to windshield or not to windshield that is the question

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#11 Unread post by Amdonim »

I would say as far as size, make sure it's below eye level. The one on my Shadow is too high, and I'm always having to decide whether to look over or under the top. Plus having it that high renders my helmet's vents useless.

As far as rainx, I'm pretty sure I read that you're not supposed to use anything that burns your nose on them, but they may have been my helmet visor, I can't remember. With windshields sometimes they can pull you into the windshield because of the low pressure field behind it, but I think that applies more to cruiser shields, idk. As long as I sit far enough back I don't notice it. Either way I need a new one when money allows.

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#12 Unread post by RockBottom »

MTexile wrote:Windshields are a matter of personal taste. I try and ride up to the first snowfall in Dec/Jan here. Riding when it's 38- 42 degrees F without a windshield and no electric suit defines Masochism
Hmmmm. I'm in Carlisle and I ride year round so long as there is no ice on the road with just a little sport windshield. I'll commute down to about 20 and do recreational rides in the mid 20s. I do use electric gloves.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

Schlepstream
Rookie
Rookie

#13 Unread post by Schlepstream »

All I can tell you is this: I bought a QD windshield for my Sportster about two years ago. I bought the QD so I could take it off for those rides when I wanted the bike to look "clean" (no WS). Funny thing though, the only time it comes off is when I wash my bike! Hmmm! :laughing:
Yaddi, yaddi, yadda!

Tennif Shoe
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: VTX 1800c

#14 Unread post by Tennif Shoe »

Schlepstream wrote:All I can tell you is this: I bought a QD windshield for my Sportster about two years ago. I bought the QD so I could take it off for those rides when I wanted the bike to look "clean" (no WS). Funny thing though, the only time it comes off is when I wash my bike! Hmmm! :laughing:

same here
03 Honda VTX 1800c
87 Yamaha TT350
86 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (sold) Have fun in Mexico Mr. Vulcan!

YES my spellin sucks, get over it, or you can be my personal spell check

PawDawg
Rookie
Rookie

#15 Unread post by PawDawg »

There always has to be a monkey wrench. I'm assuming Louisiana has the same heat problems we have in Texas. If that is so then a windshild can keep the flow of air from cooling your body. Just a thought...
[img]http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy46/pawdawg/2009SofttailCustom_newBike7Mod.jpg[/img][img]http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy46/pawdawg/2009ST1300A_RainMod-4.jpg[/img]

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

#16 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

I have ridden in some crazy weather. :anger: The worst of it being hail. With an open faced helmut, I was sure glad that i could tuck down behind my windshield before it ripped the rest of the skin off my face. When it is 0 degrees celcius, it helps with frostbite too. I have also been behind many trucks, that like to throw stones off the tires. My trusty windshield saved me again. I dont think i would like to have my front teeth busted out by a rock. :boxed:

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#17 Unread post by follow »

Skoal wrote:I don't think that it will make much difference on your mpg - whatever wind that you don't catch on the windshield, you will catch on your body. I have ridden both ways and I like the idea of having a windshield with a quick release. Sure is nice to have on long road trips.
Ah, but it does make a slight difference, at least on a ST. The windshield on the ST lessons the wind drag, the windshied is designed for aerodynamic, however all the way up it gets less MPG at the mid point is gets the best MPG roughly 3-4 MPG difference. Its cool watching the little computer screen telling you how many MPG it gets when you play with the automatic windshield. But keep in mind the shield is permanent on these bikes and simular ones like it.

Now on the RK, the MPG is pretty much the same with or without, but I need the shield if I am going to go more than 100 miles, other wise I would be pooped. It looks cool without but I have to have the shield.
Last edited by follow on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine

redwing
Elite
Elite

#18 Unread post by redwing »

Still no windshield for me. I rode in a light rain last Sunday. Wet streets but no puddles. It didn't seem to bad but I had the choice rather to ride or not. It seems I am taking chances just to get out when it's wet.

I'm thinking a Parabellum windshield winter and maybe a sport shield summer.

I haven't seem an adjustable windshield for a R1200R. It's a naked bike.

So Triumphgirl how long have you used a windshield? And riding? What kind of Triumph do you have?

Robert
2008 BMW R1200R and is it sweet...

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

#19 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

redwing wrote:So Triumphgirl how long have you used a windshield? And riding? What kind of Triumph do you have?

Robert
I have a 2007 Triumph America 865CC. I love that bike. I have always used a windshield. I have ridden my sisters bike once and she had no windshield and I didnt like it at all. I might however not mind it if I had a full face helmut. I just find it more relaxing when your not straining your neck for hours as the wind pushes your head back. :tricycle:

P.S. I have been riding for a few years now. I used to ride when i was younger, mostly dirtbike though. One day I decided, thats it, I miss riding and I am going to splurge and by a triumph, that I have always wanted since I was 15.

redwing
Elite
Elite

#20 Unread post by redwing »

Triumphgirl ... Canada can be cold and it has a large backyard. I like the Thunderbird... but I'm keeping my R1200R. I might get one someday so what can you tell me about the Thunderbird? I found some information about a bike with 865cc and called a Thruxton 900. It looks nice and a hand full.

Robert
2008 BMW R1200R and is it sweet...