NEED SERIOUS HELP PLEASE

wes
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

NEED SERIOUS HELP PLEASE

#1 Unread post by wes »

Hello everyone need help. I have a XR250R. My rear suspension blew a seal.

I would like to know if I really need to change it out, or leave it alone.

I have been told it is ok to leave alone,since I do not ride the tracks just trails. Would like input from others,and how to get rid of fluid spewing all over. I'm just getting back ridding and going to West Texas in a month to ride.

Thanks guy's :frusty:

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

The longer you ride the bike with a blown shock seal, the sooner that shock stops any damping chores and becomes nothing more than a spring holder.

If you don't mind riding a bike with a wildly bouncing rear wheel, that's no problem. If you like having the back tire on the ground and giving traction, a properly damping shock is a necessity.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

AlphaZed
Veteran
Veteran
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#3 Unread post by AlphaZed »

BuzZz wrote:The longer you ride the bike with a blown shock seal, the sooner that shock stops any damping chores and becomes nothing more than a spring holder.

If you don't mind riding a bike with a wildly bouncing rear wheel, that's no problem. If you like having the back tire on the ground and giving traction, a properly damping shock is a necessity.
BuzZz is exactly right. Buy a new shock or rebuild the old (if possible.) It's a must!

wes
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by wes »

Thanks guy's. Ya'll want to come over and help. Do I need any special tools? Would like to do this myself.

AlphaZed
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by AlphaZed »

wes wrote:Thanks guy's. Ya'll want to come over and help. Do I need any special tools? Would like to do this myself.
The easiest way is to just replace the shock. Or remove the unit and send it to someone that specializes in rebuilding.

When things wear out or break on my bikes, I always consider it a chance to upgrade. If, for example, I was in your place, I'd be shopping for a Fox, Ohlins or other shock for my bike. I rationalize it by saying: "I'm gonna have to spend money anyway, so why not spend a little more and make it better than it was?"

That's just me though...

BuzZz

#6 Unread post by BuzZz »

AlphaZed wrote:

When things wear out or break on my bikes, I always consider it a chance to upgrade. If, for example, I was in your place, I'd be shopping for a Fox, Ohlins or other shock for my bike. I rationalize it by saying: "I'm gonna have to spend money anyway, so why not spend a little more and make it better than it was?"

That's just me though...
Absolutely, especially on my dirtbikes. When the stock part fails, I always upgrade to better aftermarket stuff if at all possible.

First off..... it is better, works better, made better, and lasts longer in almost every case. And as a bonus, it is often cheaper than stock parts, but even if it isn't, the money is worth it.

Changing a shock is not too difficult for anyone with basic wrenching skills, so as much as I would like to come help, your on your own, lol. I'm not allowed into the States anymore, being the threat to the public, freedom and all that's wholesome that I seem to be...... :frusty:

AlphaZed
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by AlphaZed »

BuzZz wrote:
AlphaZed wrote:

That's just me though...
Absolutely, especially on my dirtbikes. When the stock part fails, I always upgrade to better aftermarket stuff if at all possible.

First off..... it is better, works better, made better, and lasts longer in almost every case. And as a bonus, it is often cheaper than stock parts, but even if it isn't, the money is worth it.

Changing a shock is not too difficult for anyone with basic wrenching skills, so as much as I would like to come help, your on your own, lol. I'm not allowed into the States anymore, being the threat to the public, freedom and all that's wholesome that I seem to be...... :frusty:
Hey Wes,

Watch out if BuZzz does decide to help! He's one of those gun-toting, "Canadian World Domination" wackos! ;-)

BuzZz

#8 Unread post by BuzZz »

Yeah, but I usually let other riders slide......

Besides, right now I'm more focused on the other side of the world, domination-wise.

wes
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by wes »

Zed it will be ok. I'm TEXAN and we have more guns than the Canuks.

BuzZz

#10 Unread post by BuzZz »

And that's exactly what we want our target... I means friends.... down south to think....... :twisted:

A real Canucklehead never reveals how many guns they have, and we never keep them all in the same place at the same time.... :mrgreen: