How to make yourself noticed to cagers

dragonsfire23
Rookie
Rookie

How to make yourself noticed to cagers

#1 Unread post by dragonsfire23 »

Hey all,

I saw this article and thought I'd share. It lists some easy ways to make yourself more noticable on the road and I"m not sure about you guys but I need all the help I can get!

Sometimes I think car drivers are just don't even see me!

http://alivetoride.com/motorcycle_ridin ... motorcycle

Theweapon52
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Theweapon52 »

The biggest thing that stuck with me when i did my riding courses was that never assume people see you.

Even with a neon green bike and an orange helmet, some drivers don't want to take the extra time to make that shoulder check. That article had some good tips though, never can be to careful when riding in heavy traffic.

AKRefugee
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by AKRefugee »

My bike is very well lit and I have added lights both front and back but even with that I do not depend on just them. When ever I am changing lanes or turning I always use my hand signals in addition to my turn lights. A persons eyes are always drawn to movement so I don't just stick my arm out for a left turn I also kind of wiggle it up and down as well, same for a left turn. Every bit will help keep you alive and off the grill of that car behind you.
AKRefugee

Ride Happy Ride Safe

dragonsfire23
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by dragonsfire23 »

Hand signals do wonders. Especially in the city. Probably only 10% of people will actually understand what your signals mean but the main thing is that it gets them to notice you.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

dragonsfire23 wrote:Hand signals do wonders. Especially in the city. Probably only 10% of people will actually understand what your signals mean but the main thing is that it gets them to notice you.
I absolutely agree. I do hand signals for pretty nearly 100% of left turns now (in addition to the turn signal, of course). I agree it can lead clueless cagers to stop and wonder, "duhh..... why's he doing that with his arm..???" :roll:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#6 Unread post by Kal »

I reserve hand signals for conveying my opinion to motorists how have just tried to violate me.

Although not that often to be honest. I cover my brakes and clutch when riding in City traffic, especially when filtering and dislike having my hands away from the controls for any reason.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

society909
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 86 yamaha vmax 02 Suzuki vs 800

Re: How to make yourself noticed to cagers

#7 Unread post by society909 »

How do you guys do hand signals? With one hand or foot on the brake trying to slow down for the turn shouldn't both hands be on the handle bars? Remind me not to ride next to you guys. I can see it if you are stopped at a red light but even than you would have to put it in neutral to be able to take your hand off the clutch
Ride like hell you'll get there

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#8 Unread post by jstark47 »

Brakes work just fine with one hand off the bars. One road I commute on in particular, I have to make a left at an uncontrolled intersection. Brain dead zombie cagers would as soon run you over as slow down...... I reinforce my turn signal with a hand signal for left turn for a couple hundred yards before the intersection. I'm on brakes for maybe a third of that distance, don't need a hand on the bars until the downshift right before the turn. It works, people who pay no attention the bike's turn signal do notice the hand signal. People from my job who've followed me in have told me this.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#9 Unread post by flw »

First I totally agree on Always assume they never see you,

Second, always create as much space between you and cars ahead and beside you.

Third, when braking I always look behind to see if the cage behind me seems to be slowing down. If not I flash my break lights and swerve side to side to get his attention.

Forth, I always use my imagination to draw a line between where I am and where I want to go, ignoring the traffic comming the other direction. If I look at it, I'll ride closer too it.

Fifth, I avoid riding at dusk due to deer and other wildlife. Deer strikes are common in my area on cars or bikes.

Sixth, I upgraded my headlamp to flash on coming cages and wildlife.

I'm sure there is more but that's off the top of my head.

Dan
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#10 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Mohawks- yeah that's plural.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars