V-Star 950 Passenger Backrest / Sissy Bar - Manufacturers ?

Granpooba
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

V-Star 950 Passenger Backrest / Sissy Bar - Manufacturers ?

#1 Unread post by Granpooba »

Thinking about putting a " passenger " backrest / sissy bar on my V-Star 950. Thus my question is, does anybody know if any company offers such a product, besides Yamaha ?

The reason I ask is because I told my wife how much the Yamaha backrest costs for this bike. Her reply was, for the amount of time that she will be riding on the bike, she can not see why I should spend or even why Yamaha should be charging $500.00. Yes, I said $500.00 !! By the time you get done with mounting bars, pad and mounting hardware, you are looking at a $500.00 bill. Seems pretty steep to me !! :shock:

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Re: V-Star 950 Passenger Backrest / Sissy Bar - Manufacturer

#2 Unread post by dr_bar »

Granpooba wrote:Thinking about putting a " passenger " backrest / sissy bar on my V-Star 950. Thus my question is, does anybody know if any company offers such a product, besides Yamaha ?

The reason I ask is because I told my wife how much the Yamaha backrest costs for this bike. Her reply was, for the amount of time that she will be riding on the bike, she can not see why I should spend or even why Yamaha should be charging $500.00. Yes, I said $500.00 !! By the time you get done with mounting bars, pad and mounting hardware, you are looking at a $500.00 bill. Seems pretty steep to me !! :shock:
http://www.cobrausa.com/access_detail.p ... gory_id=18
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Granpooba
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by Granpooba »

Thanks for the info on the Cobra site and their backrests.
I will have to take a close look at their backrests.
Certainly less expensive than Yamaha ! :D

Granpooba
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by Granpooba »

Anybody know of any other Sissy Bar / Passenger Backrests besides Cobra.

Have emailed them a couple of times and suspect they are a whee bit brain dead. Can not tell me if their Mini Sissy Bar will fit the V-Star 950 with a Mustange Seat. Have asked them for measurements and only thing I got back was 4 inches. That really tells me a hell of a lot ! NOT !!

CC Ryder
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha Vstar

back rest

#5 Unread post by CC Ryder »

In customized my 950 Vstar with Yamaha's quick release back rest and rack. It is easy to use, and I am happy with how sturdy the construction is.

Has anyone had issues with the chrome around the speedometer on the tank flashing from below when you ride? I am finding it unbearable and am considering different options. 1. Trying to get someone to make a leather cover, 2. I am getting an estimate to have the center of the panel painted the same color as the bike.

Granpooba
Regular
Regular

#6 Unread post by Granpooba »

The trouble with Yamaha accessories are the prices.
After market accessories are about 50% less than Yamaha's .

CC Ryder
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha Vstar

#7 Unread post by CC Ryder »

[/quote]

What did you decide on?
Have you had any issues with wind buffeting at speeds over 80 klms per hour?

Granpooba
Regular
Regular

#8 Unread post by Granpooba »

CC Ryder wrote:quote
What did you decide on?
Have you had any issues with wind buffeting at speeds over 80 klms per hour?[/quote]

Have not decided on anything as of today. Have looked closely at both Cobra back rests and Yamaha's. Only reason if I do opt for a Yamaha is because it is removable. I only need a passenger back rests about 5% of my riding time. But as previously stated, Yamaha accessories are priced about 50% higher than everybody else. Local Yamaha dealer tried to tell me that the higher price was because of higher quality. I sincerely doubt that statement.

Have briefly chatted with other Yamaha owners and they stated that they were all happy with their after market accessories and they all agreed that the Yamaha's accessories are over priced.

I have a Sportech windshield on my bike and I have observed no buffeting problems. I have had the bike up to about 75 or 80 MPH and experienced no buffet. The one thing that I did start to feel at the higher speed was a slight buzzing feeling through the bike and handle bars.

Granpooba
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by Granpooba »

Granpooba wrote:
CC Ryder wrote:quote
What did you decide on?
Have you had any issues with wind buffeting at speeds over 80 klms per hour?
Have not decided on anything as of today. Have looked closely at both Cobra back rests and Yamaha's. Only reason if I do opt for a Yamaha is because it is removable. I only need a passenger back rests about 5% of my riding time. But as previously stated, Yamaha accessories are priced about 50% higher than everybody else. Local Yamaha dealer tried to tell me that the higher price was because of higher quality. I sincerely doubt that statement.

Have briefly chatted with other Yamaha owners and they stated that they were all happy with their after market accessories and they all agreed that the Yamaha's accessories are over priced.

I have a Sportech windshield on my bike and I have observed no buffeting problems. I have had the bike up to about 75 or 80 MPH and experienced no buffet. The one thing that I did start to feel at the higher speed was a slight buzzing feeling through the bike and handle bars.[/quote]

I am still thinking about a sissy bar / backrest for my 950. Have seriously considered an after market one, but the Yamaha ones do seem to be heavier, sturdier and from what I understand, is also removable.

Anybody purchase one and had it stalled ? What are your opinions ?

Granpooba
Regular
Regular

#10 Unread post by Granpooba »

Well, after much debate, I finally had the Yamaha Factory Passenger Backrest installed, yesterday. But, considering the fact that I already swapped out the crummy factory seat and installed a Mustang seat with rider back rest, I ordered a Mustang pad for the passengers back rest. :shock: