sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#21 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Brackstone wrote:
fireguzzi wrote: Because, when it is someone you care about, like his sister, you gotta do what you can. You gotta try.
Well that's my point, he tried and it didn't work. That's why I suggested just plain out not speaking to her. If she realizes he's willing to go to those lengths maybe THAT will open her eyes.

I don't recall ever seeing anyone even on here being talked out of buying a 600cc bike if it didn't happen in their first few posts. I believe the same is true for people outside of the forum.

All of my friends started out on 600cc bikes and they are fine some of their friends, however, are dead. I'm glad I took the slow way but some people are just going to do what they want to do.

I'm just a simplifier I guess, I try not to let things I don't have control over get to me.
I think there is a lot of truth in what you are saying Brackstone. In the end you have to let people make their own mistakes if they are determined to do so.

But I'd hate to see a world where people just stopped caring - or started pretending not to. You've got to keep trying when faced with something like this. You've got to hope that you can do something, no matter how unlikely you think it is. The only question is how to go about it. We all have our own strategies and beliefs.

I just heard today that someone I know was killed on his R1 when a minubus backed out of a drive and ran straight into him. What can you say? You care because you do.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#22 Unread post by Brackstone »

sv-wolf wrote:
Brackstone wrote:
fireguzzi wrote: Because, when it is someone you care about, like his sister, you gotta do what you can. You gotta try.
Well that's my point, he tried and it didn't work. That's why I suggested just plain out not speaking to her. If she realizes he's willing to go to those lengths maybe THAT will open her eyes.

I don't recall ever seeing anyone even on here being talked out of buying a 600cc bike if it didn't happen in their first few posts. I believe the same is true for people outside of the forum.

All of my friends started out on 600cc bikes and they are fine some of their friends, however, are dead. I'm glad I took the slow way but some people are just going to do what they want to do.

I'm just a simplifier I guess, I try not to let things I don't have control over get to me.
I think there is a lot of truth in what you are saying Brackstone. In the end you have to let people make their own mistakes if they are determined to do so.

But I'd hate to see a world where people just stopped caring - or started pretending not to. You've got to keep trying when faced with something like this. You've got to hope that you can do something, no matter how unlikely you think it is. The only question is how to go about it. We all have our own strategies and beliefs.

I just heard today that someone I know was killed on his R1 when a minubus backed out of a drive and ran straight into him. What can you say? You care because you do.
I agree well said.

I don't think it's the perfect strategy for everyone, and I won't poo poo on anyone that wants to keep trying to change someones mind. But for me I think it's a problem of caring too much too early and now I'm just kind of burnt out.

So I guess my message isn't exactly don't care, but throttle your care because your care tank can run empty.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#23 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Lisa wrote:if she likes the look of the CBR 600, there's not smaller CBRs that look similar?

In ontario the big hit against such machines is insurance. it's not unheard of for a new rider to be looking at 4000 a year when under 25
Ahhhh, How I wish there were smaller CBRs available in the USA...

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

RC Fan
Elite
Elite

#24 Unread post by RC Fan »

I see a lot of women riding CBR600RR's. It is a nice light bike, which is appealing for short people such as myself. I can't really disagree with your sister as I myself am wanting a GSX-R600 or 750.
Cathy

First bike: 2007 Bandit 650S
Current bike: 2009 Ducati Monster 696

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#25 Unread post by Wrider »

RC Fan wrote:I see a lot of women riding CBR600RR's. It is a nice light bike, which is appealing for short people such as myself. I can't really disagree with your sister as I myself am wanting a GSX-R600 or 750.
But you have previous experience. She wants one as a FIRST bike... No dirtbike experience, no streetbike experience, nothing... That's my whole problem with it. As a second or third, have at it, but I don't like her wanting one as a first bike.
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

RC Fan
Elite
Elite

#26 Unread post by RC Fan »

Wrider wrote:But you have previous experience. She wants one as a FIRST bike... No dirtbike experience, no streetbike experience, nothing... That's my whole problem with it. As a second or third, have at it, but I don't like her wanting one as a first bike.
Wrider
Yeah, I hear ya. I didn't make a great choice with my first bike either.
Cathy

First bike: 2007 Bandit 650S
Current bike: 2009 Ducati Monster 696

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#27 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

Useful post here :P

Had a bit of a look around, seems the main restrictor manufacturer is a German company http://www.alphatechnik.de/

It seems that the sole UK importer for them is FI International http://www.fiinternational.com/ShowDeta ... type=Honda

Now FI International only appear to take trade customers (business supplier not individuals) but as there are no restrictions where you are, you may be able to sweet talk them a 1 time deal, given you don't need a certification to say the restrictor has been correctly fitted to be licensed to ride it. Alternatively you may be able to to get a local (to you) garage to register with them and order

So there you go, 2 leads to follow (well 1 lead if you can't muddle through German)

just for info, I suspect the german website will likely refer to Kilowatts rather than bhp (didn't check). If so, 33.5 BHP is about 25 KW

Edit, just for info, I'm not sure if the restrictor for that bike, might be a air intake restrictor plate, or a replacement CDI unit/mapping. I'm guessing it won't be a carb spacer, as I think the cbr600rr is Fuel Injected
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#28 Unread post by Wrider »

Thanks Nibblet! I'll definitely try to contact them when my sister decides she's gotta have that bike. If nothing else I can probably get a UK dealer to send a kit to me so I can install it!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha