknown twisty?

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#31 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

I would say slowly although I know those cafe style GXSERs and such are made to lesan hard and tight. Still, inertia is a muther. I once owned a 1996 Buell S2T with sticky tires and had much fun in the twisties.

crazy5dave
Elite
Elite

#32 Unread post by crazy5dave »

I dont know of the dragon. only 11miles? I ride in Gifu-ken in Japan the "dragon'" here lasts for at least 300 mile around the maze of this state, and must be 10,000 turns. really. crazy and most roads in this part are empty. 1 car ever 10-20 minutes or so. great riding throught the mountains. i ride like hell. my strategy is to memorize the 10-15 hair pins that i know will kill me at ussually speeds. the rest are fair game. here the japanese are real polite and put parbolic mirrors in a lot of the real naughty turns. which is strange. you apex the turn and are tring to look though it and all, but flick your head opposite real quick in the mirror. saved my "O Ring" about half a dozen times. some of these roads are kind of lane and quater and traffic is both ways. doing these speeds in a car would be nuts. i have a lot of fun here. virgin road ride 80-90%. hairpins happen.
2007 Buell XB12Ss

Zagnut
Elite
Elite

#33 Unread post by Zagnut »

Rideing a motorcycle is like fine wine. You sip it slowly and enjoy the experience.
Riding a motorcycle is like a cheap domestic beer...it should be poured through a funnel with a tube at the end into your mouth as fast as you can take it but no so fast that you throw up.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#34 Unread post by ofblong »

dont any of you remember you MSF courses??? Slow down before the curve and then accelerate through it. You should also be in the middle of the lane should you have to move in either direction to avoid "danger".
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#35 Unread post by storysunfolding »

ofblong wrote:dont any of you remember you MSF courses??? Slow down before the curve and then accelerate through it. You should also be in the middle of the lane should you have to move in either direction to avoid "danger".
I remember my MSF class mentioning an outside inside outside path of travel :wink:

Of course the other classes I've taken with more advanced techniques had other ideas. Lee parks ARC, Cornerspeed, etc.

Granted, if I can't see through the turn, I'm only going as fast as I can safely stop. Saved me more than once
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#36 Unread post by ofblong »

storysunfolding wrote:
ofblong wrote:dont any of you remember you MSF courses??? Slow down before the curve and then accelerate through it. You should also be in the middle of the lane should you have to move in either direction to avoid "danger".
I remember my MSF class mentioning an outside inside outside path of travel :wink:

Of course the other classes I've taken with more advanced techniques had other ideas. Lee parks ARC, Cornerspeed, etc.

Granted, if I can't see through the turn, I'm only going as fast as I can safely stop. Saved me more than once
aahh your right. My class stated the accelerate through the turn part but its the SOS riding test I took that stated you should be in the middle of the lane. I am surprised I got those 2 ?'s correct on my test (there were 2 about which part of the lane you should be in that the answer was the middle). Then again those 2 ?'s seemed like the kind of thing the state would ask to try and trick someone.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

motomac
Regular
Regular

#37 Unread post by motomac »

camthepyro wrote:
Skier wrote:If you can't see the entirety of the corner, assume there's an SUV sideways in your lane. Will you be able to straighten the bike and stop in time to avoid a collision?

Riding any faster than that means you are taking more of a risk: some day there will be an obstacle in your path of travel and you may not be able to avoid it.

However, if you can see all the way through the exit, have fun scrub in those tires! :twisted:
Yeah, unfortunately it's pretty heavily wooded, so I can't usually see all the way through the turn. I was hoping there was some magic skill I need to learn.
There is one little trick that works "most" of the time. If the road has telephone poles alongside, even in hilly country or where there is brush blocking your line-of-sight, you can see where the telephone poles go. They "almost" always follow the road....makes it easier for the repair crews to get to them.

Please note the words in quotes....

Also, if you're coming up to a turn where you can only see the entry, and notice lots of skid marks on the pavement and new fencing on the outside of the turn, slowing down a bit might be prudent! :D

Cheers,

Mac

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#38 Unread post by storysunfolding »

There's usually an indicator if it's a sharp turn. Most turns in the U.S. are easily taken at the speed limit unless otherwise posted. In Va, unless the suggested speed drops to 35 or lower, I don't even slow down there's always enough time to react.

Get used to all the indicators of a turn- bank of road, curvature seen, treeline, telephone poles, and obvious breaks in foilage in the distance, if the guy if front of you is standing it up and screaming like a little girl
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#39 Unread post by Shorts »

Here in JP, the real sharp turns are indicated with a convex mirror