Sport Bikes and sanity...

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

Sport Bikes and sanity...

#1 Unread post by Ryethil »

I'm not ready to ride yet I got a very interesting offer...

And I need help deciding.

I've been offered a new bike for certain considerations.

I've been on a lot of forums and other places and I get a pretty much agenda filled answers. What ever the site I was on seem to give me their reasons for doing what their site championed. Also, if I see one more person tell a newbie a 600 or even a liter bike is a good starting machine I'm going to save up my pennies and gun them down. :twisted:

What I'm being offered is my choice of a 2009 CBR1000RR ABS or a 2009 CBR600RR ABS. With either one, I'll get all stainless steel hydralic lines. oil cooler, a new power ported head, new performance exhaust with a power commander type of fuel injection support. A full waranty will come with bike but the modifications will void the extended paln. But I can turn my own wrenches and due my own tuning except I don't have a dyno though I'm friendly with somebody who does...

I will get from head to toe professional type body armor. (which I will lose wieght for). And I will not ride this bike with my MX helmet. :roll:

I will also get several track days and senior level riding/racing classes. Though I will only ride it on the street.

Also, if Laura plays the game, she will get a 2009 CBR600RR ABS and training in how to use it to its fullest. She wanted the Kawasaki when that was the opening price. Scared me to death... I think they will pay for armor for her too. Though I'm requiring that she not ride it for a full 6 months after she starts MSF classes. I want her to get experience before she scares herself to death on a machine that is a real crotch rocket.

All good stuff.

It will cost me but that is not what I'm here for.

Now this is where I would like those that are comfortable to answer to give their thoughts.

I'm 5'9" and 36" inseam so either seat hieght is acceptable.

I will have a stiff knee which I'm still not sure of but they say I'll have near normal use out of it. Which bothers me for I'm not even sure that I should just stay with Harleys because they would be possibly easier to ride around. Any thoughts?

I have racing experience but I'm really rusty. But I know the game and still have my reflexes.

We will take no long trips on them. Mostly rides with the couple of sport bike clubs in the area plus maybe some other outings.

Also, I've handled Liter bikes before.

The two bikes are so very similar that the 1000RR is actually lighter by a few pounds.

Now the questions, can anyone here think of a good reason for me to get the 1000RR except for pure excitement of it. Do I need to be that fast or should I be happy(er) with the 600RR and it's greater interaction with the rider. It also will be the same size and horsepower as Laura's and we can go riding together. We'll be cute since the bikes will be the same color.

I came into this arguement on other forums thinking the 600RR was a gelded 1000RR. I have however been shown the errors of my ways.

Am I too big to ride the 600RR? I wasn't before this and I can't try one on for size. Not here anyway.

Anyway does anyone have any thoughts. I'm not sure I asked the right or even the necessary questions so if anyone can think of any others please say so.

If it helps, it's a fiancial consideration in a family whose inner workings seem to come from a southern gothic novel except with the latest technology. I've not played any games with them for the last years but I've always had a say and with the finacial situation the way it is, it's louder this year. Which is anither consideration. It will be 6 months before I probably be able to ride the bike too. Is it worth getting a bike now that I will have to wait that long before I can effectively use it when the 2010 may be faster, better more technology.

I have some ideas so you're not going to make me do something I don't feel is right.

And in the end I have a XR1200 apart all over the shop as I add a few aftermarket parts to including a HP head. Maybe I don't need the bike after all... It isn't a Ducati Monster but maybe it will raise a few eyebrows.

Anyway thanks in advance. See I wanted to talk about motorcycles after all.... :laughing:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Honestly even though you have the experience, IMHO the 1200 and the 600 are both way too powerful to be good first bikes.

And besides, don't you have enough bikes already? :laughing:
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by Ryethil »

Wrider wrote:Honestly even though you have the experience, IMHO the 1200 and the 600 are both way too powerful to be good first bikes.

And besides, don't you have enough bikes already? :laughing:
Smart *ss... you don't know what those babies are costing me with my family right now. :roll:

But, yeah, I'm pretty scared that she will come to grief even though she wants it so bad. Maybe descretion is the better part of valor. If she can handle the Sportster then maybe next year will be soon enough for a more powerful bike.

Stuff, thanks for reminding me... :laughing:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#4 Unread post by BuzZz »

2009 or 2010..... don't matter, you are kidding yourself if you think you will use either model to their full abilities.

Same goes for displacement. Both bikes are faster on a track than 99.99% of the earth's population. The .01% that can use all of a 600 can be found on the starting grids of WSB and AMA.

Go for the cheaper option, whatever that is in the weird world of deals that you seem to exist in... (can you get me a deal on some of this shiit? :wink: )

600's are fun, so are 1000's, just different kinds of fun. The big bikes have the advantage of harder acceleration. The smaller bikes have less rotating mass in the engine, making any direction change easier. That's rotating mass.... it counts for a whole lot mare than just pounds. Even one more pound spinning at 10 000+ RPM is significant. Gyroscopes are a powerful force.

If you want to carve corners, go for the 600's. If you want to blur your vision with acceleration on corner exits, get a 1000.

Truth is, the 600's will be more pure fun.

Just my 2 cents, don't let the fact I am absolutely correct influence your decision. :mrgreen:

... but seriously.... who's d*ck do I have to suck to get deals like you get? :wink:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

beacon
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by beacon »

How many bikes does this one make it?

BuzZz

#6 Unread post by BuzZz »

Also.... consider getting a CBR125R (or 2). Laura would benefit from riding one for awhile before getting on a 600.

I'm considering picking one up (they are cheap right now, specially barely used) just because they are so fun.

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by Ryethil »

BuzZz wrote:2009 or 2010..... don't matter, you are kidding yourself if you think you will use either model to their full abilities.

