Hot weather riding gear

Digginit
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

#31 Unread post by Digginit »

The beauty of being a grown-up is that you can make an informed decision. People can bash all they want, but if you choose to ride in a t-shirt, then ENJOY the RIDE!!! If you want to wear your sneakers then enjoy the breeze on your toes...

My $.02

linz
Cat wrote:Ok. I know I'm setting myself up for a bashing. But. I the summer time the only thing on my arms is the ink in the artwork. I do have a heavy leather vest. The secret, (so I've been told) to avoiding road rash is "keep the shiney side up" :frusty:
JMHO...BWTFDIK
Some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps

blair
Legendary
Legendary

#32 Unread post by blair »

Well, that's true. Just getting on a motorbike increases your chances of dying scattered like a dumped tray of chicken parts from 0 to non-0.

And it's many times more likely to do so than being in a car (aka, a full-body helmet that doesn't hi-side quite so easy).

So what's a few percent more danger?

That settles it. You've convinced me. I'm riding naked with broken glass taped to my gonads from now on...

:rockon:
'93 Honda VT600CD Shadow VLX Deluxe

Digginit
Regular
Regular

#33 Unread post by Digginit »

I'm not trying to convince you, but if you want to ride naked then have at it. We all have to weigh our risks. I'm not going to bash anyone who doesn't want to wear leather in the summer time. That's an individual decision. I don't bash people who don't wear a helmet (except my bf :lol: ). I get annoyed with people who self-righteously slam other equally-intelligent adults for the decisions they make *for themselves*. That's all. There is a difference between stating your opinions about safe riding, safe sex, or whatever you have an opinion about. It's another to try to force your opinions on others. (I'm not speaking of "you" in specific, but "you" in general)

Peace~
linz
Some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps

blair
Legendary
Legendary

#34 Unread post by blair »

And here I thought my sarcasm was self-evident.

Of course, anyone who wants to can motorcycle as dangerously as they feel comfortable. Only their insurance carrier and their old-S.O. really care (and for competing reasons, much of the time).

I don't feel comfortable without helmet and gloves. Safety-wise or just because of the wind, bugs, sun, heat, etc.

I went short-sleeved for a while then added a vest to cut down on the flapping, and it works fine. Still some annoyance from the sleeves, so I may get some sleeveless shirts. But I don't like that look for most destinations.

I know my heavy leather jacket is cooler to ride in than being in the direct sun and 100+ blast, so when the temps get a little above the 95-100 they're holding now, I'll probably trade out the vest.

If this was DC, where it's 90F and 100% humidity, no way would I be wearing a jacket of any kind; maybe not a shirt or pants. I don't even think I could stand to ride. I used to do it on a bicycle, but there I enjoyed holding my sopping, dripping bike shorts over the sink and saying "yeah, I did that".

So go ahead. Bike out the back door of a C-130 at 10,000 feet. You only live once. Might as well get the big air while you can. But, uh, take a parachute, mm-kay? Because there's a limit to everything.
'93 Honda VT600CD Shadow VLX Deluxe

Coach
Veteran
Veteran

#35 Unread post by Coach »

blair wrote: If this was DC, where it's 90F and 100% humidity, no way would I be wearing a jacket of any kind; maybe not a shirt or pants. I don't even think I could stand to ride.
I'm only an hour and a half north of DC and it's not any better here. That's part of the problem that prompted me to start this thread. Even that mesh I just bought is too hot in the mid-afternoon...

AmericanWeiner
Veteran
Veteran

#36 Unread post by AmericanWeiner »

Coach wrote:
I'm only an hour and a half north of DC and it's not any better here. That's part of the problem that prompted me to start this thread. Even that mesh I just bought is too hot in the mid-afternoon...
I'm not sure about DC, but where I live, anything on your back and anything past your knees is too hot for wearing right now.

We've got a ragtop camaro, and it's hell to ride during the day. It does have a windshield, though...that probably has some effect.

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#37 Unread post by keysman »

Coach,

I think the First Gear stuff is pretty good quality so hopefully it will let enough air through, most of the time.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

Coach
Veteran
Veteran

#38 Unread post by Coach »

Today it was already 90 degrees at 10 am. At that rate, it might get up into the mid to upper 90s by mid-afternoon. And it's quite humid out as well.

bennettoid
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#39 Unread post by bennettoid »

I live on the Delmarva Penninsula, across the bay from Baltimore. I had to put the Jacket away this week. I now am wearing a leather vest, 3/4 helmet, short sleeves, jeans, boots and fingerless gloves to ride. I love it in the mornings, but the ride from work can still be hot.
'94 vulcan 750

Dennis27
Veteran
Veteran

#40 Unread post by Dennis27 »

blair wrote:Well, that's true. Just getting on a motorbike increases your chances of dying scattered like a dumped tray of chicken parts from 0 to non-0.

And it's many times more likely to do so than being in a car (aka, a full-body helmet that doesn't hi-side quite so easy).

So what's a few percent more danger?

That settles it. You've convinced me. I'm riding naked with broken glass taped to my gonads from now on...

:rockon:
:laughing: LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing:

Cant say I'm going to try that one... nothing (to me) feels better than riding on a hot summer day with shorts, T-Shirt, and tennis shoes!