First solo ride

kyle
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

First solo ride

#1 Unread post by kyle »

Had a great day off from work today!

Went to get tags for my new bike, and left the tag agency on my way to Alabama's Natural Bridge in Moulton county.

I took about 120 miles to get there, including about 20 miles through the William B. Bankhead National Forest on highway 33 south. It started raining hard when I got to Double Springs and picked up 278 west, and rained the whole time I was out in the forest at the bridge and the numerous rock overhangs, but the density of the trees only let a light sprinkle down to the forest floor.

Enjoyed the scenery for about an hour, and went to the gift shop, bought a t-shirt and... the guy running the gift shop rides, too! I didn't recognize it.. it looked like an older model bike, but if I remember right, it was a white Windjammer (?). Gathered up my stuff, put my jacket back on in the pouring rain, and started for home.

At the end of the day, I had put 216 miles behind me, and had a fabulous day of riding and sightseeing.
<i>'05 Kawasaki K750-S</i>

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#2 Unread post by poppygene »

Well done, Kyle! Sounds like a fun day's ride!

Oh... "Windjammer" is the name of an aftermarket fairing that came on the market back in the 70s. Back then, there was no such thing as a purpose-built, Japanese touring bike. Even Gold Wings came without fairings for the first several years so, if you wanted a real touring rig, you had to customize it with a Windjammer or something similar. You may see them worn by some older bikes from all the Japanese makes as you travel around, especially the larger bikes.
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

honda599
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by honda599 »

Sounds like you had a great ride.

There's nothing like taking some nice pictures and getting a chance to push your ride through some twisty turns along the way.

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#4 Unread post by Loonette »

What fun! Keep riding and enjoy.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

kyle
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by kyle »

Managed to get a postcard and a t-shirt, but I didn't have film so the camera got left at home.

Oh well, good excuse for another trip!
<i>'05 Kawasaki K750-S</i>