Hot weather riding gear

Coach
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Hot weather riding gear

#1 Unread post by Coach »

First, please do not make this a bashing session of those (myself included) who don't always go full leathers every time they get on a bike. I understand the risks involved in my choices and have accepted them so please leave it at that. In cooler weather, I wear my leather coat, jeans, leather boots, gloves and full face helmet. In warmer weather, I have been known to run to the store up the street without the jacket and occassionally (but not usually) in a pair of shorts and running shoes although I frequently will still throw on jeans and boots instead. My general rule is that I won't get on the highway or any other higher speed road without helmet, jeans, boots, gloves and a jacket though. I always wear the helmet and gloves no matter where I'm going.

So, the question is - what are some good, relatively inexpensive options for summer gear, especially jackets. Anything over 75-80 degrees and my leather gets hot. When I get hot, I sweat bad and I've noticed that if I get hot while riding sweat starts running down my face at times which is not real safe inside a fullface helmet. So, I've been looking at the mesh jackets but are there any other good options that don't cost a fortune?
Last edited by Coach on Tue May 31, 2005 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#2 Unread post by Gadjet »

Perforated leather is your only other option.

I wear a JR Rio Mesh jacket, and with the extra shoulder armour removed it is quite comfortable.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

nyrblue35
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by nyrblue35 »

take a look at some of the motogp jackets. if you take the liner out its pretty good for 70 degree weather i have to admit. plus you still have crash padding. its a little cheaper in price than the joe rocket jackets but still nice and comfortable. i got the mesh one for 130.

http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/shop/MotoGP.html
See my bike and accessories at
www.CruiserCustomizing.com/nyrblue35

mswarrior
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by mswarrior »

Myself it's an afforability issue. All I have is my HJC full face helmet and a cheap pair of leather gloves. Unfortunately Canada Pension does not allow extra funds for bike gear. I am always on e-bay looking for a deal of the century but i fear it may never happen. Until I find an affordable jacket I'm stuck with what I have which is not even close to being adequate.
Many say live to ride, I say ride is to live.

Coach
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by Coach »

I bought my leather jacket from bikerleather.com. Excellent quality and great prices. I'm very happy with it. I went down at low speed about 3 months ago (long story) and it barely even scuffed the leather and I was well protected.
The budget issue is also an issue for me in buying the summer gear. I can't afford to spend $100+ right now.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Sev »

sounds dangerous to me.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Coach
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by Coach »

Sevulturus wrote:sounds dangerous to me.
Huh? What sounds dangerous?

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Sev »

I had a lot of trouble getting the pic to upload so instead I'll just say, I've crashed wearing regular pants... and it's been two months, i'm still trying to grow skin on my knee.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Coach
Veteran
Veteran

#9 Unread post by Coach »

That doesn't sound good. On the other hand, I crashed in heavy weight jeans and they still look almost new. I'm not a light guy either at 6' 230 lbs. Those jeans had a bit of weight on them while I was sliding. I slid about 30-40 feet in them.

Fonz
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by Fonz »

If your only issue with leathers is that they are too hot, consider buying something like Under Armour to wear underneath. Whenever I wear my JR suit I wear the Under Armour underneath and it keeps me cool. There are also lots of similar products that you could wear. Just a thought. After all, leather is the best protection, so I wouldn't give up on them so quickly just because they make you uncomfortable.