Moto Guzzi V7 Classic -- Personal Impressions?

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#11 Unread post by High_Side »

My only experience is sitting on one in California a couple of weeks ago at a dealer. Nice bike, but after my disappointment in owning a GT1000 retro I would have to ride one before buying one.

C_Rider
Rookie
Rookie

#12 Unread post by C_Rider »

I actually looked at the GT1000, but it didn't have the "full retro" look once I focused in on the front-end.

What, by the way, disappointed you about the bike -- I'm curious!

-Chuck

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#13 Unread post by High_Side »

cpirao wrote:I actually looked at the GT1000, but it didn't have the "full retro" look once I focused in on the front-end.

What, by the way, disappointed you about the bike -- I'm curious!

-Chuck
My wife owns an '05 Monster that has been a great bike. I assumed that the GT1000 would be somewhat similar quality but I understood that with a retro there comes some compromises. However the fueling on the GT was horrible, as was the suspension. The fuel range was also terrible and now Ducati markets it as a tourer! It's difficult to believe that it came from the same place as the Monster.

I think that with the GT, Ducati assumed that people would compare them to a '75 GT750 and be satisfied. Judging from the owners forums, alot of people are. It just didn't cut it for me at all.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#14 Unread post by jstark47 »

cpirao wrote:By the way -- I noticed you are in NJ -- you know there is a new dealership in Princeton. They are expecting a couple of classics in two weeks.
cpirao- Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't know. That's only 6 miles from my job. I'm going to cruise over there and check the place out when the weather gets nicer.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

C_Rider
Rookie
Rookie

#15 Unread post by C_Rider »

If I ultimately decide on the Guzzi, I may actually buy it from them as I'm not crazy over the dealership in Belleville.

I just reviewed a couple of YouTube vids and I'm even more inspired to pick it up -- I really like the darn bike !!!

I just wish I could test-ride it prior to forking over 9 grand

...and I want to ensure my wife likes it as she may end up riding it as well...[/i]

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#16 Unread post by RockBottom »

jstark47 wrote:
cpirao wrote:By the way -- I noticed you are in NJ -- you know there is a new dealership in Princeton. They are expecting a couple of classics in two weeks.
cpirao- Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't know. That's only 6 miles from my job. I'm going to cruise over there and check the place out when the weather gets nicer.
Wow! An Italian bike purchased in Princeton--that is absolutely off the scale on the snobmeter! (I bought my dog from a kennel in Princeton, so the same applies there)

C_Rider
Rookie
Rookie

#17 Unread post by C_Rider »

...so I finally made it to Brooklyn to get up close and personal with the only V7 in stock (within 100 miles).

First impressions:

- MG nailed the retro design, and it sounds sooooo good -- perfect exhaust tone
- Plastic all-around -- I was almost convinced that the gas tank was plastic -- other than the sales guy claiming otherwise
- The dual exhaust looked a bit odd being so spread-out on either side -- same width as the handlebars
- Perfect stance; very comfortable; and just oozes of Guzzi heritage

Hoping to make it back there on Saturday with my wife for a second opinion -- after all it is over $9K out the door -- OUCH

A left-over T100 is looking more and more appealing

...but it does sound niiiiiice

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#18 Unread post by jstark47 »

To be objective in comparison, a Bonne with a stock exhaust system sounds like a sewing machine. Bonne's can sound nice, but ya gotta drop some money to make it happen. I haven't heard a V7 Classic yet, but from your post it seems it sounds nice right off the showroom floor.

Just something to keep in mind when comparing prices.

(Besides, if you buy the V7, that's one less around that I'd be tempted to buy.....!!!) :twisted:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

C_Rider
Rookie
Rookie

#19 Unread post by C_Rider »

...but with the Bonne I'm able to pick it up used (or leftover) for a decent discount (I hope). I probably will not decide until I have the opportunity to ride both -- after all that's what truly matters.

I'm hoping there will be a V7 demo somewhere SOON. I've already notified my Triumph dealer that I'm interested in the demo day -- when the Triumph truck comes around with all the toys :D

C_Rider
Rookie
Rookie

#20 Unread post by C_Rider »

a few more key-strokes in research have revealed that the tank is indeed PLASTIC !!! What the!?! ...besides the dealer being wrong!?!

over 9 GRAND?

Yikes