Just got a new Honda shadow and am afraid to ride it!!!

widmn
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Just got a new Honda shadow and am afraid to ride it!!!

#1 Unread post by widmn »

On my road that is. My road is gravel and dirt leading to my house. We live out in the country in Nevada. The road is about 1/2 mile from the blacktop highway. I am afraid of 2 things.
1. Gravel and rocks being kicked up even at slow speed and scratching the new paint.
2. Sliding out and dropping it and scratching the bike. I don't care if I get hurt!!!LOL Just the bike!!!!

What should I do? I am a new rider and haven't had a chance to take the MSF course yet.
www.southernblades.com

02custominfl
Regular
Regular

#2 Unread post by 02custominfl »

If I were you I'd take the MSF first. Not that you'll be dirt riding in it or anything, but dump one of their bikes instead of yours. Even on pavement, the experience and the feel of the bike will help a little. One thing I learned about dirt and gravel is that you can't try to fight the bike. If it catches a rut to the left or right, go with it if you can. If you freak out and try to get out of it you will most likely over-correct yourself and have problems.

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

Re: Just got a new Honda shadow and am afraid to ride it!!!

#3 Unread post by Thumper »

widmn wrote:What should I do? I am a new rider and haven't had a chance to take the MSF course yet.
Honestly, you should park the bike until after you've completed the course. Drop your risk factor by 80%* before risking screwing up your new toy and your life...

*Pulled this out of my backside, but it sounds about right in my head...

Monkey
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by Monkey »

agreed on the MSF suggestions. I just took the course and have logged 200 miles on my own bike and I will tell you this much, your fears about gravel and sand are not unfounded.

I was out riding on Saturday and did a very slow, wobbly beginner, turn over sand. I had seen the sand that is why i was going so slow and I let go of brakes before i got to it. However, both my tires skidded a bit and there i got squirrely. I let the bike follow its course, thinking that at 10 mph, with a patch of sand that small...i would eventually clear and then be better able to correct the bike. Very scary but as soon as i cleared it...it was all over and i didnt drop my bike.
I always keep it real and call no man mister

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: Just got a new Honda shadow and am afraid to ride it!!!

#5 Unread post by Shorts »

widmn wrote:I am a new rider and haven't had a chance to take the MSF course yet.

There's your answer.

Park your bike, take the course, then go out once you've been taught the basics.

widmn
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by widmn »

I will take your advice. There are no slots in the course until the first week in Oct. I will polish the bike until then. Will probably be too cold to ride until spring. Thanks for the great advice.
www.southernblades.com

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Shorts »

widmn wrote:I will take your advice. There are no slots in the course until the first week in Oct. I will polish the bike until then. Will probably be too cold to ride until spring. Thanks for the great advice.

While you have a little time, now's a chance to read through some of the preferred rider's books, like the Proficient Motorcycling books by David Hough. There is a lot of practical experiences and tips on navigating the large variety of scenarios a rider WILL face. I think most folks here on the board have a copy or two in their personal libraries. Gets the brain in the ride mode for riding.

Lisa
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by Lisa »

pick up a beater bike that you aren't afraid to scratch

dweiss
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2009 QLink LG250

#9 Unread post by dweiss »

I want to state up-front that I am in no way encouraging you to ride your bike on your gravel road this very minute....

Now, with that being said...

I have only twelve hundred miles under my belt. I have a Honda 450. I have taken the DMV skills test, and have my full MC endorcement on my licence. I have only rode my bike to-and-from-work (80 miles round-trip) on surface streets (I have not gone on the freeway yet because the average driver speed here is 72 MPH...and that is considered slow).

The stable where I board my horses has a half-mile long driveway that is pea gravel/sand and 1/4 inch midas rock, and has multiple bends, both left and right, in it. It is rutted and just nasty...even in my Nissan Frontier it feels rough. But there was that day that I happen to be on my bike, and was called to the stable on an emergency...so I went. I learned the following that day:

(1) Leave your feet on the pegs.
(2) Ride slow (but not TOO slow) and cautious, and try to use the track of the previous vehicle.
(3) Look roughly fifteen feet ahead of you and not down or directly in front of your bike. It is the same rule I use for riding horses, and it works.
(4) Give up the death grip on the handlebars.
(5) Relax your hips.

I came and went from the stable without a hitch, and I have since taken my bike to the stable two more times, just because I didn't want to take my truck (beautiful weather). I now have a HEALTHY respect for gravel/sand/rutted roads, but I am no longer TERRIFIED of them.

That being said, take the MSF course, borrow someone's dirt bike or buy a cheap dirt bike, and practice on your driveway. But, no matter what, that first time on the Shadow will be intimitating. Just take a deep breath and RELAX...know that you are not the first to have rode your bike on that type of surface, and that you CAN do it.
Debbie Weiss
www.superstitionranch.com
"I don't own my horses, they own me. It is a relationship that I have no plans of changing".

Proud owner of a 2009 QLink LG250
Past owner of a 1982 Honda CM450A

atabularasa
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by atabularasa »

This sounds familiar to me. I also live in the country where my driveway is a long 30% decline. When I first got my Shadow it was much bigger, heavier and bulky, so I was a little nervous about ruining the bike until I learned about the 3/4 inch O gravel. When compacted it is almost like asphalt.

Good luck and yes, I agree with the others about getting some training.
Mental health is over rated
2007 Shadow VT1100C2