Why won't reviews list mpg?

wmg1299
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Why won't reviews list mpg?

#1 Unread post by wmg1299 »

It has become clear that mpg is a huge factor in most consumer's decisions to purchase a new vehicle. That's why I am getting very frustrated that almost none of the major motorcycle magazines will bother to list an mpg or mpg range in their reviews. I am considering purchasing a new bike, but the motorcycle mags seem to think I am only concerned about the 1/4 mile time and time it takes to get to the maximum speed.
I do not care about 80% of the stats listed on motorcycle reviews. I will not be using the bike at the track, I do not ride over 85 mph, and the endless measurements mean nothing to me until I have sat on the bike to learn how it feels with me on it. In other words, foot peg, seat, and bar positioning mean 10 times more to me that wheelbase and seat height.
I want, and can afford a new bike, but I want to get the best mpg to performance ratio possible, and would like to get over 50 mpg on my next bike. The mags just aren't helping me in this respect. Does anyone else find this bothersome, or do most of you actually find these endless track-based stats to be helpful?
Current Ride: 08 HD Nightster
Just Added: 02 Ducati 750 Sport

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#2 Unread post by Brackstone »

Because most of the time it's no fun to ride a bike while trying to get the best mileage!

If I got a Demo anything I'd ride it like I was stealing it!
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

the_sandman_454
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by the_sandman_454 »

MPG is boring. Acceleration is fun. Cornering is fun. Bikes are meant to be fun, if you want MPG get a scooter... :twisted: jk

I think you'll gradually see reviews include mileage, but it still won't be for a while, since many people don't care so much about the mileage as they do about the power and handling.

They have a MPG guide here on this site to help you maybe choose based on that.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#4 Unread post by dr_bar »

Well, if it's good enough for the LA Times, it should be good enough for you... :mrgreen: :laughing:

Total Motorcycle Fuel Economy Guide

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#5 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Fuel economy is also important to me....as is insurance cost.

The magazine just wants to sell magazines...so often it's all about the glamour.....

You can probably find the info you need on the net....in fact...click on the link in the post above.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by HYPERR »

This is news to me. Most bike rags lists mpg and have been as long as I can remember.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

wmg1299
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by wmg1299 »

HYPERR wrote:This is news to me. Most bike rags lists mpg and have been as long as I can remember.
From my experience, Motorcyclist will list an mpg range in it's full reviews only, but the vast majority of their features are listed as "First Rides". IMO, if they had enough ride time to rate the performance, then they had enough to give a ballpark mpg.
Cycle World occassionaly lists the mpg, but also considers most of their features involving new models to be "previews", which also usually do not mention mpg.
MCN will always list an mpg range, but they review only a small number of bikes.
I'm not saying that I'm not concerned about performance, but I use my bikes for everyday transportation and am much more concerned about overall costs than I am about anything having to do with the racetrack.
I'll even concede that this info may be important when purchasing a sportbike, but I don't see why the same race-oriented stats are printed in reviews for cruisers and touring bikes.
Current Ride: 08 HD Nightster
Just Added: 02 Ducati 750 Sport

matthew5656
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda VTR

#8 Unread post by matthew5656 »

My take on your standard vehicle's mile per gallon...

SUVs: Sell your home and file bankruptcy. MPG= Death

Cars: Try to ignore the petrol stations as you pass, life is too short to get upset. MPG= Crap

Motor Bike: Better mileage, less gas, more fun. MPG= Fair

Bicycle: Better exercise, with an ability to laugh and poke fun at the majority spending a lot of their paycheck on black gold. MPG= Best

baltimorebayside
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by baltimorebayside »

I have a 2008 C50T and I get just a tad under 54 mpg.....I have less than 2,000 miles on the clock and I drive around 55 to 65 mph.....

dan
2008 Suzuki C50T

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#10 Unread post by ofblong »

blues2cruise wrote:Fuel economy is also important to me....as is insurance cost.

The magazine just wants to sell magazines...so often it's all about the glamour.....

You can probably find the info you need on the net....in fact...click on the link in the post above.
looking at the fuel guide my bike isnt listed yet I gave my info on that thread.

wonder if its because I was the only one with that type of bike????

Either way I have a honda shadow deluxe vlx 1996 and get 55mpg continuously on city/county roads and I drive 60mph.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]