Trouble shifting

cduryea
Rookie
Rookie

Trouble shifting

#1 Unread post by cduryea » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:54 pm

I have a 2004 Honda Rebel 250. When I turn the bike on and start riding (in the morning) the bike shifts smoothly. When the bike starts getting to operating temperature I have trouble shifting both up and down. I have no idea what that means, its a vague description I know but I don't know what else to say. Maybe its the clutch? Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Sev » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:02 pm

How many miles are on the bike??? And when was it last serviced? I'll bet that an oil change and adjustment of the clutch cable would resolve your issues.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

cduryea
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by cduryea » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:08 am

The bike has 14400 miles on it. I recently changed the oil (like a month and a half ago). The clutch adjustment makes sense. Is it something that has to be done by a mechanic or is it an easy DIY project?

Lisa
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by Lisa » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:34 am

should be as easy as turning a barrel adjuster. also learn the movements of clutchless shifting, i find even if i use the clutch and do the movements for clutchless shifting the shifts are smoother.

cduryea
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by cduryea » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:53 am

Well I'll take that into consideration. Is there any other reason why the bike would behave the way it is?

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#6 Unread post by JC Viper » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:11 am

You owners manual should cover how to adjust the clutch cable, if not there should be an adjuster next to the clutch lever. Usually the slack in the cable should be about 2mm so when you pull in the clutch lever lightly there shouldn't be too much slack.

There may also be another adjuster on the engine where the clutch cable connects to the clutch. If there is one this is only adjusted when the one on the lever cannot be adjusted any more.

The clutch cable adjustment is easy to do on bikes with a regular clutch cable. Plus it may be best to lubricate the cable as well. This isn't too difficult to do but it is made easier when using a pressure lube tool... I forgot what it's called but it is a rectangular block that goes on the disconnected cable end and you insert the straw that's connected to the can of lube and you spray. This is then pushed down to the other end of the cable.

If you are unsure of how to do this then go to the mechanic and have them lube the clutch and throttle cables and have them adjust the clutch cable. When was the last major service on that bike? 14,000 miles means some stuff may need checking like bearings and spokes (depending on how old the bike is).
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.