moved up....to bigger bike.

btlegend
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

moved up....to bigger bike.

#1 Unread post by btlegend »

hello again, i was on here a way while back when i was just getting into ridding. i started out on a 250cc bike, a qlink legend. a off brand made bike. it was a mini cruiser i guess you could call it. sence then ive made an up grade to a much bigger and much full filling bike, my honda shadow 1100c. man i love this bike. ive become a member of a local riding club and have enjoyed numerous tours, some with the group and some on my oun. its been two years now ive been ridding, and every day i love nothing more to do than get on the road and cruise, my son even rides with me. when i grab my ridding gear and helmet he grabs his. like father like son, lol, thats cool. in the some what distant future i plan on also getting a sport touring bike, im looking at the bandit 1250, vstrom 1000, fjr, or maybe something quite not so big. but any ways its good to be bacj here amongs you guys and girls.
my therapist has two wheels, a throttle, and always has time or me...

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#2 Unread post by Brackstone »

Sounds great! Glad you are enjoying riding so much and great you can share it with your son!
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

Duffy
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by Duffy »

NICE! Hope to see some pics posted eventually.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#4 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Yeah, I'd love to see a pic of you and your son on the bike (moving or standing still). I need some ammo to work on my wife in having my son on the bike with me sometime.

congrats on a safe riding career.

How old is your son - or was he when you first took him for a ride?

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

XB08
Legendary
Legendary

Honda

#5 Unread post by XB08 »

I had a 86 1100 , it was a very good bike . It did have mid foot controls then.

Tennif Shoe
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: VTX 1800c

#6 Unread post by Tennif Shoe »

i have always liked the 1100 shadow, but my father in law has one................... and then my dad bought one so i had to get something bigger :roll:
03 Honda VTX 1800c
87 Yamaha TT350
86 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (sold) Have fun in Mexico Mr. Vulcan!

YES my spellin sucks, get over it, or you can be my personal spell check

btlegend
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by btlegend »

my son is 13, he just turned 12 when he was ridding alone with me. didnt ride eith him much on the 250, but the 1100 we ride every time we get a schance.
my therapist has two wheels, a throttle, and always has time or me...

Timmy S
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2007 Honda 919

#8 Unread post by Timmy S »

I don't have a son but my nephew has ridden pillion quite a few times and loves it. He was 14 1/2 or so when I gave him his first ride on the bike.

I made him read all the MSF class books and printed a few articles for him to read about being a passenger on the bike. I quizzed him on it too. I purchased him a helmet that he liked (G-Max crusader). He always rides AGATT like me, wearing a leather jacket, gloves, long heavy denim pants, and high top boots. He usually holds on to the passenger handhold that is on the tail cowl of the bike.

His first ride was a slow one around his neighborhood so he could get used to the leaning aspects, (for me too because the bike does handle differently and is a bit slower). There was some helmet banging even though I was being as smooth as I could, I did some U turns and other maneuvers. After he was ok and having fun we went for a 50 mile jaunt to nowhere.

On his second ride we got stuck in a tremendous hailstorm that came out of nowhere, what a trip that was!

Have fun be safe!

Depending on your suspension and your pillions weight you may want to increase the pre load especially on the rear. Mine is up one click which now I leave for regular riding and am going to try two clicks next time I have a passenger.
RhadamYgg wrote:

RhadamYgg

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#9 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

btlegend wrote:my son is 13, he just turned 12 when he was ridding alone with me. didnt ride eith him much on the 250, but the 1100 we ride every time we get a schance.
Ahh so much older than my oldest son. He turns 6 in March. I was thinking of letting him ride with me when he turns 7, but that's way younger than you started out with your son.

RhadamYgg

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#10 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Timmy S wrote:I don't have a son but my nephew has ridden pillion quite a few times and loves it. He was 14 1/2 or so when I gave him his first ride on the bike.

I made him read all the MSF class books and printed a few articles for him to read about being a passenger on the bike. I quizzed him on it too. I purchased him a helmet that he liked (G-Max crusader). He always rides AGATT like me, wearing a leather jacket, gloves, long heavy denim pants, and high top boots. He usually holds on to the passenger handhold that is on the tail cowl of the bike.

His first ride was a slow one around his neighborhood so he could get used to the leaning aspects, (for me too because the bike does handle differently and is a bit slower). There was some helmet banging even though I was being as smooth as I could, I did some U turns and other maneuvers. After he was ok and having fun we went for a 50 mile jaunt to nowhere.

On his second ride we got stuck in a tremendous hailstorm that came out of nowhere, what a trip that was!

Have fun be safe!

Depending on your suspension and your pillions weight you may want to increase the pre load especially on the rear. Mine is up one click which now I leave for regular riding and am going to try two clicks next time I have a passenger.
RhadamYgg wrote:

RhadamYgg
Sounds like a great approach. My biggest concern is that my son might just - let go - either scared or curious. I'm thinking of something to literally attach him to me, but I'm not sure how that would work in the real world.

RhadamYgg