Yes Virgina, they really are trying to kill you.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Yes Virgina, they really are trying to kill you.

#1 Unread post by ceemes »

Had an interesting commute into work today, actually surprised I survived it to be honest.

First off, a bunch of birds took from the concrete barrier that separates the lanes on Highway 17 right in front of me as I was doing about 120 kph. One of them flew right in front of my path and I could of sworn I was going to hit it square on my chest. Braced for the impact and it disappeared, no idea where it went, but it missed me and the bike. Oh well, figured that was my close call for the day.

Wrong, I had just merged out of the HOV lane northbound on Highway 99 just before the Deas Island Tunnel (yeah I know it is now called the George Massey Tunnel, but it was still the Deas Island Tunnel when I started driving) and had some nimrod in a red 1 Ton van change from the inside lane into my lane. Had to brake heavily and swerve onto the shoulder to avoid getting creamed. Had he done that half a minute later, I would off probably gone for a swim in the Deas Slough.

Anyways, I follow behind this joker and he take the same exit ramp onto Steveston Highway where we catch a red. So I dismount, walk up to the drivers door and find a young guy chatting away on his f'ing cell phone. Gave him a blast (verbally) and went back to my bike. Just as I about to restart my engine, the fiftyish woman behind me in a white SUV who watched my remount the bike, decided to go and rear ended me. Not that hard fortunately, just enough to send me forward a few feet and caused no damaged to the me or the bike. So had a few words with her as well.

Sad thing is, whites here are always going on about how bad drivers minorities are, usually singling out Asian and East Indians, the two idiot that tried to take me out today......both white.

So yes Virgina, they really are out there trying to kill you and they come in all sizes, ages, genders and colours.
Always ask why.

FlysWithEagles
Regular
Regular

#2 Unread post by FlysWithEagles »

One of them flew right in front of my path and I could of sworn I was going to hit it square on my chest. Braced for the impact and it disappeared, no idea where it went, but it missed me and the bike. Oh well, figured that was my close call for the day
I know of these birds. I like to call them Kamakazi Birds. I honestly think the little bastards sit up in a tree or in tall grass and say to their bird friends...

"Hey, I bet I could fly in front of that bike and not get hit." 8)
Last edited by FlysWithEagles on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Bike:
[img]http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k326/FurbyBoobs/gsxr-1.jpg[/img]

FlysWithEagles
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by FlysWithEagles »

By the way, nice to hear you're ok.
My Bike:
[img]http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k326/FurbyBoobs/gsxr-1.jpg[/img]

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Yes Virgina, they really are trying to kill you.

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

ceemes wrote:Had an interesting commute into work today, actually surprised I survived it to be honest.................

So yes Virgina, they really are out there trying to kill you and they come in all sizes, ages, genders and colours.
It's kinda interesting, I have more trouble with the afternoon commute than the morning. In the morning they're all zombied out, ambling along like cattle, drooling on their chins. But there's a kind of ruthlessness in the afternoon..... they'd run over their own grandmother to get home, let alone some poor schmuck on a motorcycle.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#5 Unread post by Gummiente »

Ceemes, you're making me very happy that I didn't move out to BC.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#6 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Damned dirty cagers!

Afternoons are definitely worse - the NHTSA statistics bear that out.

I was recording all my commutes for a while. Then I discovered that I was making the most boring footage in the world... in the morning.

Afternoons - yesterday I had two goons try to kill me at the base of the GWB. One guy sneaking over in front of me, then in front of the car in the lane to the left of me... And he slows down causing the guy behind him to go in to my lane without looking to get by.

I beeped, it was an enclosed area - it actually sounded respectable.. The jaguar guy heard it and I managed to not get run off the bridge in to the Hudson .... Or worse on to NYC just before the Hudson.

Best of all I've got video and I'll have to edit it sometime and put it online. It really wasn't all that bad, except that I was still shaking my head about the one guy when the other one went in to my lane.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

olebiker
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by olebiker »

Gummiente wrote:Ceemes, you're making me very happy that I didn't move out to BC.
Happens here too. Yesterday in fact on the 401. But I did not get rear ended. It is getting worse. And yes this was the evening home time rush.

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#8 Unread post by follow »

RhadamYgg,
where did you put it online or have you done it yet? I would like to see. :shock:
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#9 Unread post by koji52 »

RhadamYgg wrote:Damned dirty cagers!

Afternoons are definitely worse - the NHTSA statistics bear that out.

I was recording all my commutes for a while. Then I discovered that I was making the most boring footage in the world... in the morning.

Afternoons - yesterday I had two goons try to kill me at the base of the GWB. One guy sneaking over in front of me, then in front of the car in the lane to the left of me... And he slows down causing the guy behind him to go in to my lane without looking to get by.

I beeped, it was an enclosed area - it actually sounded respectable.. The jaguar guy heard it and I managed to not get run off the bridge in to the Hudson .... Or worse on to NYC just before the Hudson.

Best of all I've got video and I'll have to edit it sometime and put it online. It really wasn't all that bad, except that I was still shaking my head about the one guy when the other one went in to my lane.

RhadamYgg
Dude, I have all the respect in the world for your riding ability. The GWB is scary as hell even in a car.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#10 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

FOLLOW wrote:RhadamYgg,
where did you put it online or have you done it yet? I would like to see. :shock:
Youtube only allows 10 minute vids... So, for now all my vids are on my poor laptop and an 8GB SD card.

When I get the chance I'll get the top 10 bad things that happened and make a new vid.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009