SBK15
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Bad news :(

#1 Unread post by SBK15 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:47 pm

I haven't been on here in awhile dudes, so im BACKK.

with bad news of course..

well.. Im on my way home 2 days ago on my bike, and I gave it a little gas and got up to probly 90 then backed off. at the stop sign about 2 miles from the house I pulled in the clutch and heard METAL ON METAL SCRAPPING inside the ENGINE!!! OH NO!! I couldn't figure out what it was, I thought i bent a rod and it was eatin my cylinder wall. I turned it off, then back on and the metal on metal sound went away. now, it makes like a loud click, like a bearings knocked out, but my bike doesn't have engine bearings :frusty:

So I drove it home

So, it knocks, and makes that loud clicking sound. I couldn't figure it out what i did. out of curiousity I looked in the oil window seeing if I could see any metal shavings..

Guess what i Saw

NOTHING :shock: THERE WAS NO FREAKING OIL IN THE ENGINE!!!

I thought NO WAY I CHANGED IT LAST MONTH!!

So I then looked to see if there was a leak on the bottom of the engine then I noticed that the drain plug was freakin missing. So, I either forgot to tighten the drain plug, or some A$$ hole thought it was funny to take it out or loosen it up.

So im pretty much bikeless right now :(

If anybody has a bike for sale for less than 2k give me a shout!! :D

Im still in school and can't afford a new bike, or an engine rebuild.

My dad and I are gonna take the engine out and look at the damage some time soon, if it's not that bad I might be able to afford a rebuild, but it might cost around 3-4k. for that much I'd rather get a craigslist bike, or some other used bike.
-2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Current Ride
-2007 Suzuki DR650 - Sold
-2007 Kawasaki Eliminator - Sold

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#2 Unread post by JC Viper » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:40 pm

Disregard my clutch thing, I need more sleep...
Last edited by JC Viper on Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#3 Unread post by BuzZz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:55 pm

Your engine does indeed have bearings, just like every engine does. And since it ran for an undetermined amount of time with no oil, those bearings are ruined. So is the cam, piston, cylinder, clutch and tranny most likely. Next time you hear grinding noises in any engine, shut it down immediately and do not run it again until you fix the problem.

I got an 89 FJ1200 I'll sell for 2 grand. But you got to come get it, I'm not allowed to deliver it to the States. :roll:

:laughing:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

High_Side
Years Riding: 41
My Motorcycle: Multistrada, SuperDuke 990, Africa Twin

#4 Unread post by High_Side » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:22 am

Ebay yourself a replacement used engine from a reputable seller. The cheapest and easiest option for you at this point.

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#5 Unread post by paul246 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:46 am

High_Side wrote:Ebay yourself a replacement used engine from a reputable seller. The cheapest and easiest option for you at this point.
I agree. I have seen dealerships that regularly take new bikes and part them out on Ebay, they must make more money that way I suppose.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. That is why it is good to get into the habit of checking the oil every day, especially in a big thumper, especially if you have been using it off-road.

I seriously doubt anyone dumped your oil for you. Most likely, on your last change your didn't torque the drain bolt enough and it worked its way loose.

Again, regular checking for loose bolts on your thumper and keeping a close eye on your oil level would have helped prevent this unfortunate situation.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#6 Unread post by RhadamYgg » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:06 pm

Don't forget salvage bikes. You may find what you need there and just be out the dollars for someone to remove both engines and install the new engine in your bike.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

MTNMAN800
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by MTNMAN800 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:38 pm

I agree with the new motor idea. If you try to fix each and every part it will be overly time consuming and will probably drain you wallet worse than a new ( used ) motor would.