A new bike for me.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#21 Unread post by Johnj » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:38 pm

Jimmy, have you ever heard of being on topic. Maybe you should have wasted your first post in the Introduction forum.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

PacificShot327
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100

#22 Unread post by PacificShot327 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:58 pm

Johnj wrote:Jimmy, have you ever heard of being on topic. Maybe you should have wasted your first post in the Introduction forum.

Lawyer. Whaddya expect? :-)
"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." Alexis Carrel

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#23 Unread post by RockBottom » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:53 pm

XB08 wrote:A thumper is really a single cyl engine , not a twin... old single would make a thumping sound that's have they got there nick name...
That's what I was asking.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#24 Unread post by flynrider » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:54 pm

Hey JohnJ,

Nice to see someone resurrecting one of the old Kaw 750 twins. I was a big fan of them back in the days when I couldn't afford the 4 cyl. version :laughing: My first new bike was a '79 B model. $1999 right off the showroom floor. That was just the start. I eventually owned a '76B, an '80 LTD G and an '83 CSR M model. About the only one I didn't own was the '84 belt drive version.

You've got a good bike there. The engine is darned near bulletproof. I once ran one of mine really low on oil. When I changed the oil, a lot of little metal chunks came out. The bike was still running strong when I gave it away 30K miles later at 88K miles. Go figure!

Keep posting your progress!
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Johnj

#25 Unread post by Johnj » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:56 am

The sprockets and chain showed up on Friday at 3:00pm which is when my shift starts at the plant. Tuesday morning and I'm back at it, I have the front sprocket finished in about 15 minutes. I get the rear wheel off and the new sprocket won't fit. This bike is supposed to have spoke wheels on it, and the 750 twins with mag wheels always have drum rear brakes. I assumed (DANGER) the wheels and the swingarm were off a KZ650 because they had mag wheels with disk brakes. Those sprocket won't fit either. So I'm in the process of putting the correct swingarm and the 18in spoke rear wheel back on the bike. Other good news, the Progressive springs I ordered from Dennis Kirk arrived two days early.

:kewl:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Johnj

#26 Unread post by Johnj » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:05 am

Today I finished the work required to get the KZ750B back on the road. A MAC muffler has been installed in the muffler, new tires (Bridgestone Spitfire S-11) and a set of Progressive Springs in the front forks.

Johnj

#27 Unread post by Johnj » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Well I had to order parts to do a tune-up, which should be here any day. In the meantime I reinstalled the rear fender and started to reinstall the rear turn-signals when I discovered somebody fit a set of turn-signals right into the rear light. Now I'll have to replace the stalks on the front. Rock on.

keithvmx1200
Regular
Regular

#28 Unread post by keithvmx1200 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:52 am

A very nice bike,I like the colour, enjoy it and ride safe. 8)
Regards Keith UK

Johnj

#29 Unread post by Johnj » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:14 pm

I keep plugging away. The intakes are leaking air. They are also not available. I think I could get a machinist to make me a set.

No rack and I put the rear fender back on.

PioneerUrban
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Rebel

#30 Unread post by PioneerUrban » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:19 pm

That is a really nice looking bike.

Congrats on your find! Are you planning on keeping it, or is it for re-sell?
Current Ride:

2005 Honda Rebel 250

Used to own:

1992 Kawasaki Ninja 250: Sold
2001 Kawasaki Eliminator 125: Sold

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#31 Unread post by fireguzzi » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:47 pm

Looking good John.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

Johnj

#32 Unread post by Johnj » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:00 pm

I've spent the last 5 days trying to find Carb Holders (the intakes). I kept ordering the dang things, get my order confirmed, then a cancellation of the order for "Part discontinued". In the meantime I'm trying to talk one of the guys at work to make me a set. He has a lathe and a milling machine at home.
Anyway I went over to MO to check a new parts place in Raytown, (M&M Motorsports(I found some knee armor)) and on my way home I remembered there is a Kawasaki dealer in Independance who's not far off I-70. I go by and explain what I'm looking for. The parts guy checks his computer, then deadpans "Discontinued...and I show zero in house". I tell him OK , I'm going to make my own.
I wander off looking at their inventory. I spoke to an older (my age) guy with a young (18 to 20 maybe) girl who were looking at a 09 Ninja 250. They explain they are trying to figure out how to lower the seat so she can flat-foot it. I mention raising the forks in the trees, but the 09 seem to have a plastic cover. I suggested they try posting here as somebody may have the answer their looking for.
I go out to my truck and the parts guy call out to me waving me back inside. He'd gone to the back and looked for the part and found them.

:D

PacificShot327
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100

#33 Unread post by PacificShot327 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:57 pm

Johnj wrote: I go out to my truck and the parts guy call out to me waving me back inside. He'd gone to the back and looked for the part and found them.

:D
:clap: Yay!

Bike's lookin' really good!
"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." Alexis Carrel

Johnj

#34 Unread post by Johnj » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:06 am

So I have the parts, but my next day off is Wednesday. I go riding on Sunday morning, as I always do. Scott and I rode out to K-5 like normal, and stopped under I-435 to discuss today's ride. This is only the second time I've ridden the KZ750 on a Sunday morning ride, and last week the rear shocks were stiff. I changed them out for a stock set, and had them set to the middle position. Scott tell me to go ahead and run with it. Uhh I was bad. Scott says he stuck to 60ish and I got a good 6 or 7 seconds on him. He also says I run right past the braking points and just turn in (without braking) and go around the curves. The biggest difference between the liter bike and the twin is corner speed. The liter bike has big power to pull it out of the corners but the twin carries speed through the corner. It isn't the same set of sensations but both are good. I hope I can straighten out the KZ this week, I might have a chance to ride it at Heartland Park next weekend.
Anyway by the time we got to Leavenworth the nut holding my exhaust pipe on had fallen offand I ended up in a Price Chopper parking lot for an hour and a half while Scott went and got my truck. I now have two broken bikes. :(

Johnj

#35 Unread post by Johnj » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:22 pm

Broken bike no more. This morning I finally got my seat pan to the upholstery guy. He can't even get to it for two weeks, but I knew that.
Next I replaced the carb holders and the exhaust donuts on the KZ. Now it idles down and I can run around in town.

Johnj

#36 Unread post by Johnj » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 pm

Fat and sassy. The seat is recovered and most carb issues have been sorted out. I have to find a friend with a buffer so I can fix the paint. This KZ750 twin is just a hoot to ride. I bought a parts bike today. I got both front and rear spoke wheels and some other stuff for $60.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#37 Unread post by flynrider » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Wow! It's looking great, John. Your kinda making me wish I still had one of those in the garage.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Johnj

#38 Unread post by Johnj » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:43 am

Here's the parts bike I picked up yesterday. All I need is the wheels.

Flesher
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#39 Unread post by Flesher » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:16 pm

Nice work, the bike looks great.

As for the parts bike, you're gonna have your hands full cleaning those spokes :)

Johnj

#40 Unread post by Johnj » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:13 am

Not even going to try. I'm going to respoke with stainless or powder coated spokes.