Removing Ballast

guscave
Regular
Regular

Removing Ballast

#1 Unread post by guscave »

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how much more "growl" or loudness can I get by removing ballast from my pipes. I have a 2007 v-star 1300 which is too quiet for my taste, but I also don't want to annoy the neighbors (not too much) :wink:

I don't have the money right now to get new pipes, and I haven't found too many 2 into 1 slip-ons that are much cheaper than a whole new exhaust system, so for now I have to take the cheapest route.

Any recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks,
2008 V- Star 1300

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by paul246 »

By "ballast" I assume you are referring to removing or modifying the baffles. IMHO, don't do it. Its the cheap and dirty method and it will sound like it, too. Your exhaust won't sound "good", it will just be loud and sound like absolute krapp. Trust me, I have seen and heard it many times.

Please wait until you can afford some decent pipes, and don't forget to store the stockers with care as you may have to reinstall them at a later date with changing regulations. Stock pipe sets are very expensive to replace once you no longer have them!
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

guscave
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by guscave »

Thanks Paul. Actually I meant baffles.. :? I'm not looking to get it "too" loud, but more of lower end sound, and yes a bit more volume. The reason I mentioned removing the baffles is because so many folks have recommended taking them off.

Wish there was a way to compare. For example how many more db do you get when they are removed.
2008 V- Star 1300

Tennif Shoe
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: VTX 1800c

#4 Unread post by Tennif Shoe »

have you checked to see how your baffels are installed? they may just be bolted in.
03 Honda VTX 1800c
87 Yamaha TT350
86 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (sold) Have fun in Mexico Mr. Vulcan!

YES my spellin sucks, get over it, or you can be my personal spell check

guscave
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by guscave »

Hi Tennif,
The bike currently has a 2 into 1 pipe which I'm not crazy about (both the sound & look).

I'll probably get slip-ons in about 4 to 6 months, but wanted to remove the baffles in the meantime.

I'm not very mechanically inclined so I'll be using a local bike mechanic to do both for me.
2008 V- Star 1300

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#6 Unread post by Johnj »

Then take it to the mechanic and let him worry about it.

BTW if it's not done right you will blow a hole in the top of the pistons.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Zagnut
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by Zagnut »

Depending on the mechanic and where you live... There's a good chance your mechanic won't modify your stock pipes due to emmissions standards and/or warranty issues. Also something to think about is when removing the baffles, you are modifying and/or eliminating the back pressure your baffles create and you may have to modify your settings and/or rejet. Some folks have have good results by drilling holes in the baffles for a nicer note to the exhaust. I frequent the vstar 1100 forums and those guys can answer just about any question and give you good advice. There is a vstar 1300 forum...you should check it out.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/OldFart1963

OK...I just looked in there after posting the link that theres hardly any posts in there... I guess due to it being such a new model and all...

Try the Vstar 1100 forum... it's for Vstar 1100's but I bet they could help you with your 1300. They dive into technical issues concerning Vstars more than folks around here will be able to. Good luck.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/yamaha1100/start

guscave
Regular
Regular

#8 Unread post by guscave »

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out.
2008 V- Star 1300

cHAosjiHAd
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by cHAosjiHAd »

BTW if it's not done right you will blow a hole in the top of the pistons.
:laughing:

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#10 Unread post by Ryethil »

guscave wrote:Hi Tennif,
The bike currently has a 2 into 1 pipe which I'm not crazy about (both the sound & look).

I'll probably get slip-ons in about 4 to 6 months, but wanted to remove the baffles in the meantime.

I'm not very mechanically inclined so I'll be using a local bike mechanic to do both for me.
IMHO, don't do it. You need back pressure to make the scavaging of the cylinder head to workd properly.

However, if you have to do some thinig, you miight try "rodding" the baffle while it is in thr pipe. This makes them more free flowing but not take away all the back pressure. It's exactly as it sounds. But it has to be done carefully...

The big problem is that a lot of communities are starting to crack down on load pipes. And when suburbinites start makeing regulations, they don't stop at some place logically. But I got an alert for several counties, esp in Florida and Virginia, I think. But who'sto know when they will stop. Just a thought and possibly a warning if you budget is that tight.
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]