Too many fatalities this year already

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

My sincerest regrets...

#41 Unread post by Ryethil »

RhadamYgg wrote:I have confirmed that a fatality this past weekend was a cousin of one of the guys I works with wife. He leaves behind two young children.

The circumstances I have so far is this:

He was riding with two other riders in a turn. He either saw something or tried to avoid something mid-turn and lost control of his motorcycle.

I have no idea of high-side or low side. Apparently there was a fixed object involved. He was wearing a helmet (not known if it was a real helmet or a plastic dinner plate). He died of internal injuries.

He is described as a veteran rider. Other than the helmet I don't know about any of the other gear.

My friend indicates we may not know exactly what happened. My best guess is that he didn't like something about the turn and laid in some braking mid-turn.

Of course, today (he died Saturday, wake/funeral were Monday/Tuesday) my friend returned to work and probably came straight to my office indicating that I should sell my bike in the next year.

It has made me want to write something with the title of "Life, Death and the Risk and Benefits of Riding Motorcycles".

RhadamYgg
I'm at work so this is all the more poiniant...

I don't know the age of the victim but it really doesn't matter. We live in a world that is full of death. It really doesn't matter how safe we try to make ourselves, it can come from the anywhere. If we try too hard to keep ourselves completely safe, we commit the little death and our soul freezes. You say he was a veteran rider. That means to me that he rode a lot and he liked to ride. Maybe he died doing something that he liked doing. I can think of worse deaths. May he find peace is all that I ask of the Lord.

I do however grieve for all those he left behind. They had no part in the accident but their father, husband, friend is no longer with them. It is they who have to shoulder the passing of a rider into the night. For their sakes, I pray that God is merciful.

You say your friend wants you to sell your bike. Is that what you want? For we all will die in the end. It is how we live in the meantime that determines our quality of life. Do what your heart wants you to do. For it is better to have a bright and shining life then one full of darkness. Be true to yourself.

I'm a paramedic and I pick up the pieces. So I am costantly reminded how frail the human condition is. However, I still ride. I take precautions and they have worked in the past but one day they won't. But whatever happens, I still live for now. I won't die before my time worrying about what could happen. It may seem passe now but I find joy in every breath I breathe in and out. I won't hold my breath out of fear.

:rockon:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

Re: My sincerest regrets...

#42 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Ryethil wrote:
RhadamYgg wrote:I have confirmed that a fatality this past weekend was a cousin of one of the guys I works with wife. He leaves behind two young children.

The circumstances I have so far is this:

He was riding with two other riders in a turn. He either saw something or tried to avoid something mid-turn and lost control of his motorcycle.

I have no idea of high-side or low side. Apparently there was a fixed object involved. He was wearing a helmet (not known if it was a real helmet or a plastic dinner plate). He died of internal injuries.

He is described as a veteran rider. Other than the helmet I don't know about any of the other gear.

My friend indicates we may not know exactly what happened. My best guess is that he didn't like something about the turn and laid in some braking mid-turn.

Of course, today (he died Saturday, wake/funeral were Monday/Tuesday) my friend returned to work and probably came straight to my office indicating that I should sell my bike in the next year.

It has made me want to write something with the title of "Life, Death and the Risk and Benefits of Riding Motorcycles".

RhadamYgg
I'm at work so this is all the more poiniant...

I don't know the age of the victim but it really doesn't matter. We live in a world that is full of death. It really doesn't matter how safe we try to make ourselves, it can come from the anywhere. If we try too hard to keep ourselves completely safe, we commit the little death and our soul freezes. You say he was a veteran rider. That means to me that he rode a lot and he liked to ride. Maybe he died doing something that he liked doing. I can think of worse deaths. May he find peace is all that I ask of the Lord.

I do however grieve for all those he left behind. They had no part in the accident but their father, husband, friend is no longer with them. It is they who have to shoulder the passing of a rider into the night. For their sakes, I pray that God is merciful.

You say your friend wants you to sell your bike. Is that what you want? For we all will die in the end. It is how we live in the meantime that determines our quality of life. Do what your heart wants you to do. For it is better to have a bright and shining life then one full of darkness. Be true to yourself.

I'm a paramedic and I pick up the pieces. So I am costantly reminded how frail the human condition is. However, I still ride. I take precautions and they have worked in the past but one day they won't. But whatever happens, I still live for now. I won't die before my time worrying about what could happen. It may seem passe now but I find joy in every breath I breathe in and out. I won't hold my breath out of fear.

:rockon:
I like what you wrote. A lot of good stuff there - and some ideas that I'd like to quantify (if possible).

A lot of questions about his relatives death... And questions about terminology. What is a veteran rider?

I've decided to buy some more armor to protect against internal injuries (which apparently was the cause of death) and of course to always ride as aware as possible.

He was 45 years old. His children I believe were both under 10.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum

Re: Cell phone

#43 Unread post by Skier »

Rodboc wrote:
RockBottom wrote:I don't know about an increase but I got a little shiver this evening as I went through an intersection that I cross several times a week since a biker was killed there on Sunday. He was rear ended by a teenager while turning. I'll bet my house she was on her cell phone.
Celle phones while driving...never ending problem. I used to use may cell phone while riding : stupid. Now I do promote bluetooth devices as much s I can : my bluetooth headset changed my life.

I found a cool way to explain why headset are important :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPXwRgVf68w

I know it's a commercial...but useful

:D
Hands-free devices don't solve the issue of you are having a non-face-to-face conversation and it takes up a tremendous amount of your attention.

When you're on the road, be a motorist. Need to talk? Stop.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

jaskc78
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

Re: Cell phone

#44 Unread post by jaskc78 »

Skier wrote:Hands-free devices don't solve the issue of you are having a non-face-to-face conversation and it takes up a tremendous amount of your attention.

i wish more people understood that, Skier. here on my base they have a strict "Hands Free Device" policy. you can't talk on your cell phone while driving unless you use a hands-free device. that, of course, usually entails wearing an earpiece, which in most states is illegal while operating a motor vehicle. or at least half illegal, since headphones are illegal. i just don't get how they think that's any better than holding a cellphone to your head when most people don't keep their hands at 10 and 2, or even both hands on the wheel, once the driving test is over.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

Rodboc
Rookie
Rookie

bluetooth headset

#45 Unread post by Rodboc »

Skier wrote:
Rodboc wrote:
RockBottom wrote:I don't know about an increase but I got a little shiver this evening as I went through an intersection that I cross several times a week since a biker was killed there on Sunday. He was rear ended by a teenager while turning. I'll bet my house she was on her cell phone.
Celle phones while driving...never ending problem. I used to use may cell phone while riding : stupid. Now I do promote bluetooth devices as much s I can : my bluetooth headset changed my life.

I found a cool way to explain why headset are important :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPXwRgVf68w

I know it's a commercial...but useful

:D
Hands-free devices don't solve the issue of you are having a non-face-to-face conversation and it takes up a tremendous amount of your attention.

This is true too ! Even with the best headset, talking and driving is not that great...but when you spend like 3-4 hours each day on the road...
the safer the better

Skier

#46 Unread post by Skier »

I'm dragging this thread up from the depths for an update. This year had a decrease in rider fatalities!
To date, 62 fatalities were reported, compared to 71 for the same time period last year, according to the same preliminary data. For those working to reduce the number of fatal motorcycle accidents, any reduction in such crashes is welcome.

"So far, 2009 has been better than last year," said Steve Stewart, until recently the state coordinator for the Washington Motorcycle Safety Program.
Still too many but it's nice to hear about the decrease.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]