Same goes for displacement. Both bikes are faster on a track than 99.99% of the earth's population. The .01% that can use all of a 600 can be found on the starting grids of WSB and AMA.

Go for the cheaper option, whatever that is in the weird world of deals that you seem to exist in... (can you get me a deal on some of this shiit? :wink: )

600's are fun, so are 1000's, just different kinds of fun. The big bikes have the advantage of harder acceleration. The smaller bikes have less rotating mass in the engine, making any direction change easier. That's rotating mass.... it counts for a whole lot mare than just pounds. Even one more pound spinning at 10 000+ RPM is significant. Gyroscopes are a powerful force.

If you want to carve corners, go for the 600's. If you want to blur your vision with acceleration on corner exits, get a 1000.

Truth is, the 600's will be more pure fun.

Just my 2 cents, don't let the fact I am absolutely correct influence your decision. :mrgreen:

... but seriously.... who's d*ck do I have to suck to get deals like you get? :wink:
Buzzz, I guess I will spill the beans so to speak...

I've acted stupidly and proved once agian that I can't/don't interact effectively with "normal" people. I'm not a normal person so I just don't treat regular people in a correct way.

I come from a family of means. I guess there isn't any crime in this but it's always hurt me when I tried to fit in there and I hurt when I don't try.

Anyway, I have some assets that I was given when I was 21 that I have control of. However, I never wanted to play the inter-family politics as I basically rejected everything and ran away.

I really do the bike trading I claim that I've done. However, this time I was offered certain concessions to get me to vote their way. Nevertheless, I have certain reservations about the whole deal. So they think that offering me the two bikes could help change my mind. And it would of normally done so. But I have to think a lot about it before I give my proxy.

So I've just blown my real fear. No one can have my real anything. Yes, I'm a stranger and really hate it. But it's not BS, though it really doesn't mean anything, for the truth is even stranger.

I don't know if I did any good by true confessions but I could buy any scammer and collect them like butterflies. I just wanted friendship and comaraderie. Yes, I had an accident, there is a Laurie and her Sportster even a sidehack that someone saw on this sight and offered me an ungodly abount of money for. But none of this is physiclly real to you so I can't make anyone believe and I hurt myself badly by trying. I felt it was better to work for a living and have small dreams than larger nightmares. But everything comes at a cost.

End of File

As for the two different bikes, Your giving me what I asked for. I'm like a school kid again. The 600RR makes more sense and is probably the better smiles to the mile. The 1000RR would be AWESOME but I'm not as sure it would be fun or just an andrenaline rush.

Also for the first time I wonder if I really want to push the envelope that hard. you're right (of course :laughing:) The CBR600RR esp. with ABS makes more sense. And there is the point that if Laurie and I ride together, I can be more supportive of her mistakes and I know she'll make plenty of them.

But should I wait for a year before accepting that she needs a bigger faster motorcyle. Just hold her in check (not out of control issues) so that she'll gain more real experience to handle the quick profiels of a true spot bike.

Who knows, in a year there might be a Harley version of a sport bike... Naw, never happen... :laughing:

:clapping:
Alex

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#8 Unread post by Ryethil »

beacon wrote:How many bikes does this one make it?
Actually right now without a players guide, I don't remember. Though many of them are wrecks and parts bikes. I do have a special group of bikes that I consider mine. Maybe 5 or 6 of them. That does include the Buell and the XR1200. The last bike that I built is the Rocker C, I use in my sig. That I think will be a keeper... :D
Alex

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by Ryethil »

BuzZz wrote:Also.... consider getting a CBR125R (or 2). Laura would benefit from riding one for awhile before getting on a 600.

I'm considering picking one up (they are cheap right now, specially barely used) just because they are so fun.
If she would ride it, I would. They're such a good bike and are treated with so little respect. It's kind of sad.
Alex

BuzZz

#10 Unread post by BuzZz »

So what your saying is there ain't no pole I can smoke to fill my garage.... bummer. :( There goes retirement plan # 783....

:laughing:

Why wouldn't she ride a CBR125? Must be something about the cruiser crowd that makes folks so set against anything that don't meet their idea of a 'real bike'

I went to the 'Bike Nite' at the local Honda dealer lastnight. First of all, I was the only sportbike there, the rest was about 25-30 cruisers of all kinds and about 4 ST1300's. I parked at the end of a row of bikes and walked around. I was talking to a guy who built a chopper with a CB750 engine and some other guy about his chopper. I noticed that a bunch of bikes near mine were leaving. But they weren't leaving. They just moved them to the other end of the line, away from my bike. Well fluck you too, all that chrome so near makes my bike weeze anyways.... :roll:

But the guys I was talking to came around to talking about one of them getting his GF her first bike. He rode a big twin bagger and felt if he got her an old sporty, it might be too small for her, but a 'real HD was too big. So in his opinion, that left nothing.

The chopper rider pointed to a Rebel parked out front (I was done talking, I was finishing my smoke and leaving, but still standing there listening). Bagger-buddy said the Rebel was a joke (direct quote) and the only thing worse would be 'one of them little 125 'peddle bikes'. He was actually pissedoff that the CBR125 was road legal.

I was done with that group. The chopper guy was alright, but he couldn't block the wave of ?whatthefuck? that smothered the place.

I fired up my loud-n-obnoxious GSXR and left as loudly as I could. I won't be back.

Oh yeah... they were selling hotdogs with proceeds to charity. I asked what charity, but the dog-flipper didn't know.?! I bet the dealership was the charity and pocketing the cash. I am disgusted with Sherwood Honda and I would recommend anyone here to avoid the place. The prices are way too high, the stock is craap, and the events are a scam. The people they attract are not very friendly either...... sorry to rant... :roll: