"Be American, Buy a Harley"

bigmarc66
Rookie
Rookie

"Be American, Buy a Harley"

#1 Unread post by bigmarc66 »

Hey guys this is a slight rant, but I would love to hear some thoughts. I am in the market for a new bike. I have been watching quite a few youtube videos getting a feel for different models and accessories, but if there is one thing that kills me is this idea that to be American you must have a Harley. "Buy American to save the economy," "If you do not buy a Harley, you're un-American." I have seen them all throughout various web programs. I may be preaching to the choir, but these people need to give it a rest. The reason our economy is in the dumper right now is because people buy their $20,000 Harleys. Harley-Davidson does not make bikes for the average American. If people lived within their means and bought a "japanese" bike, then our economy would be fine. Right now we see all these "Americans" who bought their Harley, and can't pay for them. These same people are the ones who can't pay for their houses, one thing leads to the next, and we end up in a depression. Forget the name, just ride what you can afford, and forget the name.

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#2 Unread post by dean owens »

troll much. :roll:
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: "Be American, Buy a Harley"

#3 Unread post by jonnythan »

bigmarc66 wrote:Hey guys this is a slight rant, but I would love to hear some thoughts. I am in the market for a new bike. I have been watching quite a few youtube videos getting a feel for different models and accessories, but if there is one thing that kills me is this idea that to be American you must have a Harley. "Buy American to save the economy," "If you do not buy a Harley, you're un-American." I have seen them all throughout various web programs. I may be preaching to the choir, but these people need to give it a rest. The reason our economy is in the dumper right now is because people buy their $20,000 Harleys. Harley-Davidson does not make bikes for the average American. If people lived within their means and bought a "japanese" bike, then our economy would be fine. Right now we see all these "Americans" who bought their Harley, and can't pay for them. These same people are the ones who can't pay for their houses, one thing leads to the next, and we end up in a depression. Forget the name, just ride what you can afford, and forget the name.
I don't think you'll find many here who can disagree with your assessment on the "be American, buy a Harley" attitude.

However, I'd caution against going too strongly the other way and essentially blaming Harley buyers for the state of the economy.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to give your dollars to a domestic manufacturer when possible, and there's nothing wrong with buying a Harley.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#4 Unread post by MZ33 »

Welllll . . . do you realize this is a Canadian-based web site? You may also notice that there are several regulars here from other parts of the globe.

Not that you don't have a point. There is a strong sense of protectionism here in the U.S, but it's always been around. I've heard it all my life, from my first ride, (Nissan) through all my foreign vehicles, (Mazda, Corolla, Subaru). My parents actually bought a Subaru, their first "foreign" car, two years ago, because they were so impressed with mine. Meanwhile, I went and got a Chevy truck. 8)

I don't find it to be much different with HD, I guess. I have never had anyone question my choice of motorcycles based on brand, but I don't hang with a bunch of bikers, either. I also don't have a penchant for humongous, heavy motorcycles.

Took a class at a Harley dealership, though, and definitely felt a little different from the pack. No patches & no leather on me, for starters. :wink:
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#5 Unread post by slimcolo »

Stamped on the Kehin carb on my Harley "Made in Japan"

Stamped on the top of the engine on my Gold Wing "Made in USA" (still considered a japanese bike)

My Ford van says "Made in Canada" (still considered an American car)

My Nissan pickup says "Made in (not USA but) Tennessee" (still considered japanese)

japanese bikes are deemed "metric" but use 7/8" handlebars instead of 22mm like European bikes.

Last time an insurance agent asked me what size motor my Harley was, I said 74 cubic inches. (same as when I first insured it in 83) He said he needed it in CCs, so I asked him what motor his Chevy pick up had. He told me a 350, not how many CC.

XB08
Legendary
Legendary

#6 Unread post by XB08 »

Buying American dose help the American worker more then other brands. But just cause I own a Buell . I think you sould still get what you like and want.

king robb
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by king robb »

:roll:
2 wheels on the ground

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#8 Unread post by Brackstone »

I see what you are saying, and a lot of people are blaming the common person for living outside of their means. I'm sure if everyone lived closer then this problem wouldn't have happened.

But we are, and always have been a consumer based economy. If we didn't function like that and import so much and spend so much the world economies (as we have seen) take hits too. So I don't believe America will ever change when it comes to always wanting bigger and better things. We may temporarily alter our habits but it's not permanent.

But IMO it was the corporations, banks, whatever that ultimately took advantage of our need to live bigger and better lifestyles. Since there were no regulations in place to stop them or slow them down here we are.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

bigmarc66
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by bigmarc66 »

great to see some discussion, I am new to this forum, but have been active in other hobby forums. I love motorcycles, regardless of make or model. It just kills me to hear people who bash bikes for their name. In my book, riding is riding. Harley is no longer a motorcycle as it once was. Its an amazing machine, a joy to ride, a beautful rumble. I just rode a Road King in Rome and through Italian country side this past weekend. I love everything about Harley, but the fact is, its no longer a motorcycle. Its a following, a cult, an accessory line, and worst of all, unrealistically priced. Their is nothing wrong with pride in a name, I drive my Chevy truck. At the same time, I love all trucks. When Harley organizes their weekly rides for HOG owners, it makes me sad to think that to be in their club, you can't just love riding.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#10 Unread post by ceemes »

the day you see me owning a Harley is the day you know I suffered a major and completely disabling brain aneurysm, then again, the day you see me on on any cruiser is the day you know I suffered a complete lose of my somewhat shaky cognoscente powers.
Always ask why.