speed four as a commuter bike?

Triumph Speed Four - Good Commuter Bike?

yes
50%
no
No votes
what's a speed four?
50%

Total votes: 2

Big B
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

speed four as a commuter bike?

#1 Unread post by Big B »

i really haven't heard much about this bike, other than its not made anymore. there are several around my area for sale (and for reasonable prices too) that i'm going to take a good hard look at if and when i get the vtx sold. anybody have any thoughts/impressions on the bike as a daily driver/commuter?
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by mgdavis »

It should be more comfortable than a repli-racer. It's not going to be as practical as a Honda Pacific Coast, but there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to make it work.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

shalihe74
Legendary
Legendary

#3 Unread post by shalihe74 »

Agree ^^^^. Only thing to consider would be the cost of tires. I usually see Speedys (both the Speed Triples and the Speed 4s) outfitted with sport tires, which can get pricey. You'd def. want to consider a more sport-tourer tire if you're going to commute ... unless you're lucky enough to have a twisty ride to work (which, seeing that you're in WI, I doubt is true. There's a great little restaurant in Watertown that I"m totally jonesing for now...)
[b][i]"Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." [/i]

2009 Triumph Sprint ST - daily commuter
2006 Triumph Daytona 675 - track bike
1999 Suzuki SV650 - track training bike[/b]

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#4 Unread post by High_Side »

I had one out for a ride when they were new and I was surprized by how much that I liked it. Better than the Speedtriple of the day as well as being comfy.

Big B

#5 Unread post by Big B »

shalihe74 wrote:Agree ^^^^. Only thing to consider would be the cost of tires. I usually see Speedys (both the Speed Triples and the Speed 4s) outfitted with sport tires, which can get pricey. You'd def. want to consider a more sport-tourer tire if you're going to commute ... unless you're lucky enough to have a twisty ride to work (which, seeing that you're in WI, I doubt is true. There's a great little restaurant in Watertown that I"m totally jonesing for now...)
which one, zwieg's or the chalet?

Big B

#6 Unread post by Big B »

High_Side wrote:I had one out for a ride when they were new and I was surprized by how much that I liked it. Better than the Speedtriple of the day as well as being comfy.
yeah, comfy is going to be a key aspect of this next purchase. i'm not too concerned about dropping money on tires though (i've got a guy....) but i want something that's going to be fun and not be a torture rack for the 45 minutes each way.

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by mgdavis »

I guess the only real way to answer that question is to go sit on one. See if you can find a dealer that will let you demo the used bike.
It just so happens that I know a guy who rides a Speed Four. He seems to find it comfortable.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I think it would work out just fine, it's a good semi-upright position, light and narrow bike (if you can lane-split in your area), has great power and handling too. My wife was looking at getting one in Nuclear Red (which was really like a pink).

Discontinued in 2006 (2006 last model year).

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.