riding mechanics

cpt1124
Rookie
Rookie

riding mechanics

#1 Unread post by cpt1124 »

Hi, I am a relatively new rider. For the past few months I havee been learning the basics and riding around the town I live in. The bike have been riding is a 65 harley owned by my dad. I have the $$$ now to buy my own bike and have some questions
The harley was more then large enough for my frame, I however am looking for some more performance minded riding. I am seriously pursuing a zxr 1200, at 6'4 225lbs I am not sure how the rididng position and comfort on a bike such as this will be. Any input and ideas would be great so I can make an informed descion b4 buying.

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#2 Unread post by TechTMW »

You should be just fine on a bike like this in terms of comfort.

However, 122 Base Horsepower is a helluva lot of bike to be stepping up to from your dad's 40ish horsepower Harley. Even if his bike has a rodded out engine, the Inline four on the ZRX will knock your socks off. In addition, the ZRX is going to have a much different feel both in weight and handling from your dad's Panhead (or was it a shovelhead by '65?) :confused:

Anyway. Pairing these factors with the relative newness you have to biking in general, I think you would be better advised to steer clear of the zrx1200 for now. The standard bike style is a Great all around, do-everything bike, but it is quite different from the cruiser you have been getting used to. Why not look for another cheap standard to get more of a solid foundation before stepping up to the big leagues so soon?

Some bikes you might consider - Suzuki SV650, Triumph Bonneville, Honda Nighthawk 750/650, Yamaha Seca, Seca II, 80's Suzuki GS series, Katana 600, etc...
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Sev »

TechBMW wrote:You should be just fine on a bike like this in terms of comfort.

However, 122 Base Horsepower is a helluva lot of bike to be stepping up to from your dad's 40ish horsepower Harley. Even if his bike has a rodded out engine, the Inline four on the ZRX will knock your socks off. In addition, the ZRX is going to have a much different feel both in weight and handling from your dad's Panhead (or was it a shovelhead by '65?) :confused:

Anyway. Pairing these factors with the relative newness you have to biking in general, I think you would be better advised to steer clear of the zrx1200 for now. The standard bike style is a Great all around, do-everything bike, but it is quite different from the cruiser you have been getting used to. Why not look for another cheap standard to get more of a solid foundation before stepping up to the big leagues so soon?

Some bikes you might consider - Suzuki SV650, Triumph Bonneville, Honda Nighthawk 750/650, Yamaha Seca, Seca II, 80's Suzuki GS series, Katana 600, etc...
I'm inclined to agree. I went from a LS650 (cruiser) to a Honda 599, and it just blew me away. I had to learn to ride all over again, because the inputs that I used to make produced WAY exagerated effects on the 599.

They are two totally different beasts, and it might not be a bad idea to exercise some caution leading into a new bike.
I didn't REALLY like the SV650, but it's a good bike, but everything said above is a good choice. Find the most comfortable one and go for it.

Best of luck.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

cpt1124
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by cpt1124 »

thanks fellas for the replies on my choice coming up in the future. Seeing as I am so wet behind the ears in this glorious thing called motorcycling I am inclined to follow youre advice on bike selection..... but (uuttoohh) My father is a very experienced rider and will be with me every step of the way even after the purchase of a new bike. Also I am not one of these cocky mentally challenged 20 yo's who is gonna take a bike out alone and stomp the throttle the first time I have the chance. I understand the restraint and paitence I need to have to become a good biker and live long enough for it to matter. Plus my finacial situation forces me to purchase my dream ride by summer or not at all. This is not to say that this advice will not be in my mind throughout the whole process of purchase. thanks fellas

Coach
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by Coach »

Take all but $1000 of them money you have saved up and invest it in a 2 year CD at the bank. That will secure the financial means you have now. Then, take that $1000 you don't invest and buy a mid-80's Suzuki GS750 or something similar. Ride it for the next 2 years, then, when that CD matures, go buy your dream bike.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#6 Unread post by Gummiente »

TechBMW wrote:Anyway. Pairing these factors with the relative newness you have to biking in general, I think you would be better advised to steer clear of the zrx1200 for now. The standard bike style is a Great all around, do-everything bike, but it is quite different from the cruiser you have been getting used to. Why not look for another cheap standard to get more of a solid foundation before stepping up to the big leagues so soon?
What Tech said! Except that because you're 6'4", I'd delete the SV-650 and Triumph Bonneville from your list... ever hear the expression "looks like a circus bear on a moped" before? :)
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

gregor7777
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by gregor7777 »

Coach wrote:Take all but $1000 of them money you have saved up and invest it in a 2 year CD at the bank. That will secure the financial means you have now. Then, take that $1000 you don't invest and buy a mid-80's Suzuki GS750 or something similar. Ride it for the next 2 years, then, when that CD matures, go buy your dream bike.
Sound advice

Itzamna
Legendary
Legendary

#8 Unread post by Itzamna »

Gummiente wrote:What Tech said! Except that because you're 6'4", I'd delete the SV-650 and Triumph Bonneville from your list... ever hear the expression "looks like a circus bear on a moped" before? :)
I ride an SV1000 and am 6'4" and it is perfectly fine for my size. It's not any bigger than the 650 either.
Brian

'03 Suzuki SV1000

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#9 Unread post by Gummiente »

Itzamna wrote:I ride an SV1000 and am 6'4" and it is perfectly fine for my size. It's not any bigger than the 650 either.
The lady who let me ride her SV650 is 5'4" and it fit her just right. I got on it and looked down.... right back into the front of the headlight. :shock: The bike was physically too small for me. But I'm not exactly, um, "fit" shall we say, so part of the awkwardness I felt no doubt was due to my size.

A co-worker has a TL1000, that is similar to the bigger SV, right? I found that one fit me much better.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Coach
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by Coach »

gregor7777 wrote:
Coach wrote:Take all but $1000 of them money you have saved up and invest it in a 2 year CD at the bank. That will secure the financial means you have now. Then, take that $1000 you don't invest and buy a mid-80's Suzuki GS750 or something similar. Ride it for the next 2 years, then, when that CD matures, go buy your dream bike.
Sound advice
Thanks. To an extent, that's what I did. I spent $600 on my 85 Suzuki GS450. Rode it for a year and about 3,ooo miles. Sold it in March for $700. Took that and put a little more money in and bought the Vulcan 800 I have now. Very glad I started on that older, smaller bike. Plus, it gave me the means to ride while saving for a better bike that fit what I wanted more.
As for the dream bike - A) I'm not sure anyone can really know what that would even be with only a short time riding, B) even if I knew what it was, I couldn't afford it now anyway, and C) it will probably be bigger than I want to attempt handling until I've got more time on the road. For now, I like my Vulcan and I'm loading up the miles. I spent 3 months using to commute 100 miles every day. I'm back to working from home, but I still take it anytime I go out without the wife and kids.