RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

My First Year of Riding

#1 Unread post by RockBottom »

I hit the one year mark today. I ended with a bit over 16,000 miles. It was a challenged, rewarding time, and quite a journey from that terrifying first day of riding around the block in first gear, stalling 3 or 4 times after every stop. I made several mistakes along the way, but am satisfied with the overall outcome.

Deciding to ride was pure mid-life crisis: I took the plunge the day after my youngest daughter graduated from high school. As far as mid-life crises go, I figured a motorcycle was cheaper than a Porsche and safer than a 20 year old blonde.
I started badly, buying a bike on a whim, basing my decision more on brand and price than on rigorous research and comparison. But I lucked out--other than being sub-optimal to learn on, my BMW F800ST has turned out to be an excellent choice for me.

I then set out to teach myself to ride, armed only with Proficient Motorcycling and hubris. Somehow I muddled through. I had 600 miles under my belt when I took (and flunked) the BRC. Soon after that I took (and flunked) the test at the DMV for my M class license. After several months of daily practice, I passed the DMV test and the ERC.

I got through the initial learning process relatively unscathed. There were a couple of stall drops in the first week and one more during the ERC. They only resulted in minor scuffs, one broken turn signal lens, and some serious embarrassment (since I always waited until there was an audience present). I had a very vigilant and defensive driving style and was able to adapt and refine that for biking. It saved me from a number of potentially bad encounters with drivers and deer.

A couple of things helped my learning. First, I'm old enough to feel no need to impress anyone and never allowed my confidence to outstrip my ability. Second, I'm an autodidact (someone who teaches themselves stuff) and developed a rigorous process in which I became competent at one set of skills before moving to a more challenging one. Third, I have access to hundreds of miles of country roads with light traffic. This gave me a great learning environment (so long as I artfully dodged the wildlife and Amish buggies). I'd hate to have learned in an urban environment where I was thrown immediately into heavy traffic before I'd mastered basic techniques. Kudos to you who worked through that.

Toward the end of the year I'd return to routes I'd ridden a few months earlier and find that someone seemed to have removed the nerve-wracking curves and turns! My hands and feet developed a mind of their own. I went from treating the yellow "safe speed" signs for curves as divine writ to general suggestions (once I visually check for debris).

The vast majority of my miles were on my own bike, but I put 320 on a rented Harley Fat Bob at Myrtle Beach over Christmas, and will probably make that an annual event for a change of pace.

I don't know if I'll log as many miles in my second year of riding. I devoted a lot of time to the bike in the first year because I'd just finished writing a book (a three year project) and needed a psychological outlet. And I was dealing with a poisonous personnel problem at work. Now that I'm past both of those, I need to spend a bit less time riding so I can get some other stuff done. I do plan on some longer distance, multi-day trips. I didn't do any of those in the first year, and my biggest single day total was 320 miles. I'm also planning to retake the ERC at least every other year, and to work in the Riders Edge class on the off years.

Of course, my second year goal is now to have more than 16,000 miles.
Last edited by RockBottom on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#2 Unread post by jaskc78 »

grats on your one-year anniversary and good luck working towards those terrible twos. :P
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

Gunslinger
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006/Suzuki/SV650

#3 Unread post by Gunslinger »

Nice job RockBottom :mrgreen:. 16K is alot of miles to put under your belt in a year. I think that you have probably figiured out the best secret to becoming an experienced biker: Getting out there and actually riding. I have taken the MSF BRC, purchased several books and spent more hours than I care to admit cruising motorcycle forums online. Those things are fine but the best way to improve your skills is to get out on the street. Glad you made it through your first year, here's to many more. :cheers:

MTNMAN800
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by MTNMAN800 »

Congratulations RB, sounds like you had a great 1st year. You have certainly put a lot of thought and consideration into your riding. Its good to see someone consciously and methodically learning to ride. Within a couple of years you'll be a pro. Hope things get better at work for you.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#5 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Nice job man. You definitely outstripped my miles for my first year. Probably just under 6000 miles. Still, that isn't much of a slouch since I understand many bikers out there put less than 3K miles on their bike a year.

Not sure when I'll get the chance to do a lot of riding again with my kid situation, but at least I've got a foundation of both skills and hardware - I can at least ride when I feel there is time or a good day to commute.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

roncg41677
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by roncg41677 »

Congratulations, you are an official "biker" now :).

BTW, where can we find your books?
[i]Matthew 6:33 - But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.[/i]
'93 Yamaha Seca II
'92 Yamaha Seca II (Fixing up)

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#7 Unread post by zeligman »

thanks for sharing your story RB! Congratulations, and here's to another successful year!
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

Tennif Shoe
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: VTX 1800c

#8 Unread post by Tennif Shoe »

congrats on 1 year and 16000 miles
Last edited by Tennif Shoe on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
03 Honda VTX 1800c
87 Yamaha TT350
86 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (sold) Have fun in Mexico Mr. Vulcan!

YES my spellin sucks, get over it, or you can be my personal spell check

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#9 Unread post by havegunjoe »

I got a blond and a mustang for my mid-life crisis. The bike has come to me later in life and I love it. I told the blond, who is now my wife, that I have wanted a bike since I saw Brando in The Wild One as a kid. Always seemed like kids and work were more important and took all my money. Now that the kids are grown and gone I ride every chance I get.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

MTexile
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 09 FXD & 03 XL 1200C

#10 Unread post by MTexile »

Excellent job Rockbottom, I thought 5600 mi. my first year was hardcore. Rubber side down next year...
2009 Harley Super Glide ("Therapy")