Reflective Tape

Dragon on Wheels
Elite
Elite

Reflective Tape

#1 Unread post by Dragon on Wheels »

What's a good place to buy reflective tape? I've tried my local Wal-Mart, but they didn't have any. Amazon has a few things listed, but most of it is not sold by 'Amazon'. Instead it's sold by a separate store that lists things on Amazon. I know at least one dealer has short strips for helmets, but I was thinking of using larger pieces on the actual bike.

Also, has anyone had experience with the sew-on reflective fabric? Does it work well? Does the 'sewing on' part damage the equipment?(ie: would it hinder waterproofing or other things? I remember reading that sewing patches onto jackets made them no longer waterproof)

Thanks!
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

tymanthius
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 07 BMW F650GS

#2 Unread post by tymanthius »

streetglo.net is where I got mine. I like it. Wish it were tougher tape to put on pants/jacket tho. I'm sure it would be fine on the bike.

I have some pinstriping from them that I added to my son's helmet. Really improved it's looks. I'm planning on doing the same to my bike, once I wash it and get my g/f to help as she has a better eye for aesthetics.
'07 BMW F650GS :) His name is Mith.

wrecks
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: two wheeled vehicle

i know

#3 Unread post by wrecks »

This is the place where I go. I've used this stuff on my gixxer, cbr, drz, and my gf's ninja 250. They have a lot of selection & a choice of being reflective or non reflective. You can also get sheets if you are trying to do something custom. Here is their website address:
http://www.tapeworks.com/

Here's another place
http://www.reflectivelyyours.com/
I've ordered the skulls from this place and they're awesome.
cag 50cc (pit bike)
91 Ninja 250 (sold)
2k6 GSXR 600 (taken out by cager)
2k6 XT 225
2k8 CBR 1000rr
2k9 DRZ 400sm

waylander
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 1983 Honda CB550SC

#4 Unread post by waylander »

I just finished sewing on a reflective patch from Night fire and it looks really good on my textile jacket. got the tattoo wings in red and black and boy do they work! In a dark room with a flashlight they are amazing at reflecting light.

Service was great and I feel that they are defiantly worth the cash.
Here's the website.

Try the website at www.nightfirepatches.com

Hopes this helps.

waylander

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by mgdavis »

http://www.identi-tape.com/solas.html

Don't know if the preceding site is a good place to buy, it was the first Google hit.

SOLAS, aka "Safety Of Life At Sea" is a standard for safety equipment. The SOLAS reflective tape should be a very bright and durable product.

Aerostich carries reflective tape and stickers.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

Tennif Shoe
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: VTX 1800c

#6 Unread post by Tennif Shoe »

try a truck stop, they have reflective tape all over their rigs and it holds very well
03 Honda VTX 1800c
87 Yamaha TT350
86 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (sold) Have fun in Mexico Mr. Vulcan!

YES my spellin sucks, get over it, or you can be my personal spell check

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#7 Unread post by RockBottom »

I was pretty happy with this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NPNXP6
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#8 Unread post by slimcolo »

Tennif Shoe said
try a truck stop, they have reflective tape all over their rigs and it holds very well

Only problem is the DOT approved tape is 2" wide and changes from red to white every 6"

I have found the 2" red and 2" white tape (Duck Tape brand) at our local Alco store, and it comes and goes at Wal mart.

TorontoBoy
Elite
Elite

Re: Reflective Tape

#9 Unread post by TorontoBoy »

Dragon on Wheels wrote:...Also, has anyone had experience with the sew-on reflective fabric? Does it work well? Does the 'sewing on' part damage the equipment?(ie: would it hinder waterproofing or other things? I remember reading that sewing patches onto jackets made them no longer waterproof)
Any sewing will create holes in the underlying fabric. These holes usually shrink when the garment is washed, but they are holes nonetheless. You can waterproof them from the inside with a waterproofer or tape. Almost all waterproof garments are sewn together and then waterproofed.

3M has some great reflective tape that uses individual reflective triangular prisms. This is the best but is expensive.

Tips: Before you sew use some spray glue to stick the two pieces together and resist slippage. Wait for the glue to dry before sewing.

Wheatie
Rookie
Rookie

Reflective Tape

#10 Unread post by Wheatie »

I got mine at a local bike shop.... correct width for wheels. Only took 2 hours to apply (correctly !).. I find it not only enhances the appearance of my wheels, but it a definite safety factor as well......

:motorbike:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite, and further, always carry a small snake.

Bikes owned:
Kaw 100 (fried it !)
Yam DT250 (2) [desert racers]
Yam DT360 (stolen)
Yam IT200 (2) (best woods bike of it's day)
'83 Honda 650 Nighthawk (toured three states)
'93 Kaw Vulcan (good quaility junk !)
'86 Honda VFR700F (Sweet !)