What are the chances of recovering a stolen bike?!

gsus
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

What are the chances of recovering a stolen bike?!

#1 Unread post by gsus »

I just found out that my friends 2007 White Honda CBR600RR was stolen last week Tuesday. I have yet to get all of the details from him since I actually just found out from another friend, I called to confirm the story though.
Obviously if anyone runs across a bike that is similar to my friends bike (picture above) please let me know. The bike was stolen in the north Chicago-land suburbs (I'll get an exact location later). The bike had the rear fender removed and a custom led taillight bar was installed along with LED blinkers. The bike still had a factory exhaust, so the heatshields are exposed. I installed blue LED's on his gauge cluster, so the majority of the gauge cluster now illuminates blue, but there is a small section that still illuminates orange. He had also installed blue LED accent lights, which only activate via remote. There was an "X" mark on the pillion seat and the bike had white tape on the wheels. Aside from that, the bike was mostly stock.

I do wonder what the chances of recovering any stolen bike is? Are all bikes stolen to tear apart and sell or if they just joy ride on them and then dump them somewhere? This really blows since my friend really loved the bike.[/img]

Flesher
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by Flesher »

That bike is likely parted out by now .... chance of recovery is slim to none. :cry:

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#3 Unread post by Gadjet »

hate to say it, but I agree with Flesher; the bike will have been stripped by now. Check ebay and other online auction/sale sites - you mind find some of the parts listed.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

Ivan M
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by Ivan M »

How are bikes usually stolen? Thrown into a truck or van?
I'm selling my 2004 Suz Volusia in Van for 4500. Check out my ad.

DustyJacket
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#5 Unread post by DustyJacket »

SLIM <----- your changes of getting it back -------> NONE
Bikers Against Child Abuse - Kansas City Chapter
www.bacainternational.org

Bill and Pete do the Dragon's Tail at Deal's Gap:
www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html

ChemicalTaste
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by ChemicalTaste »

Ivan M wrote:How are bikes usually stolen? Thrown into a truck or van?
Like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sn_1rggGFc

Same bike too.. not surprising since teh CBR is the lightest sport bike of its class. Easily picked up. When I got my r6, my dad (being the brute he his) said someone could just wheel it out by popping it in neutral and wheeling it out by the front forks.