How many really do?

Iamjustifyd
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

How many really do?

#1 Unread post by Iamjustifyd »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've taken the MSF course and have been in a parking lot a few times practicing the cones, u-turns..etc, dumped it over today on a right handed u-turn :oops: New bike and getting use to it. Over and over I hear fellow riders giving the advice to new riders to take the course. How many of you guys and gals still practice? If after riding a few years...should you still hit the parking every once in a while? Just curious. How many reading this are going....Yeah, I really should but I don't.
Whatever happened...I didn't do it!!
2007 ninja 250r Sold
2004 Ninja 500R sold
2003 Bandit 600

Tower18CHI
Veteran
Veteran

#2 Unread post by Tower18CHI »

In my daily riding routine, I utilize every single skill that is taught. While I don't do figure-8s exactly, weaving around obstacles and making lane changes at slower speeds approximates that. I do U-turns when I find a parking spot on the other side of the street, etc.

So I guess no, I don't really do any formal practicing, but yes, I practice every day I ride.
2008 SV650

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I do like tower does, but, I also go to parking lots or empty streets once in a while to practice. There is always room for improvement.

fetz
Rookie
Rookie

out of the loop

#4 Unread post by fetz »

i have been off a bike for a couple of years so today when i got the bike home went to a local school where i took the course in the first place and it has all the markings for the course took the honda v65 and me through all the fundamentals again and nice knowing what i can and can't do with this bike and its breaking distance excetra
be safe have fun

fetz

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#5 Unread post by Skier »

Yes, many proficient riders practice. I practice maximum braking once a week or so - it's nice having roads with great sight distances and little traffic.

Slow speed maneuvers are used quite often when I park the bike. It looks and feels good to not have to put your feet down until you're in your parking space.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#6 Unread post by dean owens »

i took it last year and i still practice. the box was a stunner for me. and now i ride an 83 gl650 which is a little over 600 lbs. i practice u-turns all the time. i'm still horrible at them. i'm getting better. but yeah, i still practice. and i practice my quick stops as well.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I do the parking lot thing now and again (although I'm still pretty new anyway, been riding for about a year and a half). I find it kinda fun anyway, and it gives me something to be better than my riding buddies at. I might be slow in the twisties, but I kick butt at U-turns.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#8 Unread post by Brackstone »

I'll admit I don't go to parking lots and practice but I DO practice on my daily ride and I try to make challenges for myself.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#9 Unread post by ceemes »

Everyday............................my daily commute almost demands its.
Always ask why.

CharleyM3
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#10 Unread post by CharleyM3 »

Yes. After a very long time of *not* practicing, I go out now about ever other week. I practice maximum effort stops, swerves, and low speed turns.
Friday on my way home, someone pulled out in front of me. There wasn't enough space to stop and I had a car in the lane beside me. I hit the brakes hard to let the car go by then swerved behind the car and back infront of the truck that pulled out in front of me. I'm lucky that the car beside me maintained speed. He he had braked too, I would have had no where to go.
I will keep practicing too. Those skills have to be kept up for when you need them.
Regards,
Charley.
When the need is great enough, limitations are meaningless.