Another reason to wear a full-face helmet...

SCgurl
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Another reason to wear a full-face helmet...

#1 Unread post by SCgurl »

...as if most of us needed one, but I thought these videos were interesting and certainly drive the point home.

http://flickr.com/photos/roentgenator/2 ... 198404570/

http://flickr.com/photos/roentgenator/2 ... 198404570/
2008 Suzuki S40-for sale
2007 Road King-waiting until mid-May
[url=http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/?action=view&current=IMG_0051.jpg][img]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/th_IMG_0051.jpg[/img][/url]

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#2 Unread post by JC Viper »

Makes me think about Ben Rothlesburger and his accident and not wearing a helmet.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#3 Unread post by paul246 »

Makes me glad that I always wear a FF helmet. I have heard of open faced helmets allowing the rider's broken lower jaw to be pushed through the spinal cord whilst the rider kisses the rear end of a car.

BTW op, that pic of of your S40 engine... I just love the look of that thing. Nothing like a big thumper!
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

JungleJim
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by JungleJim »

Aside from the worst case, accidents there is the good possibility of road debris, stones, etc getting kicked up or even just bug splatter. I'm glad for my full face helmet when riding in South Fla bug infested summers.

Gunslinger
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006/Suzuki/SV650

#5 Unread post by Gunslinger »

I was actually shopping around for a 1/2 helmet. I think I will stick with my full face version. 8)

motorcyclinmama
Regular
Regular

#6 Unread post by motorcyclinmama »

This makes a person glad they wear a FF helmet. :wink:
You only live once!

We currently own:
Me== 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
Hubby== 2007 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT
2008 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

I have 2 beautiful sons Jason 17 and Brian 13

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#7 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

I'm a FF helmet person all the time... But it is a hard sell for those that want to ride a bike to be seen and be cool.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#8 Unread post by slimcolo »

But it is a hard sell for those that want to ride a bike to be seen and be cool.
Being cool can be far more important than wearing a FF, much more important! This summer I found this out first hand, the hard way. With de-hydration and heat exhaustion (If not staying cool progresses as far as heat stroke it can kill you) you can have severe flu like symptoms and a drunken feeling appear in less than 5 min. (thank God this didn't happen while I was still on the road but at a rally with EMTs on-site)

I now will not wear a FF if temperature is over 80F unless I also have a full hydration pack. (when above happened temp. had exceeded 110 at midday and my hydro was empty by 1PM symptoms hit me about 6:30PM, even though I had drank 6 sodas and a Red Bull since 1PM) This was another case of knowing better but thinking "It won't happen to Me" (Medication that I take and skipping lunch were also factors)
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#9 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

slimcolo wrote:
But it is a hard sell for those that want to ride a bike to be seen and be cool.
Being cool can be far more important than wearing a FF, much more important! This summer I found this out first hand, the hard way. With de-hydration and heat exhaustion (If not staying cool progresses as far as heat stroke it can kill you) you can have severe flu like symptoms and a drunken feeling appear in less than 5 min. (thank God this didn't happen while I was still on the road but at a rally with EMTs on-site)

I now will not wear a FF if temperature is over 80F unless I also have a full hydration pack. (when above happened temp. had exceeded 110 at midday and my hydro was empty by 1PM symptoms hit me about 6:30PM, even though I had drank 6 sodas and a Red Bull since 1PM) This was another case of knowing better but thinking "It won't happen to Me" (Medication that I take and skipping lunch were also factors)
That's an interesting point - as even in NJ it does get pretty hot in the summer. At the moment, I don't have a hydration pack, but I suspect this would be a good idea. Especially if I get the chance this summer to go on some longer duration rides... Oh, hell, that probably isn't going to happen.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#10 Unread post by paul246 »

slimcolo wrote:

You are joking, right??? If not, consider drinking clear water instead of further dehydrating yourself by drinking garbage.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport