Buying my first bike...maybe a Harley?

RaoulDuke
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Buying my first bike...maybe a Harley?

#1 Unread post by RaoulDuke »

Hello all:

Forgive me for the long post; I promise there's a question at the end...

At 39, I'm Better-Late-Than-Never to the riding scene. I've registered for Rider's Edge; my first class is on August 21. To say I'm excited is an understatement. It probably goes without saying that I will soon buy my first bike.

To be blunt, I want a Harley (in a big way), but my finances can't take (at this time) the prices that most Harleys are fetching. I'm probably going to get a 750 Shadow or something to learn on, and save my pennies for a used Dyna or Softail later on down the line.

Now, that said, I see that there are some Harleys out there that can be had for under 5K. These are mostly older Sporsters (which I'm not opposed to), and even some older Dynas available for around 8K. If I could find something used at a dealer where I could finance it, I might be swayed that way.

I know I should probably get a beater that I don't mind laying down to learn on, but if the right Harley comes along, I may not be able to pass it up.

My question(s): are there any models and or years that I should be wary of? Any other "good things to know" as I dive into the world of used Harleys? Any other insight you can offer to a first-time buyer?

Thanks! I really appreciate any and all advice...

--Anthony

P.S. I've read the Motorcycle Evaluation Guide over at http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html, so I don't really need general buying info - just info on Harleys.
2002 Dyna Wide Glide

----------

I hate to say this, but this place is getting to me. I think I'm getting the fear. --H.S. Thompson

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: Buying my first bike...maybe a Harley?

#2 Unread post by jonnythan »

RaoulDuke wrote:Now, that said, I see that there are some Harleys out there that can be had for under 5K. These are mostly older Sporsters (which I'm not opposed to), and even some older Dynas available for around 8K. If I could find something used at a dealer where I could finance it, I might be swayed that way.
Old Sportsters are bone-rattling. Harley engines are notorious for vibration, but the rubber mounting and counterbalancing in modern Harley engines mitigates this.

The Sportster didn't have rubber mounting until 2004. Anything before that should be avoided.

But, the Sportster is a relatively heavy and top-heavy bike besides. It's easy to tip it over a little too far and drop it. I think that a smaller Shadow, Virago/V-Star, or Volusia/Boulevard, or Vulcan is a better idea. Then get the Dyna or whatever you really want later.

Speaking of Dynas, those older Dynas and FLs are usually 4-gear bikes with engines from the "bad old" AMF days that are relatively unreliable and notorious for leaking oil.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#3 Unread post by Gummiente »

jonnythan wrote:The Sportster didn't have rubber mounting until 2004. Anything before that should be avoided.

Speaking of Dynas, those older Dynas and FLs are usually 4-gear bikes with engines from the "bad old" AMF days that are relatively unreliable and notorious for leaking oil.
*sigh*... There is nothing wrong with pre-rubber mount Sportsters other than more vibration as compared to the newer ones. And the AMF era was from '69 to '81; the timeframe where Harley earned its undeserved bad reutation for the Shovelhead big twins and Ironhead Sportsters. The Dyna series commenced production in '91, long after the company bought itself out from under the AMF banner and retooled for better quality and reliability, which included revamping the engine design to the EVO motor (which evolved into the TC - Twin Cam).
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#4 Unread post by jonnythan »

Gummiente wrote:
jonnythan wrote:The Sportster didn't have rubber mounting until 2004. Anything before that should be avoided.

*sigh*... There is nothing wrong with pre-rubber mount Sportsters other than more vibration as compared to the newer ones. And the AMF era was from '69 to '81; the timeframe where Harley earned its undeserved bad reutation for the Shovelhead big twins and Ironhead Sportsters. The Dyna series commenced production in '91, long after the company bought itself out from under the AMF banner and retooled for better quality and reliability, which included revamping the engine design to the EVO motor (which evolved into the TC - Twin Cam).
I've ridden one. I liked it, but I certainly wouldn't want to ride it every day.

Thanks for the correction about the Dyna name though, I had forgotten that. There are a fair number of older Harleys on Craigslist and such that aren't Dynas, but look like Dynas and are often advertised as Dynas.

I'm no Harley basher. I want to buy a modern EFI Dyna myself in a couple of years :)
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#5 Unread post by Social Distortion »

harley dealers are always having demo days
check out the new ones and see if you can compare the new ones to the olders ones and go from there
wont cost ya nothing to demo a Harley at the stealership...though they may pressure you to buy....
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#6 Unread post by Gummiente »

jonnythan wrote:I'm no Harley basher.
I know, I was just helping you "talk the talk" when it comes to Harley history. :rockon:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

FlysWithEagles
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by FlysWithEagles »

I've been riding sportbikes most of my days. But I have saddled up on a few badass cruisers.

If I was to get a Harley it'd be the Sportster 1200 Nightster. Can't beat the all black paint scheme and it's one of the more reasonably priced new Harley's I looked at. Granted, I don't know much about Harley's. And if it's your first bike, a 1200cc bike might be a little too much power.
My Bike:
[img]http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k326/FurbyBoobs/gsxr-1.jpg[/img]

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#8 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

RaoulDuke,

If you've never ridden a motorcycle before I wouldn't be quick to jump on something too expensive that will inevitable have a high chance of being dropped a couple times the first season. There are reasonably priced Honda rebel 250's for under 1500$ and less out there. I seen one up close last week and it appears to be of substancial size for only being a 250cc.

Taking a MSC is a great idea and a step in the right direction. It doesn't guarantee 100% that riding a motorcycle will be trouble free. It takes time to not have to look down at your feet every time you shift, or not to whack the wick out of a whole shot that has sand/gravel on it. And other potential situations that can happen.

RaoulDuke
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by RaoulDuke »

Thanks for all the input, folks. Yeah, I'm probably going to get a smaller bike (600-750...250s are just a tad small; I'm a big guy) until I get some miles behind me, then pick up a Nightster or Dyna.

Thanks again...

--Ant.
2002 Dyna Wide Glide

----------

I hate to say this, but this place is getting to me. I think I'm getting the fear. --H.S. Thompson

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#10 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

Forget the Sportster if your a big Bloke.
They look good & go good but they tend to be in their element in the Burbs (Or city) which I imagine you won't want to be in much if your a newbie rider.

My suggestion is, ride the Shadow for a while or whatever you get & then consider a second hand Roadking - 2000 model & up - (way more suited to the bigger man) Why?....because that model is the best 'all round' machine H-D make. It will last you for years without having to up-grade from a relatively small Dyna (Unless you get a Wideglide) Also the Roadking has superior suspension than the dyna models & this makes for a more comfy ride on the HWY.